Sivak's Pair Not Enough in Loss
WINDSOR, CO - Peter Sivak struck twice in the second period to build a 2-0 lead for the Rapid City Rush, but Jake Marto started a stretch of four unanswered goals for the Colorado Eagles, including a pair by the ECHL's leading goal-scorer Michael Joly, to give the Eagles a 4-2 win on Friday night. The loss ends the Rush's current point streak at 4 games (2-0-2).
Both teams once again skated in a scoreless duel in the opening period, but wouldn't carry the zeroes over into the third period like Wednesday's counterpart. With 5:30 gone by in the second, Peter Sivak took advantage of a scramble in front of the Colorado net, set up by Anthony Collins in on the forecheck. Collins jammed the puck to Ian Brady behind the net, who zipped a behind-the-back pass to Josh Elmes on the blue line. Elmes' shot got through to Eagles goaltender Joe Cannata and was saved, but Sivak pocketed the rebound to give the Rush a 1-0 lead (Elmes and Brady assisted). Sivak made it 2-0 with 1:04 left in the period on a play started by Josh Elmes blocking a shot in his own zone. Elmes sacrificed, then kicked the puck to Sivak with speed through the neutral zone. Sivak rifled a snipe bar-down by Cannata to push the Rush to a 2-0 lead (Elmes had the lone assist). Exactly 14 seconds later, Jake Marto took advantage of disarray in the Rush zone, flew in at full speed to the far side, and whizzed a wrister by Rush net-minder Adam Vay to cut the Rush lead to 2-1 with 50.7 seconds left in the period (Garbowsky had the lone assist).
Colorado rode the momentum from Marto's late tally to eventually rip off four unanswered goals in earning the win. The ECHL's leading goal-scorer, Michael Joly, scored his first 3:01 into the third period on passes from Jesse Mychan and Matt Register from the far faceoff circle of the Rush zone to square the game at 2-2, then followed up 1:55 later with another tally from Register and Marto to give Colorado a 3-2 lead with 15:04 left in the game. J.C. Beaudin put an exclamation point on the scoreboard on the Eagles final power play of the game, shoveling one by Vay with 13:00 left on the clock to make it a 4-2 advantage for the defending champs (Brady Shaw and Collin Bowman assisted). The Rush flipped the tables on Colorado shortly after with some great chances deep in the Eagles end, but Cannata and company hung on to eventually give the Eagles a 4-2 victory in the second of three meetings this week against the Rush.
Adam Vay stopped 28 of 32 shots on goal in suffering the loss (4-8-1).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2018
- OIL DROPS: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Fall to Royals, 6-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Five-Goal Explosion in 2nd Dominates Monarchs, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Beast Score Plenty of Goals and Silence Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Mychan to Replace Joly at 2018 CCM/ECHL All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: Wings End Lengthy Road Trip with Overtime Win in Idaho - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Win Eighth Straight with 8-1 Victory over Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Sweep Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Surge Lifts Fuel over Mallards - Indy Fuel
- Early Deficit Too Much in Loss to Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Heeter Stops 41 as Solar Bears Defeat Stingrays 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallard Rally Falls Short - Quad City Mallards
- Impressive Third Period Leads 'Blades Past IceMen 5-3 - Florida Everblades
- Americans Thump Oilers 7-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Top Beast in Close Game - Brampton Beast
- Physical Effort Goes Thunder's Way, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Brown's Late Goal Lifts Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Five-Game Road Trip Wraps up with 4-2 Loss to Nailers - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Finish Six Game Roadie with 3-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Beat up Railers, 3-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Lands Young Sniper Latta - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Michael Joly Earns Call-Up to AHL's Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Walker Called up to Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Winner Announced in ECHL's 30th Anniversary Memories Contest - ECHL
- Admirals Wrap up Road Trip in Wheeling - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Sign Hummelstown Native Dillan Fox and Have Another Shot At - Reading Royals
- Thunder Clipped by Grizzles, 4-2. - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap: Wings Led by Defensive Efforts in Win over Steelheads - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Score Four Straight to Defeat Rapid City 4-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Sivak's Pair Not Enough in Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Win Streak Snapped for Solar Bears in 4-2 Loss at Greenville - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Falter in Loss to Quad City - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Halt Winless Streak - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.