Knights Fall Again in Norfolk, 10-2
(NORFOLK, VA) - The Charlotte Knights dropped the second game of their four-game series with the Norfolk Tides by a score of 10-2 on Friday night at Harbor Park.
Making his first start for the Knights this season, Matt Tomshaw (L, 0-1) gave up one run in the first, three in the second, one in the third, and one in the fourth as the Tides built a big lead they wouldn't relinquish.
Charlotte got on the board in the third as Charlie Tilson led off the inning and went to second on an error. Two batters later, Zack Collins' RBI ground out plated Tilson to cut the Norfolk lead to 4-1. The RBI was Collins' team-leading 24th of the season.
Norfolk added four more runs in the seventh to reach double digits on the night. The Knights capped the night's scoring as Daniel Palka hit his third home run of the season, a solo shot to right-center in the top of the ninth.
Tomshaw suffered the loss after giving up six runs on 10 hits with four strikeouts in 3.2 innings. Colton Turner threw 2.1 scoreless innings before Zach Thompson gave up four runs in the bottom of the seventh. Back with the Knights after being optioned by the White Sox earlier in the week, Thyago Vieira threw a scoreless bottom of the eighth.
Offensively, Tilson had a pair of hits for the Knights while Palka's home run was Charlotte's only extra-base hit in the loss.
Charlotte and Norfolk continue their series on Saturday night at Harbor Park. Jordan Stephens (2-3, 8.20) is scheduled to get the start for the Knights. Pre-game radio coverage of the 7:05 p.m. game is set for 6:50 p.m. on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad will have the call for all of the action.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 3, 2019
- Kramer Keeps Tribe in Victory Lane with Five-RBI Night - Indianapolis Indians
- Pivetta, IronPigs beat Bisons - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rivalry Continues as Columbus Clips Toledo - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Grounded by Pivetta, IPigs in 7-2 Defeat - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Offense Too Much for Bulls - Durham Bulls
- VanMeter Ties Franchise Record in 7-5 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Stripers Blast Past Durham, 11-3 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Fall Again in Norfolk, 10-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Falls to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in Series Opener, 9-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Green, Bats Lift RailRiders over .500 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Smeltzer Leads Wings to Win in Triple-A Debut - Rochester Red Wings
- Red Wings Late Burst Leads to Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Hens Home for An Epic Homestand: May 14-19 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (14-12) vs. Louisville Bats (11-17) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Interstate 81 Series Unveiled - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- They're Back: ZOOperstars at Fifth Third Field - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (11-17) at Indianapolis Indians (14-12) - Louisville Bats
- BB&T Ballpark to Host Team USA vs. Cuba Baseball Game on July 3rd - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.