Green, Bats Lift RailRiders over .500
SYRACUSE, NY (May 3) - Consistent pitching throughout and some late power were the keys to success for the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders as they knocked off the Syracuse Mets 9-1 Friday night at NBT Bank Stadium.
RHP Chad Green got the start for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and was expected to go up to three innings, if he pitched efficiently - and did he ever. He struck out six batters over 3.0 IP and scattered a pair of hits as he helped the RailRiders open up an early 2-0 lead. In two appearances since being optioned back from the Yankees, Green has posted an impressive line: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 0R/0ER, BB, 11 K.
The 4th inning was a scoreless one from Cale Coshow, who lowered his season ERA to 2.70 with the effort. Meanwhile, scheduled starting pitcher Drew Hutchison tossed the final five innings to get credited with the save for the RailRiders. He ran into trouble in the 7th inning in which he was tagged for the only run plated by the Mets in the game. The Mets had runners at second and third base with no outs, and a run scored on a wild pitch to make it a 4-1 game at that juncture. Then Hutchison struck out the next three batters to take the potential momentum away from the Mets. In 5.0 IP, the righty struck out seven batters and allowed just a pair of hits while picking up his second win of the year.
Offensively, 8-of-9 batters for SWB picked up hits in the game. The bright spots were Billy Burns- who tripled home a run in the 2nd inning- and finished 3-for-4 with 3 RBI. Four other RailRiders picked up multi-hit performances including Cliff Pennington (2-for-4, 2 R, BB), Gosuke Katoh (2-for-5, HR, R, 3 RBI), Ryan McBroom (2-for-5, 2B, HR, 2 R, RBI) and Mandy Alvarez (2-for-4, R, RBI). In addition to the homers by Katoh and McBroom, Brad Miller clubbed a solo shot in the 5th inning to extend the RailRiders lead to 3-0 at that point.
The RailRiders and Chiefs return to action Saturday night for game two of the three-game series. SWB sends LHP Nestor Cortes (1-2, 5.81) to the mound against RHP Zach Lee (1-0, 6.33) for the Mets. Pregame coverage with Adam Marco and Adam Giardino begins at 6:05 p.m. on the RailRiders Radio Network.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 3, 2019
- Kramer Keeps Tribe in Victory Lane with Five-RBI Night - Indianapolis Indians
- Pivetta, IronPigs beat Bisons - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rivalry Continues as Columbus Clips Toledo - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Grounded by Pivetta, IPigs in 7-2 Defeat - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Offense Too Much for Bulls - Durham Bulls
- VanMeter Ties Franchise Record in 7-5 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Stripers Blast Past Durham, 11-3 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Fall Again in Norfolk, 10-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Falls to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in Series Opener, 9-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Green, Bats Lift RailRiders over .500 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Smeltzer Leads Wings to Win in Triple-A Debut - Rochester Red Wings
- Red Wings Late Burst Leads to Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Hens Home for An Epic Homestand: May 14-19 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (14-12) vs. Louisville Bats (11-17) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Interstate 81 Series Unveiled - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- They're Back: ZOOperstars at Fifth Third Field - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (11-17) at Indianapolis Indians (14-12) - Louisville Bats
- BB&T Ballpark to Host Team USA vs. Cuba Baseball Game on July 3rd - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- RailRiders Statement on Yankees New Minor League Affiliation Structure
- SWB RailRiders Media Advisory- Emergency Food Drive-Thru Giveaway on May 27 at PNC Field
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre participating in MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- RailRiders Join the Show with IL Clubs
- READing RailRoad Returns