Stripers Offense Too Much for Bulls
DURHAM, NC - The Durham Bulls couldn't keep pace against the Gwinnett Stripers offense Friday night at the DBAP, falling 11-3. Kyle Wright (2-2) got the win for the Stripers, while Jake Faria (2-1) suffered his first defeat of the season for the Bulls.
The game looked promising for the Bulls early on, with two scoreless innings from Jake Faria to open the game, plus a sacrifice fly by Nick Solak to drive in the game's first run, making it 1-0. The Stripers were able to change the momentum shortly thereafter, with an RBI double by Austin Riley to tie the game at 1-1.
The Stripers bats piled on from there, beginning with an Alex Jackson solo home run, followed by an RBI double from Travis Demeritte and an RBI single by Luis Marte to make it 4-1 after four innings. A bases-loaded walk by Ryan LaMarre and another RBI double by Demeritte extended the lead to 7-1.
Jackson widened the lead once again on an RBI single in the sixth inning to make it 8-1. The Bulls offense finally had an answer for Wright, with solo home runs by Christian Arroyo and Jason Coats to cut the deficit to 8-3 in the seventh.
However, the comeback was not meant to be, as the Stripers continued their onslaught, notching three more runs on a deep three-run home run over the Blue Monster by Riley to make it 11-3.
The Bulls and Stripers have split the first two games and have three remaining in the five-game series. The two teams will battle again at 6:35 pm on Saturday night at the DBAP.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 3, 2019
- Kramer Keeps Tribe in Victory Lane with Five-RBI Night - Indianapolis Indians
- Pivetta, IronPigs beat Bisons - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rivalry Continues as Columbus Clips Toledo - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Grounded by Pivetta, IPigs in 7-2 Defeat - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Offense Too Much for Bulls - Durham Bulls
- VanMeter Ties Franchise Record in 7-5 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Stripers Blast Past Durham, 11-3 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Fall Again in Norfolk, 10-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Falls to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in Series Opener, 9-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Green, Bats Lift RailRiders over .500 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Smeltzer Leads Wings to Win in Triple-A Debut - Rochester Red Wings
- Red Wings Late Burst Leads to Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Hens Home for An Epic Homestand: May 14-19 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (14-12) vs. Louisville Bats (11-17) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Interstate 81 Series Unveiled - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- They're Back: ZOOperstars at Fifth Third Field - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (11-17) at Indianapolis Indians (14-12) - Louisville Bats
- BB&T Ballpark to Host Team USA vs. Cuba Baseball Game on July 3rd - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.