Brown's Late Goal Lifts Nailers
WHEELING, WV- The Wheeling Nailers capped off a fantastic homestand in exciting fashion on Saturday night, as they improved to 5-0-0 at WesBanco Arena in January. J.C. Campagna tied the game at the 11:09 mark of third period, and Cam Brown scored the winning goal with two minutes left, as the Nailers knocked off the Norfolk Admirals, 4-2. Will King made 37 saves for his second straight win between the pipes.
The first period featured lots of opportunities, but Wheeling was the lone team to turn on the red light. The opening tally came at the 13:44 mark of the first period, as the puck was rushed into the zone by Reid Gardiner and Nick Sorkin. As the Nailers went hard to the net, Dan Milan stepped up into the left circle, and drove a shot into the top-right corner of the cage.
Norfolk tallied twice in a span of 1:15 during the middle frame to take a 2-1 lead. The tying goal came at the 5:25 mark. Domenic Alberga's pass deflected off of a skate to Alex Pompeo, who wound his way into the slot, where he slipped in a shot along the ice. Patrick D'Amico put the Admirals ahead, as he cut in from right-to-left, shoveling a shot into the left side of the net.
For the second night in a row, the Nailers put together a third period rally for their comeback win. The tying goal was scored at the 11:09 mark. Dylan Zink's shot from the blueline was gloved by J.C. Campagna, who backhanded the equalizer out of the air. With two minutes left, Wheeling took back the lead. Garrett Meurs cruised low on the right side of the zone, tossing a shot on goal that was knocked aside. However, the rebound kicked out to Cam Brown, who scored for the fifth game in a row, beating Ty Reichenbach through the legs. Campagna chased down a flip by Zach Tolkinen 47 seconds later, putting the icing on the cake with an empty netter for the 4-2 win.
Will King was stellar in goal for the second night in a row, backstopping the victory for the Nailers with 37 saves on 39 shots. Ty Reichenbach also played well, but was the losing netminder for Norfolk, as he stopped 44 of the 47 shots he faced.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2018
- OIL DROPS: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Fall to Royals, 6-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Five-Goal Explosion in 2nd Dominates Monarchs, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Beast Score Plenty of Goals and Silence Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Mychan to Replace Joly at 2018 CCM/ECHL All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: Wings End Lengthy Road Trip with Overtime Win in Idaho - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Win Eighth Straight with 8-1 Victory over Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Sweep Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Surge Lifts Fuel over Mallards - Indy Fuel
- Early Deficit Too Much in Loss to Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Heeter Stops 41 as Solar Bears Defeat Stingrays 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallard Rally Falls Short - Quad City Mallards
- Impressive Third Period Leads 'Blades Past IceMen 5-3 - Florida Everblades
- Americans Thump Oilers 7-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Top Beast in Close Game - Brampton Beast
- Physical Effort Goes Thunder's Way, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Brown's Late Goal Lifts Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Five-Game Road Trip Wraps up with 4-2 Loss to Nailers - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Finish Six Game Roadie with 3-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Beat up Railers, 3-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Lands Young Sniper Latta - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Michael Joly Earns Call-Up to AHL's Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Walker Called up to Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Winner Announced in ECHL's 30th Anniversary Memories Contest - ECHL
- Admirals Wrap up Road Trip in Wheeling - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Sign Hummelstown Native Dillan Fox and Have Another Shot At - Reading Royals
- Thunder Clipped by Grizzles, 4-2. - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap: Wings Led by Defensive Efforts in Win over Steelheads - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Score Four Straight to Defeat Rapid City 4-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Sivak's Pair Not Enough in Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Win Streak Snapped for Solar Bears in 4-2 Loss at Greenville - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Falter in Loss to Quad City - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Halt Winless Streak - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wheeling Nailers Stories
- Nailers Rally Late, But Fall Short in Norfolk to Open Season
- Nailers at Admirals Game Day Snap Shot, October 13
- Nailers Announce 2018-19 Opening Roster
- Alternate Jersey, Hall of Fame Class Highlight 2018 State of the Team Event
- O'Connor Backstops Nailers to Shootout Win