Mallard Rally Falls Short
MOLINE, Ill. - Matt Rupert scored what proved to be the game winning goal and added an assist as the Indy Fuel (14-17-3) broke loose for three goals in just over three second period minutes before surviving the host Quad City Mallards' (9-22-3) third period comeback bid on the way to a 4-3 victory Saturday night.
The Fuel was on the power play when Robin Press kick-started the three-goal Indy outburst by breaking a 1-1 tie with a wrist shot from blue line at 8:34 of the second. At 10:25 Johnny McInnis stretched the Fuel lead to 3-1 by burying a rebound. Rupert jumped on another rebound to cap off the onslaught at 11:38.
The Mallards battled back with two third period goals from Alex Globke. Globke cut the deficit to 4-2 on a shorthanded breakaway at 2:36 of the third. The margin dwindled to a single goal when a bad hop left Indy goaltender Etienne Marcoux stranded behind the Fuel net and enabled Globke to backhand the puck into the unguarded cage from point blank range at 9:20. Marcoux (27 saves) and his teammates, would, however, rebound to hold the Mallards off the rest of the way.
Early in the night it seemed as if the contest might take a different course. The Mallards' Sam Warning wheeled through the right wing circle to backhand in the opening goal just three minutes, twenty-four seconds into the first period, but at 14:08 of the first Jack Burton's blast from the right wing circle evened the score at one and kicked off a run of four straight Indy goals.
The Mallards return to action on home ice with Marvel Superhero Night when they meet the Kalamazoo Wings next Friday at 7:05 p.m. The Mallards will wear special edition Captain America jerseys in that game. Captain America and Iron Man themselves will make a special appearance at that contest. The Mallards' game worn Captain America jerseys will go up for bid online in the wake of next Friday's game.
About the Quad City Mallards: One of the winningest teams in all of minor league hockey, the Mallards competed in the United Hockey League from 1995 through 2007; in the International Hockey League in 2009-10; and in the Central Hockey League from 2010 through 2014. The Mallards' proud history has seen them capture the UHL's Colonial Cup Championship three times (1997, 1998, 2001) and secure that league's Tarry Cup four times (1998, 2000, 2001, 2002) for the best overall regular season record. In 2001, the Mallards made professional hockey history, recording their sixth consecutive season with 50 or more wins, a feat that has yet to be matched.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2018
- OIL DROPS: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Fall to Royals, 6-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Five-Goal Explosion in 2nd Dominates Monarchs, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Beast Score Plenty of Goals and Silence Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Mychan to Replace Joly at 2018 CCM/ECHL All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: Wings End Lengthy Road Trip with Overtime Win in Idaho - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Win Eighth Straight with 8-1 Victory over Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Sweep Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Surge Lifts Fuel over Mallards - Indy Fuel
- Early Deficit Too Much in Loss to Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Heeter Stops 41 as Solar Bears Defeat Stingrays 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallard Rally Falls Short - Quad City Mallards
- Impressive Third Period Leads 'Blades Past IceMen 5-3 - Florida Everblades
- Americans Thump Oilers 7-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Top Beast in Close Game - Brampton Beast
- Physical Effort Goes Thunder's Way, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Brown's Late Goal Lifts Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Five-Game Road Trip Wraps up with 4-2 Loss to Nailers - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Finish Six Game Roadie with 3-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Beat up Railers, 3-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Lands Young Sniper Latta - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Michael Joly Earns Call-Up to AHL's Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Walker Called up to Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Winner Announced in ECHL's 30th Anniversary Memories Contest - ECHL
- Admirals Wrap up Road Trip in Wheeling - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Sign Hummelstown Native Dillan Fox and Have Another Shot At - Reading Royals
- Thunder Clipped by Grizzles, 4-2. - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap: Wings Led by Defensive Efforts in Win over Steelheads - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Score Four Straight to Defeat Rapid City 4-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Sivak's Pair Not Enough in Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Win Streak Snapped for Solar Bears in 4-2 Loss at Greenville - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Falter in Loss to Quad City - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Halt Winless Streak - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings