Red Wings Late Burst Leads to Win
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - Thanks to some late offense, the Rochester Red Wings (11-16) took game one of this three-game set with the Pawtucket Red Sox (11-16) by a final of 7-1.
The Red Wings opened the scoring in the second inning. Luke Raley grounded a single up the middle with one out, then Zander Wiel singled to put runners at first and second. John Andreoli grounded into a fielder's choice to put runners at the corners. With Ronald Torreyes batting, PawSox starter Mike Shawaryn attempted a pick-off at first base and threw the ball away, which allowed Raley to score from third.
In the bottom of the second, Bryce Brentz pulled a double down the third-base line that brought Sam Travis home all the way from first.
The game remained tied until the ninth inning. The Red Wings loaded the bases against Bobby Poyner, and Wiel broke the tie with an RBI single to left. Rochester added five more runs in the frame.
In his sixth start of the season, Shawaryn turned in the longest outing by a PawSox starter this season. He went a career-high 8 innings giving up just 5 hits and 1 run that was unearned. Shawaryn has now tossed at least 5 innings in all six of his starts so far this season.
The PawSox continue their three-game series with the Rochester Red Wings tomorrow night at 6:15 p.m. Pawtucket right-hander Chandler Shepherd (0-4, 8.53 ERA) is scheduled to oppose Red Wings lefty Lewis Thorpe (2-2, 6.91 ERA). Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 5:45 p.m.
The homestand wraps up on Sunday afternoon at 1:05 p.m. Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 3, 2019
- Kramer Keeps Tribe in Victory Lane with Five-RBI Night - Indianapolis Indians
- Pivetta, IronPigs beat Bisons - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rivalry Continues as Columbus Clips Toledo - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Grounded by Pivetta, IPigs in 7-2 Defeat - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Offense Too Much for Bulls - Durham Bulls
- VanMeter Ties Franchise Record in 7-5 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Stripers Blast Past Durham, 11-3 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Fall Again in Norfolk, 10-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Falls to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in Series Opener, 9-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Green, Bats Lift RailRiders over .500 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Smeltzer Leads Wings to Win in Triple-A Debut - Rochester Red Wings
- Red Wings Late Burst Leads to Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Hens Home for An Epic Homestand: May 14-19 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (14-12) vs. Louisville Bats (11-17) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Interstate 81 Series Unveiled - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- They're Back: ZOOperstars at Fifth Third Field - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (11-17) at Indianapolis Indians (14-12) - Louisville Bats
- BB&T Ballpark to Host Team USA vs. Cuba Baseball Game on July 3rd - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.