Early Deficit Too Much in Loss to Utah
Wichita, KS (Jan. 13th) - Wichita couldn't overcome an early deficit on Saturday night, losing 4-1 to Utah at INTRUST Bank Arena.
Ralph Cuddemi scored the only goal for the Thunder in the losing effort.
Utah scored twice in the opening period. Ryan Olsen stole a loose puck off a face-off, sped down the ice and fed Chris Leibringer in front to make it 1-0. Ryan Misiak scored at 16:25 to increase the lead to 2-0.
Cuddemi gave Wichita some life at 4:13 of the second. He fired a shot on Kevin Carr that squirted through the Utah netminder and just over the goal line to make it 2-1. The Grizzlies added their second shorthanded marker of the contest at 10:42 when Kyle Thomas beat Shane Starrett just inside the post to make it 3-1. Ryan Walters increased the lead to 4-1 at 17:59 as he floated away from a defender and beat Starrett from just outside the blue paint.
Wichita outshot the Grizzlies in the third period, 9-3. Carr was up to the task at every turn and the visitors won for the second night in a row.
Cuddemi collected his 13th of the season. Mark MacMillan added an assist, giving him a team-leading 28 points. Kevin Dufour extended his point-streak to 10 games with an assist. His 10-game point-streak is a new season-high.
Wichita went 0-for-3 on the power play. Utah was 0-for-1 on the man advantage.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2018
- OIL DROPS: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Fall to Royals, 6-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Five-Goal Explosion in 2nd Dominates Monarchs, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Beast Score Plenty of Goals and Silence Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Mychan to Replace Joly at 2018 CCM/ECHL All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: Wings End Lengthy Road Trip with Overtime Win in Idaho - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Win Eighth Straight with 8-1 Victory over Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Sweep Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Surge Lifts Fuel over Mallards - Indy Fuel
- Early Deficit Too Much in Loss to Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Heeter Stops 41 as Solar Bears Defeat Stingrays 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallard Rally Falls Short - Quad City Mallards
- Impressive Third Period Leads 'Blades Past IceMen 5-3 - Florida Everblades
- Americans Thump Oilers 7-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Top Beast in Close Game - Brampton Beast
- Physical Effort Goes Thunder's Way, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Brown's Late Goal Lifts Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Five-Game Road Trip Wraps up with 4-2 Loss to Nailers - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Finish Six Game Roadie with 3-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Beat up Railers, 3-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Lands Young Sniper Latta - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Michael Joly Earns Call-Up to AHL's Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Walker Called up to Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Winner Announced in ECHL's 30th Anniversary Memories Contest - ECHL
- Admirals Wrap up Road Trip in Wheeling - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Sign Hummelstown Native Dillan Fox and Have Another Shot At - Reading Royals
- Thunder Clipped by Grizzles, 4-2. - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap: Wings Led by Defensive Efforts in Win over Steelheads - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Score Four Straight to Defeat Rapid City 4-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Sivak's Pair Not Enough in Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Win Streak Snapped for Solar Bears in 4-2 Loss at Greenville - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Falter in Loss to Quad City - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Halt Winless Streak - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.