Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.)
May 3, 2019 | 7:05 p.m. ET | Sahlen Field | Buffalo, NY | Game # 27| Home Game # 13
BUFFALO BISONS (10-15, 5th, -6.5 North) vs. LEHIGH VALLEY IRONPIGS (17-9, 1st, +0.5 North)
RHP Jacob Waguespack (2-2, 4.62) vs. RHP Nick Pivetta (1-0, 3.75)
This evening the Bisons welcome the Lehigh Valley IronPigs into Sahlen Field for the first time this season. The two teams met in Allentown, PA last weekend, with the "Pigs bookending the weekend with wins over the Herd.
Last Game (Gm2): PAW 6, BUF 5 F/8
The Bisons were in search of the five-game series sweep against the Pawtucket Red Sox, and raced out to a 2-0 lead after the first inning. However, the two teams would trade the lead in the second game of the twinbill, with the game going to extra innings. Rusney Castillo was the lead runner for the PawSox in extras and scored the game-winning run on a sacrifice fly to keep Pawtucker from being swept.
Lehigh Valley (1-2)
The Herd has struggled against the Triple-A affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies the last several years. Buffalo is just 17-34 against Lehigh Valley in the last three seasons, including 4-14 in 2018. Last year the "Pigs dominated the series both at home and on the road, going 6-1 against Buffalo at the downtown ballpark.
Jacob Waguespack is making his second straight start against one his former teams. The right hander tossed five innings last Sunday at Coca-Cola Park, receiving a no decision for the first time on the season. It also marked the third straight start where Waguespack went five innings, while going at least five in four of his five starts in 2019.
Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
Lourdes Gurriel Jr. added three more RBIs between both games of yesterday's doubleheader to lead the Bisons with 21. He also has 21 hits in 14 Triple-A games this season, to go along with a .400/.719/1.119 slash line.
Jordan Patterson went a combined 5-9 with two extra-base hits in yesterday's DH split. Patterson collected a triple and an RBI while going 3-4 in Game One, and then clubbed a solo home run in the nightcap. The utilityman upped his batting average to .228 with a strong day at the plate on Thursday.
With this weekend's series, the Herd concludes its exclusive play within the IL North. Buffalo heads out on the road on Tuesday with stops at Gwinnett and Norfolk on a six-day road trip.
Blue Jays Update
Toronto (14-17) was swept in their three-game series against the Los Angeles Angels with a 6-2 loss late Thursday night. The team is now in Arlington, set to begin a weekend series with the Texas Rangers. RHP Trent Thornton starts the series opener against the Rangers tonight at 8:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 3, 2019
- Kramer Keeps Tribe in Victory Lane with Five-RBI Night - Indianapolis Indians
- Pivetta, IronPigs beat Bisons - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rivalry Continues as Columbus Clips Toledo - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Grounded by Pivetta, IPigs in 7-2 Defeat - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Offense Too Much for Bulls - Durham Bulls
- VanMeter Ties Franchise Record in 7-5 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Stripers Blast Past Durham, 11-3 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Fall Again in Norfolk, 10-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Falls to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in Series Opener, 9-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Green, Bats Lift RailRiders over .500 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Smeltzer Leads Wings to Win in Triple-A Debut - Rochester Red Wings
- Red Wings Late Burst Leads to Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Hens Home for An Epic Homestand: May 14-19 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (14-12) vs. Louisville Bats (11-17) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Interstate 81 Series Unveiled - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- They're Back: ZOOperstars at Fifth Third Field - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (11-17) at Indianapolis Indians (14-12) - Louisville Bats
- BB&T Ballpark to Host Team USA vs. Cuba Baseball Game on July 3rd - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Buffalo Bisons Charitable Foundation Donates $20,000 to City of Buffalo's COVID-19 Initiatives
- Mayor Byron Brown Thanks the Buffalo Bisons Charitable Foundation for Supporting Community During COVID-19 Crisis
- Bisons Mother's Day Sale Includes 25% OFF
- May 31st Micah Hyde Charity Softball Game at Sahlen Field Postponed
- Nominate a 'Community All-Star' to be Recognized by the Bisons