Back in the Win Column
MIDLAND, Mich. - Just what the doctor ordered! Five runs on 12 hits and some outstanding pitching helped guide the Great Lakes Loons to a 5-3 victory over the South Bend Cubs on Monday night at Dow Diamond. The win snapped a four-game skid for the Loons. It's just the second time they had lost four games all season.
After spotting the Cubs three runs in the top of the 1st inning, it was all Loons (75-48) the rest of the way.
James Outman stepped to the plate and did what James has been doing a lot of recently... leave the yard. It was his 14th home run of the season and it gave the Loons the jolt of energy they needed after going down early.
Four runs in the 4th was all Great Lakes would need to push ahead for good. With the bases loaded and two outs, Chris Roller tied the game with a two-run single to center field. Matt Cogen followed that up with a line drive down the left field line that plated the final two runs of the ballgame.
Maybe the biggest story of the night, and we're not trying to bury the lede here, was Robinson Ortiz (W, 2-5) entering the game in relief of Jack Little in the 1st inning. All Ortiz did was throw seven shutout innings allowing just three hits and striking out eight batters the rest of the way. And don't forget Mark Washington's two perfect innings for the save.
Outman, Justin Yurchak and Sam McWilliams each had two-hit performances for the Loons.
Aug 20: Two-fer Tuesday
Aug 21: Camels Bottle Opener Coaster Giveaway & FIREWORKS!
Aug 22: Lucky Hot Dog & Michigander Night
Aug 23: The Office Night feat. Leslie David Baker (aka Stanley Hudson)
Aug 28: BINGO Night
Aug 29: Hockey Night w/ the Saginaw Spirit
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Four-Run Fifth Catapults Kernels over River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Walk off Rattlers Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Winder Blows Bandits Away in 6-2 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Falls in Extras to Bees 5-3 - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Walkoff Win Denies Wisconsin's Opportunity to Pick Up Ground in Playoff Race - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Come from Behind Twice to Beat Clinton - Clinton LumberKings
- Late Rally Falls Short - Lake County Captains
- Lugs Slip Past Mistake-Prone Dragons - Lansing Lugnuts
- Trageton Shines as Hot Rods Edge TinCaps 4-3 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Zoom Past Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Start Not Enough as Cubs Fall to Loons 5-3 - South Bend Cubs
- TinCaps' Furious Rally Comes Up Inches Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Back in the Win Column - Great Lakes Loons
- Lansing Edges Dayton 4-3; Road Trip Finale Set for Tuesday at Noon - Dayton Dragons
- BG Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Lake County Captains to Wrap up Inaugural Hispanic Community Outreach Campaign as Picantes de Lake County on August 31 - Lake County Captains
- South Bend Cubs Play Three Games at Home this Week - South Bend Cubs
- Scolamiero Named Player of the Week - Lake County Captains
- Luis Rijo Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 19 vs. Bowling Green (Game 124) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Great Lakes Loons Stories
- Go Green! Go Blue! Watch Party Coming to Dow Diamond October 31
- Dow vs Midland Football Watch Party Tickets on Sale Friday
- Loons to Host High School Football Watch Parties at Dow Diamond
- MiLB Announces 2020 Season Canceled
- Loons Join MiLB's CommUNITY First Campaign