Padres Blanked by Sacramento 2-0
Four Sacramento pitchers combined to shut out the Tucson Padres 2-0 Tuesday. The loss was the eighth time this season Padres were held without a run in a game.
The lone scoring in the game occurred in the fourth when Michael Taylor lined a two-run home run over the center field wall to put the River Cats up 2-0. The home run was Taylor's tenth of the season. The Padres best opportunity to score came in the sixth when Daniel Robertson led off the inning with a double followed by a walk to Dean Anna to put two runners on base with no outs. Former Tucson Padre Evan Scribner then came into pitch for Sacramento and struck out two of the three batters he faced to end the threat.
Reliever Chris Resop earned his first win, while Brian Gordon saved his sixth game. Pedro Figueroa began the game on the mound in a spot start for Sacramento going 2.1 innings allowing one hit. The four River Cat pitchers yielded only five hits and four walks to the Padres in the game.
Tucson starter Brandon Kloess went four innings, allowing two runs on three hits and was charged with his third loss. Tucson relievers Ryan Kelly, Jorge Reyes and Brad Brach combined for four scoreless innings of relief with six strikeouts. The Padres remain in first place, a half-game ahead of Sacramento and Las Vegas.
Next Game: Wednesday, 7:05 p.m. at Sacramento (Athletics affiliate) - Tucson RHP Matt Andriese (0-0, 3.60) vs. Sacramento RHP Arnold Leon (0-0, -.--). Game coverage begins at 6:55 on 1290 AM The Source and tucsonpadres.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 3, 2013
- Express Drops Series Finale to Sounds 10-1 - Round Rock Express
- Brock Peterson Hits Game-Winner in Redbirds' 6-5 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Zephyrs Drop Two of Three in Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Prospects Lead Sounds' 10-1 Rout of Round Rock in Series Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Avoid traffic and Find Free Parking for Tucson Padres Star Spangled Spectacular - Tucson Padres
- Independence Day Fireworks Extravaganza Kicks Off Grizzlies' 7-Game Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- Standing room Only Tickets Available For Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rangers Agreed to Terms With Manny Ramirez on Minor League Contract - Round Rock Express
- 45th Anniversary Season Celebration Planned For July 12th - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks vs. Isotopes - Game Notes - July 3, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Storm Chasers Plan 45th Anniversary Season Celebration For July 12th - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs' Hatcher Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds To Wear Commemorative Camouflage Jerseys And Military Hats On Saturday - Memphis Redbirds
- Independence Day Weekend Fireworks, T-Shirt Giveaway Highlight Padres' Homestand - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers Ground Sky Sox, 10-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Padres Blanked by Sacramento 2-0 - Tucson Padres
- Bullpen Steps up in River Cats Win - Sacramento River Cats
- Six-Run Inning Propels Aces to Win - Reno Aces
- Late Inning Miscues Cost Chasers in 6-3 Loss - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tucson Padres Stories
- Triple-A Showdown at Kino Stadium from April 11 - 14
- Triple-A Baseball Returns to Tucson for Four More Days
- Feder To Receive Prestigious Presidential Citation At Baseball Winter Meetings Today
- Food Drive at Kino Stadium for Victims of Recent Mexico Weather Disasters
- Vamos a Tucson Mexican Baseball Fiesta Is Thursday Through Sunday