Physical Effort Goes Thunder's Way, 4-1
Glens Falls, NY - The Reading Royals, proud ECHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers, received a goal from Brian Morgan in a 4-1 loss to the Adirondack Thunder Saturday at Cool Insuring Arena. Nick Luukko, Matias Cleland and Michael Huntebrinker each had their first fights of the season. Reading registered 25 penalty minutes and Adirondack recorded 33. The Royals were 0-for-3 on the man up and Adirondack scored once (1-for-4).
Morgan has four goals and seven points with the Royals after starting the season with Pensacola (SPHL). He has played in 16 straight games since joining Reading.
The Thunder jumped out to a 4-0 edge before Morgan's tally late in the second. Shane Conacher had a goal and three points. James Henry (1g, 1a) scored for the second straight game against the Royals. The Thunder scored in the opening three minutes and managed a pair of goals in the first and second.
Mark Dekanich lost and made 25 saves. Drew Fielding denied 31 shots in the win.
Box Score: The Royals allowed a pair of goals in the first frame on odd-man rushes. Brian Ward jolted Adirondack ahead at 2:56 of the period with a two-on-one conversion. James Henry tossed the puck from the right circle to Ward at the left dot. Ward smacked it and scored. Shane Conacher recorded the secondary assist.
Next, with 4:43 left in the period, Henry scored his 13th of the season. A quick two-on-one developed at Royals line and Henry took a wrist shot at the right circle that eluded Dekanich. Conacher and Mathieu Brodeur received the assists.
The Thunder's Conacher netted a power-play goal with 8:00 left in the second and Tim Harrison made it 4-0 Adirondack with 5:01 left in the middle period.
Brian Morgan got the Royals on the board with a swaggering move at 18:58 of the frame. After receiving a pass up the right wing from Zajac, Morgan lowered his shoulder, swiveled to the right post and shot it by Fielding.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2018
- OIL DROPS: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Fall to Royals, 6-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Five-Goal Explosion in 2nd Dominates Monarchs, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Beast Score Plenty of Goals and Silence Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Mychan to Replace Joly at 2018 CCM/ECHL All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: Wings End Lengthy Road Trip with Overtime Win in Idaho - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Win Eighth Straight with 8-1 Victory over Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Sweep Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Surge Lifts Fuel over Mallards - Indy Fuel
- Early Deficit Too Much in Loss to Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Heeter Stops 41 as Solar Bears Defeat Stingrays 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallard Rally Falls Short - Quad City Mallards
- Impressive Third Period Leads 'Blades Past IceMen 5-3 - Florida Everblades
- Americans Thump Oilers 7-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Top Beast in Close Game - Brampton Beast
- Physical Effort Goes Thunder's Way, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Brown's Late Goal Lifts Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Five-Game Road Trip Wraps up with 4-2 Loss to Nailers - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Finish Six Game Roadie with 3-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Beat up Railers, 3-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Lands Young Sniper Latta - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Michael Joly Earns Call-Up to AHL's Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Walker Called up to Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Winner Announced in ECHL's 30th Anniversary Memories Contest - ECHL
- Admirals Wrap up Road Trip in Wheeling - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Sign Hummelstown Native Dillan Fox and Have Another Shot At - Reading Royals
- Thunder Clipped by Grizzles, 4-2. - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap: Wings Led by Defensive Efforts in Win over Steelheads - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Score Four Straight to Defeat Rapid City 4-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Sivak's Pair Not Enough in Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Win Streak Snapped for Solar Bears in 4-2 Loss at Greenville - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Falter in Loss to Quad City - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Halt Winless Streak - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Royals Tie Longest Shootout in Team History in 3-2 Loss to Newfoundland
- The Anthony Myers Movement Launches at Royals Home Game Saturday vs. Newfoundland
- Royals Burn Growlers at Santander Arena in Weekend Opener, 5-2
- Royals Host Growlers Friday with $1 Draft Beers, Pres. by Deibler Dental
- Defenseman Sam Becker Signs with Royals