Blades Lose Final Game of 5-In-7 Spurt
Medicine Hat, AB - The Saskatoon Blades have dropped the final game of their 5-games-in-7-days spurt, losing 3-1 to the Tigers in Medicine Hat. The loss, their first in regulation since October 1st, ends the Blades' point-streak at 7 games and their win streak at 4.
A Herculean effort by Nolan Maier kept Saskatoon in touch with Medicine Hat all night, which begun with Maier making 21 saves in the 1st period alone. The 18-year-old goaltender finished his night with 48 saves on 51 shots faced for a .941 SVS%.
Medicine Hat scored all three of their goals in the 2nd period while Zach Huber, the lone goal scorer for the Blades, sniped his 3rd goal of the season on the power play 9:56 into the 3rd. He was assisted by Riley McKay and rookie D-man Charlie Wright. Wright, who is still 15-years-old, notched his first ever Western Hockey League point with the assist.
The Blades' penalty kill extended their successful streak to 25 penalties killed straight, including two tense kills back-to-back when the scores were still level in the 1st period.
With his assist, McKay extends his point streak to six games (1G-5A). Chase Wouters won 18 of 24 face-offs attempted, and Scott Walford & McKay led the team in shots on goal with 4 apiece.
Saskatoon are back in action on Saturday night when they face the ICE in Winnipeg for the first game of a weekend back-to-back with the Manitoban club. Puck drop is at 6:30 CST.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 16, 2019
- Raiders Rocket up to Third in Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- League High 3 T-Birds to Play for Team Canada at 2019 World U-17 Hockey Challenge - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Goaltender Joel Hofer to Play for Team WHL - Portland Winterhawks
- Addison, Cozens Named to CIBC Canada Russia Series - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Tips F Cole Fonstad, D Olen Zellweger Named to National Events for Canada, Team WHL - Everett Silvertips
- Connor Zary Named to Team WHL - Kamloops Blazers
- Nolan Maier & Kirby Dach Named to Team WHL for 2019 Canada Russia Series - Saskatoon Blades
- Smith and Beckman Named to Canada Russia Series Roster - Spokane Chiefs
- Winterhawks' Joel Hofer to Play for Team WHL - Portland Winterhawks
- Byram Named to Team WHL's Roster for 2019 Cibc Canada Russia Series - Vancouver Giants
- Team WHL Roster Announced for 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series - WHL
- Two Hitmen Named to Team WHL - Calgary Hitmen
- Korczak, Foote and Hamaliuk named to Team WHL for the 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series - Kelowna Rockets
- Allan Named to Canada's 2019 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge Roster - Prince Albert Raiders
- Royals Nolan Bentham Named to Hockey Canada's Under-17 Roster - Victoria Royals
- 16 WHL Players Selected to Represent Canada at World U-17 Hockey Challenge - WHL
- Hitmen Forward Sean Tschigerl to Play in 2019 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge - Calgary Hitmen
- Brennan Named to Hockey Canada's Roster for 2019 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge - Prince George Cougars
- Preview: Broncos Head to Kelowna Looking to End Slide - Swift Current Broncos
- Guenther Named to Team Canada for 2019 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Carson Lambos, Matthew Savoie Named to Team Canada Roster for World Under-17 Hockey Challenge - Winnipeg Ice
- Mini Packs on Sale Now - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Sward Named to Hockey Canada U-17 Roster - Spokane Chiefs
- Stankoven Named to Canada's Under-17 Roster - Kamloops Blazers
- ICE Players to Visit Local Schools, Read to Students as Part of Reading with the ICE Presented by Taylor McCaffrey - Winnipeg Ice
- Blades Lose Final Game of 5-In-7 Spurt - Saskatoon Blades
- Broncos Can't Solve Ramsay in Loss to Kamloops - Swift Current Broncos
- Tigers Defeat Blades 3-1 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Warriors Fall to Hurricanes - Moose Jaw Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saskatoon Blades Stories
- Blades Unveil T-Shirt Design Contest
- Blades Partnering with Sasktel Centre & Saskatchewan Rattlers to Present First Ever Super Sports Saturday
- NHL Draft Profile: Rhett Rhinehart
- Wouters, Nutrien Raise $10,000 for Local Food Bank Through Face-Off for Hunger
- NHL Draft Profile: Tristen Robins