Monarchs Beat up Railers, 3-1
MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Manchester Monarchs received two goals from Zac Lynch and 23 saves from Branden Komm on their way to a 3-1 victory over the Worcester Railers on Saturday night at SNHU Arena.
The Monarchs (22-12-3-1) won despite being outshot by the Railers (15-16-3-2), 31-24, their first win when being outshot since Dec. 20.
The Monarchs opened the scoring when Zac Lynch netted his 17th goal of the season at 15:14 of the first period. While on the penalty kill, Michael Doherty blocked a shot in his own zone and cleared the puck high into the air. Lynch won the race to the puck with Railers goaltender, Mitch Gillam, in the high slot, grabbed the puck in the low right circle and fired the puck high into the open net to put the Monarchs up, 1-0.
The Railers tied the game when Kellen Jones scored his 9th goal of the season at 7:13 of the second period. Jones took a shot from the top of the left circle that ricocheted off Komm, but Barry Almeida tipped the rebound back to Jones in the slot, where he buried the puck into the back of the net.
Matt Buckles gave the Monarchs the lead back when he scored his 6th goal of the season at 13:23 of the third period. Seconds after a Monarchs power play began, Spencer Watson won a face-off back to the right point to David Kolomatis, who fired a wrister that Buckles tipped on its way to the net to put the Monarchs up, 2-1.
The Monarchs sealed the game when Lynch scored his second goal of the night at 18:44 of the final frame. Lynch took a serpentine route out of his defensive zone and flipped a backhand from the blue line into the empty net with Gillam pulled, to end the scoring, 3-1.
NOTES: David Kolomatis recorded the 160th assist of his North American career. The Monarchs scored their first power-play goal since Nov. 18. Martin Nemcik dropped the gloves with Yannick Turcotte at 3:22 of the first period. Matt Marcinew fought Mike Cornell at 4:45 of the second period. Jordan LaVallee-Smotherman and Ben Masella dropped the gloves at 9:13 of the third period. Worcester went 0-for-5 on the power play.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2018
- OIL DROPS: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Fall to Royals, 6-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Five-Goal Explosion in 2nd Dominates Monarchs, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Beast Score Plenty of Goals and Silence Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Mychan to Replace Joly at 2018 CCM/ECHL All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: Wings End Lengthy Road Trip with Overtime Win in Idaho - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Win Eighth Straight with 8-1 Victory over Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Sweep Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Surge Lifts Fuel over Mallards - Indy Fuel
- Early Deficit Too Much in Loss to Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Heeter Stops 41 as Solar Bears Defeat Stingrays 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallard Rally Falls Short - Quad City Mallards
- Impressive Third Period Leads 'Blades Past IceMen 5-3 - Florida Everblades
- Americans Thump Oilers 7-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Top Beast in Close Game - Brampton Beast
- Physical Effort Goes Thunder's Way, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Brown's Late Goal Lifts Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Five-Game Road Trip Wraps up with 4-2 Loss to Nailers - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Finish Six Game Roadie with 3-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Beat up Railers, 3-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Lands Young Sniper Latta - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Michael Joly Earns Call-Up to AHL's Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Walker Called up to Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Winner Announced in ECHL's 30th Anniversary Memories Contest - ECHL
- Admirals Wrap up Road Trip in Wheeling - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Sign Hummelstown Native Dillan Fox and Have Another Shot At - Reading Royals
- Thunder Clipped by Grizzles, 4-2. - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap: Wings Led by Defensive Efforts in Win over Steelheads - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Score Four Straight to Defeat Rapid City 4-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Sivak's Pair Not Enough in Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Win Streak Snapped for Solar Bears in 4-2 Loss at Greenville - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Falter in Loss to Quad City - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Halt Winless Streak - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Manchester Monarchs Stories
- Monarchs Take Sole Possession of Fourth with 4-1 Win over the Railers
- Growlers Snap Five-Game Losing Streak with 5-1 Win over Monarchs
- Manchester Monarchs Care Foundation Donates $7,500 to Elliot Hospital
- Monarchs Rack up Seven Goals on Railers in 7-4 Win
- Railers Gain Two Points on the Monarchs in 5-2 Victory