Brennan Named to Hockey Canada's Roster for 2019 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge
PRINCE GEORGE, BC- Hockey Canada announced Wednesday the 66 players selected to represent Canada at the 2019 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge (WU17), set for Nov. 2-9 in Medicine Hat, AB, and Swift Current, SK.
Prince George Cougars' 2003-born goaltender Tyler Brennan is one of six goaltenders named to Hockey Canada's roster. The 66 players will be divided into three teams- Team Canada Black, Team Canada Red, and Team Canada White. The three Canadian teams will compete against the Czech Republic, Finland, Russia, Sweden, and the United States.
The Winnipeg, MB product has played a pair of games this season for the Cougars and he picked up his first Western Hockey League (WHL) win, in his first career WHL start on October 5th against the Kelowna Rockets. In two games this season, Brennan has a 1.11 goals-against average (GAA) and sports a .950 save percentage (SV%).
Last season, Brennan, the Cougars' second pick, 21st overall, in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft, played for the Winnipeg-based Rink Hockey Academy (RHA) in the Canadian Sport School Hockey League. Brennan played in 21 games for RHA at the midget prep level and posted a 12-5-1 (W-L-T) record, to go along with a 2.69 GAA and a .909 SV%. He also had two shutouts. The 6'3, 185-pound netminder also played at the Canada Winter Games in February, as he appeared in four games with Team Manitoba.
"After a successful development camp with the top young players in the country, there were many difficult decisions made to select the 66 players that will compete at this year's World Under-17 Hockey Challenge," said Hockey Canada head Scout Brad McEwen. "We feel this group exemplifies that values of the Program of Excellence and will represent Canada with pride as we compete for a gold medal this November."
The Cougars will be represented behind the bench as well. Director of Player Development, Steve O'Rourke, will serve as an Assistant Coach for Team Canada Red, and Equipment Manager Ramandeep (Chico) Dhanjal will serve behind the bench for Team Canada Black.
The tournament opens with all three Canadian teams in action on Saturday, November 2nd. TSN will broadcast the semi-final on Nov 8, as well as the bronze and gold medal games on Nov 9. For more information on the 2019 WU17, visit www.hockeycanada.ca
Family Packs are on-sale. Get four tickets, four regular fountain pops, and a large family popcorn valued at $97 for just $60! Get your Family Pack at the TicketsNorth by Treasure Cove box office at the CN Centre, or go online to https://www.ticketsnorth.ca.
Images from this story
Prince George goaltender Tyler Brennan
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 16, 2019
- Raiders Rocket up to Third in Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- League High 3 T-Birds to Play for Team Canada at 2019 World U-17 Hockey Challenge - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Goaltender Joel Hofer to Play for Team WHL - Portland Winterhawks
- Addison, Cozens Named to CIBC Canada Russia Series - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Tips F Cole Fonstad, D Olen Zellweger Named to National Events for Canada, Team WHL - Everett Silvertips
- Connor Zary Named to Team WHL - Kamloops Blazers
- Nolan Maier & Kirby Dach Named to Team WHL for 2019 Canada Russia Series - Saskatoon Blades
- Smith and Beckman Named to Canada Russia Series Roster - Spokane Chiefs
- Winterhawks' Joel Hofer to Play for Team WHL - Portland Winterhawks
- Byram Named to Team WHL's Roster for 2019 Cibc Canada Russia Series - Vancouver Giants
- Team WHL Roster Announced for 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series - WHL
- Two Hitmen Named to Team WHL - Calgary Hitmen
- Korczak, Foote and Hamaliuk named to Team WHL for the 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series - Kelowna Rockets
- Allan Named to Canada's 2019 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge Roster - Prince Albert Raiders
- Royals Nolan Bentham Named to Hockey Canada's Under-17 Roster - Victoria Royals
- 16 WHL Players Selected to Represent Canada at World U-17 Hockey Challenge - WHL
- Hitmen Forward Sean Tschigerl to Play in 2019 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge - Calgary Hitmen
- Brennan Named to Hockey Canada's Roster for 2019 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge - Prince George Cougars
- Preview: Broncos Head to Kelowna Looking to End Slide - Swift Current Broncos
- Guenther Named to Team Canada for 2019 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Carson Lambos, Matthew Savoie Named to Team Canada Roster for World Under-17 Hockey Challenge - Winnipeg Ice
- Mini Packs on Sale Now - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Sward Named to Hockey Canada U-17 Roster - Spokane Chiefs
- Stankoven Named to Canada's Under-17 Roster - Kamloops Blazers
- ICE Players to Visit Local Schools, Read to Students as Part of Reading with the ICE Presented by Taylor McCaffrey - Winnipeg Ice
- Blades Lose Final Game of 5-In-7 Spurt - Saskatoon Blades
- Broncos Can't Solve Ramsay in Loss to Kamloops - Swift Current Broncos
- Tigers Defeat Blades 3-1 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Warriors Fall to Hurricanes - Moose Jaw Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.