Zephyrs Drop Two of Three in Omaha
OMAHA, Nebraska - Anthony Seratelli belted a three run home run as Omaha defeated the New Orleans Zephyrs 10-4 in front of a sell-out crowd of 9,023 at Werner Park. The Chasers took two of three in the series.
The Zephyrs fell behind 10-2, when Seratelli homered in the eighth inning. The Z's rallied in the ninth inning. Kyle Jensen homered to lead off the inning. The Z's loaded the bases and scored a pair of runs off of reliever Michael Mariot. The rally was extinguished when Buddy Bauman entered to get the final two outs.
The Z's had been limited to four hits through eight innings. The Z's picked up four hits in the ninth inning. New Orleans left nine on in the game and was four for twelve with runners in scoring position.
The Chasers scored three in the second inning off of Z's starter Doug Mathis. The Z's scored a pair of runs in the fifth inning to cut the lead in half at 4-2.
Omaha added a pair of runs in the sixth to extend the lead to 6-2. Starter Justin Marks pitched six and two third innings allowed 2 runs on four hits to earn the win.
Former Zephyr Brett Hayes had three hits in the contest, a single, double and triple. Hayes scored a run and drove in a run.
Mathis suffered the loss pitching five innings allowing six runs on eight hits.
Game Notes - The Zephyrs had not allowed a home run in 44 innings when Seratelli homered in the eighth. The Z's have allowed 72 home runs, third fewest in the PCL. The Z's had 14 more strikeouts in the game. The Z's have K'd the second most in the league.
Coming Up: The Z's return home on Thursday to open a seven game homestand. The Z's welcome in Oklahoma City on Thursday for the first game of a four game set. The Z's will start LH Brian Flynn (2-8, 4.02) against RH Jake Buchanan (1-0, 3.60) at 6PM. TV: Cox Sports Television #37 RADIO: WMTI 106.1 FM "The Ticket". PROMOTION: Fireworks and postgame concert.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 3, 2013
- Express Drops Series Finale to Sounds 10-1 - Round Rock Express
- Brock Peterson Hits Game-Winner in Redbirds' 6-5 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Zephyrs Drop Two of Three in Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Prospects Lead Sounds' 10-1 Rout of Round Rock in Series Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Avoid traffic and Find Free Parking for Tucson Padres Star Spangled Spectacular - Tucson Padres
- Independence Day Fireworks Extravaganza Kicks Off Grizzlies' 7-Game Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- Standing room Only Tickets Available For Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rangers Agreed to Terms With Manny Ramirez on Minor League Contract - Round Rock Express
- 45th Anniversary Season Celebration Planned For July 12th - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks vs. Isotopes - Game Notes - July 3, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Storm Chasers Plan 45th Anniversary Season Celebration For July 12th - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs' Hatcher Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds To Wear Commemorative Camouflage Jerseys And Military Hats On Saturday - Memphis Redbirds
- Independence Day Weekend Fireworks, T-Shirt Giveaway Highlight Padres' Homestand - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers Ground Sky Sox, 10-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Padres Blanked by Sacramento 2-0 - Tucson Padres
- Bullpen Steps up in River Cats Win - Sacramento River Cats
- Six-Run Inning Propels Aces to Win - Reno Aces
- Late Inning Miscues Cost Chasers in 6-3 Loss - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Orleans Baby Cakes Stories
- Miscues Prove Costly in Baby Cakes' Loss to Sky Sox
- Baby Cakes Snap Seven-Game Slide
- Baby Cakes Activate Giavotella
- 'Cakes Lose on Another Walk-Off, 8-7 in OKC
- Baby Cakes Homestand Opens Tuesday