Bears Battle Past Bruins
HERSHEY, Pa. - Riley Barber netted a goal and an assist, Nathan Walker registered thegame-winning goal and Dan Ellis posted 24 saves as the Hershey Bears defeatedthe Providence Bruins 3-2 on Saturday night in front of a crowd of 10,626 atGIANT Center.
Sean Collins got the Bears onthe board first, accepting a long pass from Connor Carrick at the offensiveblue line on the backhand. Heskated to the left circle and let a low shot go that squirted through the padsof goaltender Jeremy Smith at 12:22.
In the middle period, withBrett Bellemore serving a delay of game penalty, the Bears cashed in for a 2-0lead. Barber trailed the play on an offensive zone entry, collected a drop passfrom Scott Gomez and ripped the puck past Smith at 3:19.
Connor Carrick set the tone ofthe game with a big, clean hit on forward Noel Acciari in front of theProvidence bench later in the period, and the Bears earned a power play whenTommy Cross instigated a fight with Carrick. The Bears could not capitalize on the man advantage, and thescore held 2-0 at the second intermission.
That was enough to jump-startthe Bruins in the third. Just 27seconds in, Austin Czarnik reached out to deflect a long slapper from ColinMiller inside the left post behind Ellis, and Providence cut the deficit to2-1.
But Walker's critical insurancegoal came at 4:55, as he trailed a line rush, took a feed from Barber andripped a low shot past Smith for his 11th of the season.
The Bruins made a late push,pulling Smith for a sixth attacker. With 56 seconds left in the period, Brandon DeFazio set up the slot anddeflected a shot from Czarnik down and into the net, cutting the Bears' lead to3-2.
Hershey hung on from there forthe win, and improved to 29-14-3-7 on the season and 18-5-1-5 at home.
The Bears and Bruins will playagain tomorrow, February 21 at 5:00 PM. It's another Dietz and Watson Dollar Dog Night, and all fans maypurchase hot dogs at select concession stands for just $1. Individual tickets are available at theGIANT Center box office, by calling (717) 508-BEAR or online atTicketMaster.com.
NOTES: Riley Barber extended his point streakto eight games (9-8-17)...Chris Bourque extended his point streak to eight gamesas well (2-12-14) and retained the AHL scoring lead (22-35-57)...Scott Gomezextended his point streak to five games (1-7-8)...The Bears improved to 21-0-0-0when allowing two or fewer goals...Defenseman Tyler Lewington was reassigned tothe South Carolina Stingrays earlier in the day...The Bears scratched RW Chris Brown,LW Paul Carey, D Mike Moore and RW Dustin Gazley... The Bruins scratched LWAnthony Camara, RW Brian Ferlin, D Matt Irwin, D Frankie Simonelli, G MalcolmSubban and D Ben Youds.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2016
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Milwaukee - February 20 - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Topped by Americans, 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Callahan's Two Goals Pace Griffins' 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Fall Late to IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers win in shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals Caught in Moose Trap - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Dropped in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Ferocious Comeback Nets Phantoms Critical Standings Point at PPL - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rampage Rally for 3-2 Shootout Win over Monsters - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Nudge Past Monsters 3-2 in Shootout - Cleveland Monsters
- Schaller, Ullmark Lead Amerks Past Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Pack Peppers Springfield 7-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Albany Devils Fight Back Again for OT Victory - Albany Devils
- Falcons Stumble in Loss to Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Sweep IceCaps - Binghamton Senators
- Checkers Lose Early Lead in Grand Rapids - Charlotte Checkers
- Providence Bruins Fall to Hershey Bears in Part One of Double Header - Providence Bruins
- Senators Sweep IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Bruins - Hershey Bears
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Reign Open Road Trip Tonight against Gulls; Multiple Roster Moves Made - Ontario Reign
- Heat Host San Jose Looking to Continue Their Home Winning Streak - Stockton Heat
- Gelinas Recalled from Quad City - Iowa Wild
- Heat Sign Two to PTO's Prior to Tonight's Game - Stockton Heat
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Open Five-Game Road Trip Tonight against Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Condors Game Preview: Cereal Bowl Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Defenseman Zach Leslie and Forward Scott Sabourin Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Forward Michael Mersch Joins Kings - Ontario Reign
- Paul Carey to Miss Remainder of Season - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Recall Daniel Altshuller from Florida - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Rockford - February 19 - Manitoba Moose
- Reign Add to Franchise Record with 11th Sellout of the Season - Ontario Reign
- Third Period Flurry Falls Short as Hogs Fall to Moose 3-2 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Edge the Condors, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Gulls Hold off Condors, 3-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Stars' Win Streak Comes in to an End in 4-1 Loss to Reign - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Bears and Capitals Extend Affiliation Agreement
- AHL Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Kale Kessy Named Hershey's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Hershey Bears Statement Regarding the Suspension of the AHL Season
- Bears Weekly: Hershey Gains Momentum for Big Road Weekend