Callahan's Two Goals Pace Griffins' 5-2 Win
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Grand Rapids Griffins spotted the Charlotte Checkers a 2-0 lead on Saturday before roaring back to take a 5-2 win at Van Andel Arena.
Mitch Callahan began the Griffins' rally and finished with two goals on the night, spearheading an offense that assaulted Charlotte netminder Anthony Peters with a season-high 49 shots, while Tom McCollum made 30 saves for Grand Rapids to earn his second win in his last three starts.
The Griffins (29-20-1-1) will head to Chicago for a noon start on Tuesday against the Wolves before returning to Van Andel Arena on Friday to kick off a rare gauntlet of three home games in three nights.
Charlotte struck first with a power play goal at 6:09 of the opening period. Former Michigan Wolverine T.J. Hensick circled around half of the Griffins' zone before launching a wrister from the right circle that McCollum denied, but Ethan Werek was waiting on the doorstep to pop the rebound home for his fifth goal in just four games against Grand Rapids this season.
The visitors doubled their advantage during another power play 2:25 into the second, when Justin Shugg connected on an innocent-looking wrist shot from the top of the left circle.
Later in the period, the Griffins tallied twice in less than three minutes to knot the score. After a faceoff win in the Charlotte zone, Callahan took position between the circles to redirect Brian Lashoff's slap shot from the left point behind Peters, putting Grand Rapids on the board at the 8:54 mark.
Soon after, Anthony Mantha made a nice move at the blue line to create space for himself then darted to the top of the circles before snapping a shot past Peters' blocker at 11:19.
Andy Miele gave the Griffins the lead with their third unanswered goal of the period at 18:10, scoring on a rebound from the bottom of the left circle, before McCollum preserved the cushion by stoning a penalty shot attempt by Brendan Woods with 42 seconds left before intermission.
Callahan made it a 4-2 game at the 5:05 mark of the third period, finishing off a flurry around the Charlotte net that was sparked by Mark Zengerle forcing a turnover, and Tyler Bertuzzi added the night cap from close range off a Martin Frk pass with 2:46 remaining.
Peters, who made a surprise debut for Charlotte (26-21-3-2) following an injury last night to starter Drew MacIntyre, finished with 44 saves in his eighth career AHL game.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2016
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Milwaukee - February 20 - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Topped by Americans, 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Callahan's Two Goals Pace Griffins' 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Fall Late to IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers win in shootout - Bridgeport Islanders
- Admirals Caught in Moose Trap - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Dropped in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Ferocious Comeback Nets Phantoms Critical Standings Point at PPL - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rampage Rally for 3-2 Shootout Win over Monsters - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Nudge Past Monsters 3-2 in Shootout - Cleveland Monsters
- Schaller, Ullmark Lead Amerks Past Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Pack Peppers Springfield 7-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Albany Devils Fight Back Again for OT Victory - Albany Devils
- Falcons Stumble in Loss to Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Sweep IceCaps - Binghamton Senators
- Checkers Lose Early Lead in Grand Rapids - Charlotte Checkers
- Providence Bruins Fall to Hershey Bears in Part One of Double Header - Providence Bruins
- Senators Sweep IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Bruins - Hershey Bears
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Reign Open Road Trip Tonight against Gulls; Multiple Roster Moves Made - Ontario Reign
- Heat Host San Jose Looking to Continue Their Home Winning Streak - Stockton Heat
- Gelinas Recalled from Quad City - Iowa Wild
- Heat Sign Two to PTO's Prior to Tonight's Game - Stockton Heat
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Open Five-Game Road Trip Tonight against Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Condors Game Preview: Cereal Bowl Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Defenseman Zach Leslie and Forward Scott Sabourin Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Forward Michael Mersch Joins Kings - Ontario Reign
- Paul Carey to Miss Remainder of Season - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Recall Daniel Altshuller from Florida - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Rockford - February 19 - Manitoba Moose
- Reign Add to Franchise Record with 11th Sellout of the Season - Ontario Reign
- Third Period Flurry Falls Short as Hogs Fall to Moose 3-2 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Edge the Condors, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Gulls Hold off Condors, 3-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Stars' Win Streak Comes in to an End in 4-1 Loss to Reign - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Griffins Sign Left Wing Dennis Yan
- Griffins to Retire Jersey Numbers of Michel Picard and Jeff Hoggan
- Griffins Unveil 2021-22 Promotional Schedule
- DeMartino Named Griffins Video Coach
- Red Wings Assistant General Manager Pat Verbeek Named General Manager of Grand Rapids Griffins