Game Recap: Wings End Lengthy Road Trip with Overtime Win in Idaho
BOISE, ID - The Kalamazoo Wings capped off their season-long 12-day, seven-game road trip with their fifth win of the excursion, by toppling the Idaho Steelheads, 3-2, in overtime on Saturday night at CenturyLink Arena.
Surviving an early flurry of chances from the Steelheads, the Wings needed a few minutes under their belt before the wheels began to turn. Michael Garteig made seven early saves on Idaho chances, and Brendan Bradley eventually got Kalamazoo on the board first. Bradley carved into the Steelheads' zone and walked to the middle of the ice, where he sailed a wrist shot over the glove of Philippe Desrosiers and into the top corner for his eighth of the year.
Bradley's strike was the only goal of the first period and sent the Wings into the dressing room with a 1-0 edge.
The second period was a fast and physical stanza, with high-quality chances on both ends of the ice. Kalamazoo had the bulk of the scoring opportunities, but Desrosiers made 15 stops on 15 shots faced. Garteig faced eight shots from the attacking Steelheads, and the Wings' goaltender answered the call on each effort from Idaho. The scoreless second period sent the teams into the third period with the Wings gripping a 1-0 lead.
Trailing by a goal in the third period, the Steelheads equalized with an odd-man-rush up the ice after dodging a scoring chance in their own end. After the Wings were unable to capitalize on a point-blank try, Idaho gained possession and scurried ahead on a two-on-one. Cole Ully slid the puck across to Jefferson Dahl, who wristed the tying goal into the net.
Less than a minute later and looking to re-establish their lead, Kalamazoo used crisp puck movement to generate a chance on Desrosiers. J.T. Stenglein was able to steer the puck to the front of the goal, and Bradley hauled the pass in, patiently waited until a window opened, and deposited his second of the night.
As the back and forth chances continued into the waning minutes of regulation, the Steelheads earned a late power play opportunity and produced the game-tying goal. With Desrosiers pulled and two extra attackers on the ice, Idaho caused havoc in front of the net and the loose puck was spotted by Will Merchant, who poked in the tying tally with 35 seconds remaining in regulation. The goal knotted the game at two and sent the teams into a three-on-three overtime session.
2:25 into the overtime period, Kalamazoo earned the game winner, courtesy of Justin Taylor. Aaron Irving was fed the puck by Bradley, and tapped it into the slot area, where it was pulled in by Taylor. Spinning to his backhand, Taylor knuckled the puck to the net, where it slipped under the arm of Desrosiers to seal the Wings' road victory.
Next: Kalamazoo @ Quad City Mallards- Friday, January 19, 8:05 p.m., TaxSlayer Center.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2018
- OIL DROPS: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- Monarchs Fall to Royals, 6-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Five-Goal Explosion in 2nd Dominates Monarchs, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Beast Score Plenty of Goals and Silence Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Mychan to Replace Joly at 2018 CCM/ECHL All-Star - Colorado Eagles
- Game Recap: Wings End Lengthy Road Trip with Overtime Win in Idaho - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Win Eighth Straight with 8-1 Victory over Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Sweep Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Second Period Surge Lifts Fuel over Mallards - Indy Fuel
- Early Deficit Too Much in Loss to Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Heeter Stops 41 as Solar Bears Defeat Stingrays 2-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallard Rally Falls Short - Quad City Mallards
- Impressive Third Period Leads 'Blades Past IceMen 5-3 - Florida Everblades
- Americans Thump Oilers 7-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Top Beast in Close Game - Brampton Beast
- Physical Effort Goes Thunder's Way, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Brown's Late Goal Lifts Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Five-Game Road Trip Wraps up with 4-2 Loss to Nailers - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Finish Six Game Roadie with 3-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Beat up Railers, 3-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Lands Young Sniper Latta - Wichita Thunder
- Forward Michael Joly Earns Call-Up to AHL's Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Walker Called up to Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Winner Announced in ECHL's 30th Anniversary Memories Contest - ECHL
- Admirals Wrap up Road Trip in Wheeling - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Sign Hummelstown Native Dillan Fox and Have Another Shot At - Reading Royals
- Thunder Clipped by Grizzles, 4-2. - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap: Wings Led by Defensive Efforts in Win over Steelheads - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Score Four Straight to Defeat Rapid City 4-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Sivak's Pair Not Enough in Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Win Streak Snapped for Solar Bears in 4-2 Loss at Greenville - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Falter in Loss to Quad City - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Halt Winless Streak - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Wings Weekly: K-Wings Prepare to Retire Gagnon's #1 as a Part of 45th Anniversary Game
- Three Straight Goals K-Wings Past Komets
- Game Day: K-Wings Hit Halfway Point against Komets, Dirk Rejoins K-Wings
- Gardiner Records Gordie Howe Hat Trick But K-Wings Fall in Shootout
- Game Day: Home Portion of 2019 Kicks off Friday Night vs. Brampton