Comets Dropped in Overtime
UTICA, N.Y. - The Utica Comets jumped out to a quick start Saturday night, leading 2-0 after the first period, but couldn't keep up the tempo, and ultimately fell 3-2 to the Albany Devils in overtime at the Utica Memorial Auditorium.
Ronalds Kenins (0-2-2) recorded his fourth multi point game in the team's last five games with two assists. Brendan Gaunce (1-0-1) and Andrey Pedan (1-0-1) each scored for the Comets while Joe Cannata made 31 saves for the Comets.
The Comets potted the first goal of the game 6:51 into the first period. Kenins ripped a shot on net, and Yann Danis knocked it away, but Pedan came up with the rebound, brought the puck to the front of the net and backhanded it into the net.
Utica extended their lead to 2-0 with 2:38 remaining in the first. Hunter Shinkaruk passed it to Gaunce standing in the crease. Gaunce spun around and flicked the puck past Danis for his 15th goal of the season.
The Devils cut into the Comets lead and got on the board for the first 3:08 into the second. Jim O'Brien fired a shot from just inside the blue line, and Dan Kelly got a piece of it to redirect it past Cannata to make it 2-1.
Albany would tie it five minutes later when Mike Sislo jammed a rebound past Cannata for his league-leading 24th goal of the season.
With no goals from either side in the third, the game went to overtime. Matt Lorito ended it with 1:54 left in overtime. Lorito broke away with the puck and put a wrist shot past Cannata to give the Devils a 3-2 win.
Utica finished with 23 shot on goal, while Albany had 34 shots on the night. Danis made 21 saves for the Devils.
With the loss, the Comets drop to 25-18-5-3. The Devils improve to 30-13-7-0 with the win.
The Comets will stay at home for their next game, as they will take on the St. Johns IceCaps at the Utica Memorial Auditorium, Friday night. The two teams have split the first four games against each other this season, each winning two games. Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2016
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Milwaukee - February 20 - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Topped by Americans, 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Callahan's Two Goals Pace Griffins' 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Fall Late to IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers win in shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals Caught in Moose Trap - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Dropped in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Ferocious Comeback Nets Phantoms Critical Standings Point at PPL - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rampage Rally for 3-2 Shootout Win over Monsters - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Nudge Past Monsters 3-2 in Shootout - Cleveland Monsters
- Schaller, Ullmark Lead Amerks Past Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Pack Peppers Springfield 7-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Albany Devils Fight Back Again for OT Victory - Albany Devils
- Falcons Stumble in Loss to Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Sweep IceCaps - Binghamton Senators
- Checkers Lose Early Lead in Grand Rapids - Charlotte Checkers
- Providence Bruins Fall to Hershey Bears in Part One of Double Header - Providence Bruins
- Senators Sweep IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Bruins - Hershey Bears
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Reign Open Road Trip Tonight against Gulls; Multiple Roster Moves Made - Ontario Reign
- Heat Host San Jose Looking to Continue Their Home Winning Streak - Stockton Heat
- Gelinas Recalled from Quad City - Iowa Wild
- Heat Sign Two to PTO's Prior to Tonight's Game - Stockton Heat
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Open Five-Game Road Trip Tonight against Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Condors Game Preview: Cereal Bowl Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Defenseman Zach Leslie and Forward Scott Sabourin Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Forward Michael Mersch Joins Kings - Ontario Reign
- Paul Carey to Miss Remainder of Season - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Recall Daniel Altshuller from Florida - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Rockford - February 19 - Manitoba Moose
- Reign Add to Franchise Record with 11th Sellout of the Season - Ontario Reign
- Third Period Flurry Falls Short as Hogs Fall to Moose 3-2 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Edge the Condors, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Gulls Hold off Condors, 3-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Stars' Win Streak Comes in to an End in 4-1 Loss to Reign - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.