Heeter Stops 41 as Solar Bears Defeat Stingrays 2-1
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - The Orlando Solar Bears (17-17-4-1) got goals from Kale Kerbashian and Max Novak in the second period, and Cal Heeter turned in a 41-save performance as Orlando prevailed 2-1 over the South Carolina Stingrays (22-9-3-1) on Saturday night at the North Charleston Coliseum
Orlando's win, in addition to Atlanta's victory over Greenville, means the Solar Bears are now in a three-way tie with the Gladiators and Swamp Rabbits for third in the South Division; Orlando is seeded fifth as a result of tiebreaking procedures.
SCORING SUMMARY: Orlando: Kale Kerbashian (Sam Jardine), Max Novak [PP] (Kerbashian, Hunter Fejes). Goaltender: Cal Heeter (41/42).
Greenville: Paul Geiger [PP] (Patrick Gaul, Hampus Gustafsson). Goaltender: Jeff Jakaitis (18/20).
ON THE SCORESHEET: Kale Kerbashian made his return to the lineup for Orlando after missing Friday's game, and opened the scoring at 2:22 of the second period to give the Solar Bears a 1-0 lead when he made his way behind the South Carolina net and snapped a wrap-around attempt over the shoulder of Jeff Jakaitis. Sam Jardine provided assists on both Kerbashian and Novak's goals. The defenseman now has a two-game point streak (1g-2a). Max Novak netted a power-play goal to make it 2-0 for Orlando at 6:28 of the second period. The forward got his 12th of the season when he grabbed a rebound in the slot and snapped a shot past the glove of Jakaitis. Hunter Fejes picked up an assist on Novak's goal. Cal Heeter picked up his 11th victory of the season with 41 saves on 42 shots against.
NOTABLES: The Solar Bears improved to 4-0-0-0 against the Stingrays this season; the two teams face off again on Jan. 26 at the North Charleston Coliseum. The Solar Bears went 1-for-6 on the power play and 7-for-8 on the penalty kill. Kerbashian led Orlando with four shots on goal. The Solar Bears return home on Saturday, Jan. 20 when they host the Florida Everblades for Military Appreciation Night, presented by Hunter Vision at 7 p.m. at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center. Single-game tickets for the 2017-18 season are now on sale at the Amway Center box office and ticketmaster.com.
THREE STARS ~
1) Cal Heeter - ORL.
2) Paul Geiger - SC.
3) Sam Jardine - ORL.
About the Orlando Solar Bears: The Orlando Solar Bears are in their sixth season of operation in the ECHL, the premier "AA" hockey league in North America, and are the proud affiliate of the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs and the AHL's Toronto Marlies. The Solar Bears are owned and operated by the Orlando Magic and the DeVos Family, and play at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center, the 2012 Street and Smith's Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2018
- OIL DROPS: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Fall to Royals, 6-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Five-Goal Explosion in 2nd Dominates Monarchs, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Beast Score Plenty of Goals and Silence Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Mychan to Replace Joly at 2018 CCM/ECHL All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: Wings End Lengthy Road Trip with Overtime Win in Idaho - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Win Eighth Straight with 8-1 Victory over Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Sweep Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Surge Lifts Fuel over Mallards - Indy Fuel
- Early Deficit Too Much in Loss to Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Heeter Stops 41 as Solar Bears Defeat Stingrays 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallard Rally Falls Short - Quad City Mallards
- Impressive Third Period Leads 'Blades Past IceMen 5-3 - Florida Everblades
- Americans Thump Oilers 7-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Top Beast in Close Game - Brampton Beast
- Physical Effort Goes Thunder's Way, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Brown's Late Goal Lifts Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Five-Game Road Trip Wraps up with 4-2 Loss to Nailers - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Finish Six Game Roadie with 3-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Beat up Railers, 3-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Lands Young Sniper Latta - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Michael Joly Earns Call-Up to AHL's Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Walker Called up to Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Winner Announced in ECHL's 30th Anniversary Memories Contest - ECHL
- Admirals Wrap up Road Trip in Wheeling - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Sign Hummelstown Native Dillan Fox and Have Another Shot At - Reading Royals
- Thunder Clipped by Grizzles, 4-2. - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap: Wings Led by Defensive Efforts in Win over Steelheads - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Score Four Straight to Defeat Rapid City 4-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Sivak's Pair Not Enough in Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Win Streak Snapped for Solar Bears in 4-2 Loss at Greenville - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Falter in Loss to Quad City - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Halt Winless Streak - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.