TinCaps' Furious Rally Comes Up Inches Short
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The TinCaps nearly rallied back from four runs down, but fell one run short in a 4-3 loss to the Bowling Green Hot Rods (Tampa Bay Rays affiliate) on a sunny and warm Monday night at Parkview Field.
The Hot Rods (33-23, 71-55) scored four runs combined between the first two innings (two runs in the first, two runs in the second) and then rode a stellar start from Zack Trageton on their way to victory. Trageton, a 20-year-old from Las Vegas, threw a career-long seven shutout innings with two hits allowed and six strikeouts. The right-hander allowed just three TinCaps base runners in his first six innings of work.
Fort Wayne's (24-32, 57-67) best chance to score off Trageton came in the seventh, when the 'Caps loaded the bases with two outs via an error, a walk, and a fielder's choice. Yet, Trageton bore down to finish his outing with a strikeout and leave the bases loaded.
The TinCaps crawled closer with a run in the eighth. Jawuan Harris tripled leading off the inning and later came home to score on a Chris Givin sacrifice fly. Harris now has 23 extra-base hits this season.
Fort Wayne's bullpen turned in a third straight stellar performance, as Cody Tyler (2.0 IP), Franklin Van Gurp (2.0 IP), and Mason Fox (1.0 IP) combined to go five scoreless innings with four strikeouts and two hits allowed. So far in the series, the 'Caps bullpen has tossed 14.2 scoreless innings with 19 total strikeouts and only six hits allowed.
The TinCaps entered the ninth down 4-1, and then things got interesting. First, Michael Curry smacked his eighth home run of the season leading off the inning. Then, the 'Caps put runners on first and third with two outs and Harris coming to the plate. He lined a sharp double to the left-field wall, scoring the runner at third, Justin Lopez, instantly. Bowling Green's left fielder, Jordan Qsar, had trouble picking up the ball, prompting Ethan Skender to try and score the game's tying run all the way from first. Yet, a perfect relay throw to home nabbed Skender by inches and handed the TinCaps just their third home loss in their last 13 games at Parkview Field.
Tuesday, Aug. 20 vs. Bowling Green (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Omar Cruz
- Hot Rods Probable Starter: RHP Shane Baz
Watch: Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Four-Run Fifth Catapults Kernels over River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Walk off Rattlers Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Winder Blows Bandits Away in 6-2 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Falls in Extras to Bees 5-3 - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Walkoff Win Denies Wisconsin's Opportunity to Pick Up Ground in Playoff Race - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Come from Behind Twice to Beat Clinton - Clinton LumberKings
- Late Rally Falls Short - Lake County Captains
- Lugs Slip Past Mistake-Prone Dragons - Lansing Lugnuts
- Trageton Shines as Hot Rods Edge TinCaps 4-3 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Zoom Past Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Start Not Enough as Cubs Fall to Loons 5-3 - South Bend Cubs
- TinCaps' Furious Rally Comes Up Inches Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Back in the Win Column - Great Lakes Loons
- Lansing Edges Dayton 4-3; Road Trip Finale Set for Tuesday at Noon - Dayton Dragons
- BG Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Lake County Captains to Wrap up Inaugural Hispanic Community Outreach Campaign as Picantes de Lake County on August 31 - Lake County Captains
- South Bend Cubs Play Three Games at Home this Week - South Bend Cubs
- Scolamiero Named Player of the Week - Lake County Captains
- Luis Rijo Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 19 vs. Bowling Green (Game 124) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.