Komets Top Beast in Close Game
BRAMPTON, ONTARIO - Brandon Marino had two assists and Andrew D'Agostini made 41 saves but the Brampton Beast fell to the Fort Wayne Komets by a score of 5-3.
Brampton welcomed the Fort Wayne Komets to the Powerade Centre for a 7:15 PM showdown. It was Hockey Day in Brampton and the arena was filled with children of all ages who came out to support the Beast.
Brampton didn't disappoint and was able to find the back of the net first. With the Beast on the power play, David Vallorani was able to snipe his fifth of the season at 8:51.
Alex Foster got the puck over to defenseman Jamie Doornbosch who flipped it to Vallorani, who was hovering around the left circle. The veteran sniper lifted a beautiful shot just under the bar that beat Komets netminder Michael Houser.
At the other end of the ice, Andrew D'Agostini made some highlight reel saves and was able to keep out every shot he faced in the first. Brampton would head to the first intermission up 1-0 and with a small advantage in shots by a 15-14 count.
Brampton would add to their lead in the second period courtesy of the recently assigned forward Daniel Ciampini. He was able to convert on a beautiful set up by Brandon Marino that came on a backhand from behind the net. Doornbosch also recorded his second assist of the night on the play.
That goal made it 2-0 Brampton at the 11:35 mark. The Komets pushed back and got on the board off the stick of Gabriel Desjardins at 13:09.
The Beast didn't wait long to fire back and Marino found his linemate Chris Leveille for another Brampton goal. The captain sent a beautiful slap pass into the slot where Leveille snapped it home at 16:00.
Again, Fort Wayne pushed back and drew themselves within one with a goal from Bobby Shea at 19:16. Brampton would head to the locker room up 3-2 with the shots even at 27 apiece.
Fort Wayne would continue to press as the third began and would put up three unanswered goals from Jamie Schaafsma, Bobby Shea and Garrett Thompson.
Brampton would fall by a score of 5-3. D'Agostini finished the game with 41 saves on 45 total shots.
Notes: Molson Three Stars 3) Marino (BRA) 2) Leveille (BRA) 1) Shea (FWK). Both Brampton and Fort Wayne finished the night one-for-three on the man advantage.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2018
- OIL DROPS: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Fall to Royals, 6-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Five-Goal Explosion in 2nd Dominates Monarchs, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Beast Score Plenty of Goals and Silence Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Mychan to Replace Joly at 2018 CCM/ECHL All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: Wings End Lengthy Road Trip with Overtime Win in Idaho - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Win Eighth Straight with 8-1 Victory over Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Sweep Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Surge Lifts Fuel over Mallards - Indy Fuel
- Early Deficit Too Much in Loss to Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Heeter Stops 41 as Solar Bears Defeat Stingrays 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallard Rally Falls Short - Quad City Mallards
- Impressive Third Period Leads 'Blades Past IceMen 5-3 - Florida Everblades
- Americans Thump Oilers 7-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Top Beast in Close Game - Brampton Beast
- Physical Effort Goes Thunder's Way, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Brown's Late Goal Lifts Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Five-Game Road Trip Wraps up with 4-2 Loss to Nailers - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Finish Six Game Roadie with 3-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Beat up Railers, 3-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Lands Young Sniper Latta - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Michael Joly Earns Call-Up to AHL's Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Walker Called up to Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Winner Announced in ECHL's 30th Anniversary Memories Contest - ECHL
- Admirals Wrap up Road Trip in Wheeling - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Sign Hummelstown Native Dillan Fox and Have Another Shot At - Reading Royals
- Thunder Clipped by Grizzles, 4-2. - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap: Wings Led by Defensive Efforts in Win over Steelheads - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Score Four Straight to Defeat Rapid City 4-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Sivak's Pair Not Enough in Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Win Streak Snapped for Solar Bears in 4-2 Loss at Greenville - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Falter in Loss to Quad City - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Halt Winless Streak - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.