Eagles Sweep Rush
WINDSOR, CO - The Colorado Eagles scored five goals in the first period, including four in the final five and a half minutes of the frame to power to themselves to an 8-1 win over the Rapid City Rush on Saturday night. With the win, Colorado sweeps the three-game set played this week (Rush went 0-2-1).
Colorado hammered the Rush for five goals in the opening period to take a 5-0 lead into the intermission. Starting off the scoring rally was Jake Marchment, who took advantage of a scramble in front of the Rush net and potted a rebound by Rush net-minder Christian Frey to give the Eagles a 1-0 lead (Ben Storm and Brady Shaw get the assists). The Eagles then went on a run in the last five minutes of the period, scoring four goals in a span of 3:35. First was Emil Romig, who took a pass from Matt Garbowsky and one-timed it top shelf to push the Eagles lead to 2-0 with 5:23 left in the first (Garbowsky and Shawn St-Amant assisted). Exactly 22 seconds later, Matt Register found Garbowsky on a "Hail Mary" pass from his own zone to the Rush blue line. Garbowsky had a wide open lane to skate through and rifled a shot over Frey's shoulder to give the Eagles a 3-0 lead with 5:01 left in the period (Register had the lone assist). With 2:12 left in the frame, Jesse Mychan received a pass from Garbowsky on a two-on-one in the zone, and despite the fact it was deflected, Mychan still managed to bury his shot by Frey to make it 4-0 Colorado (Garbowsky and Nolan DeJong assisted). Exactly 24 seconds after that, Ryan Harrison picked up a loose rebound on an initial stop by Frey in close range to put an exclamation point on the period with Colorado's fifth for a 5-0 lead with 1:48 left (St-Amant had the lone assist).
Chase Lang dashed the shutout hopes of the Eagles to put the Rush on the board in the second period. With 6:06 gone by, Lang patiently skated towards the Eagles net and backhanded a shot over the shoulder of Eagles goaltender Joe Cannata to cut the deficit to 5-1 (Ian Brady and Josh Elmes earned the assists). Colorado re-established their five-goal lead when Shawn St-Amant found Collin Bowman on a two-on-one in the Rush zone. Bowman zipped it by Frey to make it 6-1 Eagles with 6:53 left (St-Amant and Joey Ratelle assisted). Gabriel Verpaelst made it 7-1 on a second try from the blue line, and zipped it by Frey with 1:20 left in the second (Ratelle and Gage Ausmus assisted).
Matt Garbowsky put an exclamation point on the win for Colorado with a power play goal on their only opportunity of the night. Just six seconds into the lone Eagles man-advantage, and 6:00 into the third, Shawn St-Amant fired a cross-ice pass to Garbowsky, who blasted a one-timer by Frey to bring the game to its final score of 8-1 (St-Amant and Jake Marto had the assists).
Christian Frey suffered the loss, surrendering 8 goals on 30 shots in the defeat (1-7-1).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2018
- OIL DROPS: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Fall to Royals, 6-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Five-Goal Explosion in 2nd Dominates Monarchs, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Beast Score Plenty of Goals and Silence Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Mychan to Replace Joly at 2018 CCM/ECHL All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: Wings End Lengthy Road Trip with Overtime Win in Idaho - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Win Eighth Straight with 8-1 Victory over Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Sweep Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Surge Lifts Fuel over Mallards - Indy Fuel
- Early Deficit Too Much in Loss to Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Heeter Stops 41 as Solar Bears Defeat Stingrays 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallard Rally Falls Short - Quad City Mallards
- Impressive Third Period Leads 'Blades Past IceMen 5-3 - Florida Everblades
- Americans Thump Oilers 7-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Top Beast in Close Game - Brampton Beast
- Physical Effort Goes Thunder's Way, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Brown's Late Goal Lifts Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Five-Game Road Trip Wraps up with 4-2 Loss to Nailers - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Finish Six Game Roadie with 3-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Beat up Railers, 3-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Lands Young Sniper Latta - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Michael Joly Earns Call-Up to AHL's Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Walker Called up to Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Winner Announced in ECHL's 30th Anniversary Memories Contest - ECHL
- Admirals Wrap up Road Trip in Wheeling - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Sign Hummelstown Native Dillan Fox and Have Another Shot At - Reading Royals
- Thunder Clipped by Grizzles, 4-2. - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap: Wings Led by Defensive Efforts in Win over Steelheads - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Score Four Straight to Defeat Rapid City 4-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Sivak's Pair Not Enough in Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Win Streak Snapped for Solar Bears in 4-2 Loss at Greenville - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Falter in Loss to Quad City - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Halt Winless Streak - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.