Smeltzer Leads Wings to Win in Triple-A Debut
The Red Wings used a fantastic Triple-A debut from Devin Smeltzer and a six-run ninth inning outburst to take the opener of a three-game series against the Pawtucket Red Sox Friday night at McCoy Stadium.
Smeltzer - who was 3-1 with a 0.60 ERA in five starts at Double-A - came as advertised for the Red Wings. The southpaw went seven innings allowing one unearned run on three hits. He walked none and struck out three over his 96-pitch outing.
After the Wings (11-16) grabbed the 1-0 lead thanks to an unearned run in the second, the Paw Sox would tie it in the bottom half of the inning on an unearned run of their own. Without one out, shortstop Ronald Torreyes committed a throwing error allowing Sam Travis to reach. Bryce Brentz would follow with a double down the left field line to score Travis and tie the game.
After that Brentz double, Smeltzer set down the next 14 Paw Sox hitters in a row.
Unfortunately for Smeltzer, he was matched by Pawtucket starter Mike Shawaryn and the game remain tied until the ninth inning.
In the ninth, a leadoff walk to Randy Cesar and one-out double by Wilin Rosario set the table for a huge final frame. Zander Wiel, Drew Maggi, Nick Gordon and Cesar would all notch RBI hits in the inning.
Wiel finished with a three hit night, while Luke Raley and Cesar each picked up two hits.
The Red Wings and Paw Sox weekend set continues Saturday evening with a 6:15 first pitch. Lewis Thorpe will make the start for Rochester.
WINGS THINGS: The Wings have now won 13 of their last 17 games at McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket...Smeltzer was acquired along with Luke Raley from the Dodgers in exchange for Brian Dozier at the trade deadline last season.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 3, 2019
- Kramer Keeps Tribe in Victory Lane with Five-RBI Night - Indianapolis Indians
- Pivetta, IronPigs beat Bisons - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rivalry Continues as Columbus Clips Toledo - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Grounded by Pivetta, IPigs in 7-2 Defeat - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Offense Too Much for Bulls - Durham Bulls
- VanMeter Ties Franchise Record in 7-5 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Stripers Blast Past Durham, 11-3 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Fall Again in Norfolk, 10-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Falls to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in Series Opener, 9-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Green, Bats Lift RailRiders over .500 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Smeltzer Leads Wings to Win in Triple-A Debut - Rochester Red Wings
- Red Wings Late Burst Leads to Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Hens Home for An Epic Homestand: May 14-19 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (14-12) vs. Louisville Bats (11-17) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Interstate 81 Series Unveiled - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- They're Back: ZOOperstars at Fifth Third Field - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (11-17) at Indianapolis Indians (14-12) - Louisville Bats
- BB&T Ballpark to Host Team USA vs. Cuba Baseball Game on July 3rd - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.