Bullpen Steps up in River Cats Win
WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Four different River Cats pitchers-none of which had started a game this season entering today-combined to throw nine shutout innings in a 2-0 win over the Tucson Padres on Tuesday night at Raley Field.
Michael Taylor provided all of the offense that the Cats would need in the fourth inning, homering to left center off of Tucson starter Brando Kloess. The two-run shot was his 10th of the season, and gave the outfielder his 40th and 41st RBIs on the season. Brian Gordon locked down the win for the Cats, coming in in the eighth inning to record his sixth save with a two-inning effort.
Reliever Chris Resop was awarded the win for the Cats, working through an efficient 2.2 innings in relief for starter Pedro Figueroa in which he allowed one hit and no runs. Kloess took the loss for the Padres, giving up the Taylor blast in the fourth inning to provide the only runs of the game.
Figueroa's start marked his first of the season, as the lefty going into tonight had appeared in 26 games in relief posting a 4.75 ERA with 30 strikeouts. Resop's win was his first decision as a River Cat. His 2.2 innings of relief was his longest outing as a River Cat as well. After a reversal of scoring decision in Monday's game extended Grant Green's hitting streak to a season-high 11 games, an 0-for-3 night at the plate for the infielder officially put an end to his run.
The River Cats come back to Raley Field to take on the Tucson Padres and wrap up their longest home stand of the season on Wednesday's Independence Day Celebration. Arnold Leaon (0-0, No ERA) will make his debut for the Cats, with Matt Andriese (0-0, 3.60) set oppose him for Tucson.
River Cats Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, Flex Plans and group outings are on sale now, and can be purchased by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). Individual game tickets, starting at just $8, are available now at ticketmaster.com and at Raley Field's Round Table Pizza Ticket Office. For more information about the River Cats, visit www.rivercats.com . For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com .
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 3, 2013
- Express Drops Series Finale to Sounds 10-1 - Round Rock Express
- Brock Peterson Hits Game-Winner in Redbirds' 6-5 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Zephyrs Drop Two of Three in Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Prospects Lead Sounds' 10-1 Rout of Round Rock in Series Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Avoid traffic and Find Free Parking for Tucson Padres Star Spangled Spectacular - Tucson Padres
- Independence Day Fireworks Extravaganza Kicks Off Grizzlies' 7-Game Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- Standing room Only Tickets Available For Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rangers Agreed to Terms With Manny Ramirez on Minor League Contract - Round Rock Express
- 45th Anniversary Season Celebration Planned For July 12th - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks vs. Isotopes - Game Notes - July 3, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Storm Chasers Plan 45th Anniversary Season Celebration For July 12th - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs' Hatcher Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds To Wear Commemorative Camouflage Jerseys And Military Hats On Saturday - Memphis Redbirds
- Independence Day Weekend Fireworks, T-Shirt Giveaway Highlight Padres' Homestand - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers Ground Sky Sox, 10-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Padres Blanked by Sacramento 2-0 - Tucson Padres
- Bullpen Steps up in River Cats Win - Sacramento River Cats
- Six-Run Inning Propels Aces to Win - Reno Aces
- Late Inning Miscues Cost Chasers in 6-3 Loss - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- Grand slam dooms River Cats in Albuquerque
- Garcia's clutch hit the difference in 4-2 victory
- Gomez hit seals extra-inning win for River Cats
- Bernie Williams to Appear at Raley Field August 23 to Raise Awareness for IPF
- Seven-run inning helps River Cats top Aces