Game Recap: Wings Led by Defensive Efforts in Win over Steelheads
BOISE, ID - The Kalamazoo Wings were backstopped by a vintage Joel Martin performance and lock-down defense on their way to a 3-2 road victory on Friday night at CenturyLink Arena.
After an inability to capitalize on a handful of chances in the first period, Kalamazoo's persistence paid off in the final minutes of the frame. While on a power play, Josh Pitt swung the puck to Jimmy Mullin, who undressed a defender with a shifty move, and roofed a backhand into the stick-side corner of the goal.
The Wings continued their control of the tempo, but surrendering a power play opportunity late in the second period allowed the Steelheads to tie the game at one. Throwing everyone at the goal to scramble Martin, Idaho received a hometown bounce near the net, and the puck landed on the stick of Justin Parizek, who fired in his 17th of the year.
The tie lasted just over three minutes before Kalamazoo flexed their muscles and took the lead right back. Scott Henegar gained the Idaho line along the left side, and floated a wrist shot towards the net. Relentlessly crashing to the goal, Brendan Bradley got his stick on the Henegar shot, sending the puck looping over the shoulder of the netminder and across the line.
Early in the third period and peppering Martin to try and equalize, the Steelheads garnered up a tying goal, courtesy of Connor Chatham. After Martin made a terrific save, the loose puck was blindly backhanded to the net by Chatham, who earned his seventh of the year at a critical moment.
Going to their fifth power play of the night, Kalamazoo continued their torrid man-advantage pace and Kyle Bushee generated what was the eventual game-winner. Bushee possessed the puck on the right wing side and looked to work a rink-wide feed across the zone. His pass rattled off the leg of a defender and darted straight to the net, where an unsuspecting *Philippe Desrosiers *allowed it to trickle in.
With time winding down and Desrosiers on the bench for an extra attacker, the Wings' defense slammed the door on the Steelheads' pressure and allowed Kalamazoo to grind out a 3-2 victory.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2018
- OIL DROPS: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Fall to Royals, 6-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Five-Goal Explosion in 2nd Dominates Monarchs, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Beast Score Plenty of Goals and Silence Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Mychan to Replace Joly at 2018 CCM/ECHL All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: Wings End Lengthy Road Trip with Overtime Win in Idaho - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Win Eighth Straight with 8-1 Victory over Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Sweep Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Surge Lifts Fuel over Mallards - Indy Fuel
- Early Deficit Too Much in Loss to Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Heeter Stops 41 as Solar Bears Defeat Stingrays 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallard Rally Falls Short - Quad City Mallards
- Impressive Third Period Leads 'Blades Past IceMen 5-3 - Florida Everblades
- Americans Thump Oilers 7-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Top Beast in Close Game - Brampton Beast
- Physical Effort Goes Thunder's Way, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Brown's Late Goal Lifts Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Five-Game Road Trip Wraps up with 4-2 Loss to Nailers - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Finish Six Game Roadie with 3-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Beat up Railers, 3-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Lands Young Sniper Latta - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Michael Joly Earns Call-Up to AHL's Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Walker Called up to Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Winner Announced in ECHL's 30th Anniversary Memories Contest - ECHL
- Admirals Wrap up Road Trip in Wheeling - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Sign Hummelstown Native Dillan Fox and Have Another Shot At - Reading Royals
- Thunder Clipped by Grizzles, 4-2. - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap: Wings Led by Defensive Efforts in Win over Steelheads - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Score Four Straight to Defeat Rapid City 4-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Sivak's Pair Not Enough in Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Win Streak Snapped for Solar Bears in 4-2 Loss at Greenville - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Falter in Loss to Quad City - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Halt Winless Streak - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Kalamazoo Wings to Host 2nd Annual Fan-Designed Jersey Contest
- Joel Martin Named Kalamazoo Wings Assistant Coach
- Joe Roberts Named Broadcaster of AHL's Utica Comets
- Wings Acquire Ryan Penny to Complete Futures Deal with Reading
- Wings Produce Finalists for Five End-Of-Season ECHL Awards