RedHawks vs. Isotopes - Game Notes - July 3, 2013
Today's Game: The RedHawks and Isotopes conclude their three-game series at 7:05 p.m. The RedHawks will host an Independence Day Celebration at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark with post-game fireworks, presented by Oklahoma Blood Institute.
Last Game: The RedHawks overcame an early deficit and scored the final four runs of the game in a 4-3 win Tuesday over the Isotopes. Albuquerque took a quick 3-0 lead in the first inning. Following three walks by RedHawks pitcher Asher Wojciechowksi, Justin Sellers hit a two-out, bases-clearing double. OKC notched five hits in the bottom of the frame, cutting the lead to 3-2. In the fifth, Brandon Laird tied the game with an RBI double and George Springer recorded an RBI groundout to give OKC the lead. Wojciechowski (4-4) settled in after the first inning and got the win, allowing three runs on three hits over six innings. He struck out five and walked a career-high six. Josh Zeid recorded his eighth save, ending the game with the tying runner at third base.
Today's Probable Pitcher: Wade LeBlanc makes his first start with the RedHawks and first since May 6 when he was with the Miami Marlins...LeBlanc began the season in Miami's starting rotation and made 13 overall appearances with the Marlins, going 1-5 with a 5.18 ERA...He was designated for assignment and claimed off waivers by Houston June 8. After making three relief appearances for the Astros, he was designated for assignment again. He cleared waivers and was outrighted to the RedHawks on June 28...This past weekend in Nashville, LeBlanc made two relief appearances and retired all four batters he faced. On Saturday he retired the final batter of the game to preserve a 6-4 victory and earn his first career save...In his career, LeBlanc has faced Albuquerque six times, going 2-2 with a 3.32 ERA...In November, 2011, he was traded from San Diego to Miami for current Isotopes catcher John Baker.
Against the Isotopes: 2013: 5-5 2012: 7-9 All-time: 87-82 In OKC: 48-33
The RedHawks have won six of the last seven meetings against the Isotopes in Bricktown...The RedHawks and Isotopes split their first eight meetings of the season at Isotopes Park (April 20-23 and June 1-4)...The RedHawks are hitting .301 against Albuquerque this season, but the Isotopes have outscored the RedHawks 65-49...The RedHawks team ERA is 5.65 against Albuquerque, but 4.10 against the rest of the PCL...OKC has hit 11 home runs over the first 10 contests...Last season the Isotopes won nine of the first 12 meetings before the RedHawks ended the season series with a four-game sweep in OKC...Jonathan Villar is batting .400 with a team-leading 14 hits against Albuquerque pitching and Che-Husan Lin has a .500 on-base percentage.
Recent Transactions: Yesterday RedHawks pitcher Brett Oberholtzer was recalled to Houston. Although originally slated to start tonight for OKC, Oberholtzer worked two innings of relief in Houston last night, allowing three runs and five hits. In order to make room for Oberholtzer on the roster, the Astros optioned reliever Hector Ambriz to Oklahoma City.
The Laird Up There: Brandon Laird is batting an even .500 (14x28) during his current eight-game hitting streak -- his longest of the season. He's collected six multi-hit games during the streak with one home run, five doubles, and four RBI.
Villar Who Villar: Jonathan Villar has hit safely in each of his last eight games, batting .364 (12x33) with four multi-hit games and four RBI. The shortstop stole his league-leading 28th base last night. He ranks third with 83 games played and is fourth with eight triples.
20/20 Vision: After going 0-for-4 with three strikeouts in his Triple-A debut last Thursday in Nashville, George Springer has hit safely in each of his last six games, going 7-for-17 with two home runs and five RBI. Between his time with OKC and Double-A Corpus Christi, he has mashed 21 home runs and stolen 25 bases. He is the only player in all of professional baseball this season be a member of the 20/20 club. The next-highest stolen base total among players in the minors with 20+ HR is nine (Miguel Sano of AA-New Britain).
Starting Line: Over the last 17 games, the RedHawks starting rotation has posted a 2.45 ERA (28 ER/102.2 IP). In the last 22 games, OKC starting pitchers have allowed one or no earned runs 11 times, with 13 quality starts.
Shooting Stars: RedHawks starting pitcher Jarred Cosart and relief pitcher Jason Stoffel were named PCL All-Stars yesterday and will play in the Triple-A All-Star Game Wednesday, July 17 in Reno. Cosart (7-4) ranks second in the PCL with a .205 opponent average, third with a 2.98 ERA, tied for third with seven wins, and tied for fourth with 90 strikeouts. Although Stoffel began the year in Double-A, he has performed extremely well since his promotion, posting a 2-0 record with a 1.89 ERA over 23 appearances.
Error 404: The RedHawks have tied a season high each of the past two nights by comitting three errors. Five of the eight times they have committed three errors in a game this season have been against Albuquerque. They have committed 17 errors in 10 games with the Isotopes (1.7 per game), but only 55 in their other 75 contests (0.73 per game).
Acute Angle: Albuquerque outfielder Matt Angle has been a one-man wrecking crew against the RedHawks the past two seasons. He batted .448 against OKC last year and is 14-for-27 this season, bringing his career totals up to .482 (27x56) with two home runs and 11 RBI over 18 games. Although a fifth-inning flyout last night snapped a streak of 11 consecutive plate appearances reaching base safely, he has reached base safely in 14 of his last 17 plate appearances against the RedHawks (8 H, 6 BB).
Last Year's Fireworks: On this date last year, the RedHawks won a thrilling 11-10 game in 10 innings over the Memphis Redibrds in front of a packed house at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. Memphis scored a run in the ninth to tie the game and then another in the 10th to take the lead. In the bottom of the 10th, Fernando Martinez blasted a two-run walk-off homer for the win.
UPCOMING SCHEDULE AND PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS (ALL TIMES CENTRAL)
DATE TIME OPPONENT OKC PITCHER OPP. PITCHER
Thursday, July 4 6 p.m. @ New Orleans RHP Jake Buchanan (1-0, 3.60) LHP Brian Flynn (2-8, 4.02)
Friday, July 5 7 p.m. @ New Orleans RHP Brad Peacock (3-2, 3.06) LHP Duane Below (4-3, 2.64)
Saturday, July 6 6 p.m. @ New Orleans RHP Jarred Cosart (7-4, 2.98) RHP Matt Neil (2-3, 5.08)
Sunday, July 7 6 p.m. @ New Orleans RHP Asher Wojciechowski (4-4, 3.45) RHP Jared Rogers (3-2, 5.88)
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 3, 2013
- Express Drops Series Finale to Sounds 10-1 - Round Rock Express
- Brock Peterson Hits Game-Winner in Redbirds' 6-5 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Zephyrs Drop Two of Three in Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Prospects Lead Sounds' 10-1 Rout of Round Rock in Series Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Avoid traffic and Find Free Parking for Tucson Padres Star Spangled Spectacular - Tucson Padres
- Independence Day Fireworks Extravaganza Kicks Off Grizzlies' 7-Game Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- Standing room Only Tickets Available For Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rangers Agreed to Terms With Manny Ramirez on Minor League Contract - Round Rock Express
- 45th Anniversary Season Celebration Planned For July 12th - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks vs. Isotopes - Game Notes - July 3, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Storm Chasers Plan 45th Anniversary Season Celebration For July 12th - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs' Hatcher Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds To Wear Commemorative Camouflage Jerseys And Military Hats On Saturday - Memphis Redbirds
- Independence Day Weekend Fireworks, T-Shirt Giveaway Highlight Padres' Homestand - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers Ground Sky Sox, 10-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Padres Blanked by Sacramento 2-0 - Tucson Padres
- Bullpen Steps up in River Cats Win - Sacramento River Cats
- Six-Run Inning Propels Aces to Win - Reno Aces
- Late Inning Miscues Cost Chasers in 6-3 Loss - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- OKC Dodgers MVP Program Now Available Statewide in Oklahoma, Presented by Devon Energy
- Traxxas Monster Truck Tour at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark Postponed
- OKC Dodgers Announce 2019 Schedule
- Redbirds Rally Twice Sunday to Clinch Conference Title
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - September 9, 2018