Bears Battle Past Bruins
HERSHEY, Pa. - Riley Barber netted a goal and an assist, Nathan Walker registered thegame-winning goal and Dan Ellis posted 24 saves as the Hershey Bears defeatedthe Providence Bruins 3-2 on Saturday night in front of a crowd of 10,626 atGIANT Center.
Sean Collins got the Bears onthe board first, accepting a long pass from Connor Carrick at the offensiveblue line on the backhand. Heskated to the left circle and let a low shot go that squirted through the padsof goaltender Jeremy Smith at 12:22.
In the middle period, withBrett Bellemore serving a delay of game penalty, the Bears cashed in for a 2-0lead. Barber trailed the play on an offensive zone entry, collected a drop passfrom Scott Gomez and ripped the puck past Smith at 3:19.
Connor Carrick set the tone ofthe game with a big, clean hit on forward Noel Acciari in front of theProvidence bench later in the period, and the Bears earned a power play whenTommy Cross instigated a fight with Carrick. The Bears could not capitalize on the man advantage, and thescore held 2-0 at the second intermission.
That was enough to jump-startthe Bruins in the third. Just 27seconds in, Austin Czarnik reached out to deflect a long slapper from ColinMiller inside the left post behind Ellis, and Providence cut the deficit to2-1.
But Walker's critical insurancegoal came at 4:55, as he trailed a line rush, took a feed from Barber andripped a low shot past Smith for his 11th of the season.
The Bruins made a late push,pulling Smith for a sixth attacker. With 56 seconds left in the period, Brandon DeFazio set up the slot anddeflected a shot from Czarnik down and into the net, cutting the Bears' lead to3-2.
Hershey hung on from there forthe win, and improved to 29-14-3-7 on the season and 18-5-1-5 at home.
The Bears and Bruins will playagain tomorrow, February 21 at 5:00 PM. It's another Dietz and Watson Dollar Dog Night, and all fans maypurchase hot dogs at select concession stands for just $1. Individual tickets are available at theGIANT Center box office, by calling (717) 508-BEAR or online atTicketMaster.com.
NOTES: Riley Barber extended his point streakto eight games (9-8-17)...Chris Bourque extended his point streak to eight gamesas well (2-12-14) and retained the AHL scoring lead (22-35-57)...Scott Gomezextended his point streak to five games (1-7-8)...The Bears improved to 21-0-0-0when allowing two or fewer goals...Defenseman Tyler Lewington was reassigned tothe South Carolina Stingrays earlier in the day...The Bears scratched RW Chris Brown,LW Paul Carey, D Mike Moore and RW Dustin Gazley... The Bruins scratched LWAnthony Camara, RW Brian Ferlin, D Matt Irwin, D Frankie Simonelli, G MalcolmSubban and D Ben Youds.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2016
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Milwaukee - February 20 - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Topped by Americans, 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Callahan's Two Goals Pace Griffins' 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Fall Late to IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers win in shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals Caught in Moose Trap - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Dropped in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Ferocious Comeback Nets Phantoms Critical Standings Point at PPL - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rampage Rally for 3-2 Shootout Win over Monsters - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Nudge Past Monsters 3-2 in Shootout - Cleveland Monsters
- Schaller, Ullmark Lead Amerks Past Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Pack Peppers Springfield 7-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Albany Devils Fight Back Again for OT Victory - Albany Devils
- Falcons Stumble in Loss to Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Sweep IceCaps - Binghamton Senators
- Checkers Lose Early Lead in Grand Rapids - Charlotte Checkers
- Providence Bruins Fall to Hershey Bears in Part One of Double Header - Providence Bruins
- Senators Sweep IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Bruins - Hershey Bears
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Reign Open Road Trip Tonight against Gulls; Multiple Roster Moves Made - Ontario Reign
- Heat Host San Jose Looking to Continue Their Home Winning Streak - Stockton Heat
- Gelinas Recalled from Quad City - Iowa Wild
- Heat Sign Two to PTO's Prior to Tonight's Game - Stockton Heat
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Open Five-Game Road Trip Tonight against Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Condors Game Preview: Cereal Bowl Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Defenseman Zach Leslie and Forward Scott Sabourin Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Forward Michael Mersch Joins Kings - Ontario Reign
- Paul Carey to Miss Remainder of Season - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Recall Daniel Altshuller from Florida - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Rockford - February 19 - Manitoba Moose
- Reign Add to Franchise Record with 11th Sellout of the Season - Ontario Reign
- Third Period Flurry Falls Short as Hogs Fall to Moose 3-2 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Edge the Condors, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Gulls Hold off Condors, 3-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Stars' Win Streak Comes in to an End in 4-1 Loss to Reign - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.