Third Period Flurry Falls Short as Hogs Fall to Moose 3-2
Rockford, Ill. - The Manitoba Moose held on to a third period lead despite a 21-shot barrage from the Rockford IceHogs in the final stanza and handed the home team a 3-2 loss at the BMO Harris Bank Center Friday night.
The Moose opened the scoring at 8:55 after Chris DeSousa was unable to bury a shorthanded opportunity for the IceHogs. John Albert fed an outlet pass to Scott Kosmachuk, who roofed his shot over the glove hand of Mac Carruth.
Manitoba doubled their lead early in the middle frame. Nic Petan took advantage of a Rockford turnover and outwaited a sliding Rob Scuderi before tucking a feed across to Thomas Raffl, who buried his third of the season.
The IceHogs weathered a storm midway through the second, killing off an extended five-on-three power play after Kirill Gotovets, Mark McNeill, and Scuderi were sent off in quick succession.
Rockford sought to draw within a goal late in the stanza after a hooking penalty to Petan, but Eric Comrie turned aside a flurry of shots to maintain the two-goal gap.
Carruth preserved the IceHogs chances just over a minute into the final frame. Kosmachuk got in alone on the Rockford goaltender, but Carruth stoned him to keep his team in the game.
The home squad upped the ante as the period wore on as Nolan Valleau nearly buried a wraparound chance past Comrie six minutes in. Jake Dowell tipped a shot on goal a minute and a half later, but the bouncing puck caught the arm of Comrie before skittering just wide of the far post.
DeSousa finally got the IceHogs on the board with 7:58 to go in the contest, ripping a wrister short side over the shoulder of Comrie following an end-to-end rush.
Manitoba picked up a key insurance tally with 2:39 to go after the IceHogs pulled Carruth in favor of an extra attacker. JC Lipon notched his 11th goal of the season by flipping the puck the length of the ice into the empty net.
Rockford rallied in the final minute on the power play, as Dowell banked a centering pass off the skate of McNeill to the waiting stick of Cameron Schilling. Schilling slammed home his fourth goal of the season into the open net with 22 seconds to play, but the IceHogs couldn't muster another late tally before the final horn sounded.
Manitoba went one-for-six on the man advantage, while Rockford got a single power-play goal in seven opportunities.
Comrie turned aside 37 shots in the victory, including 21 third period Rockford shots, while Carruth stopped 22 Manitoba shots.
Next Home Game: Tickets for Saturday, March 5 vs. Lake Erie Monsters at 7 p.m are SOLD OUT. Tickets still remain for the game on Mar. 6 versus the Monsters at 4 p.m. After the game, the team will host a "Skate with the Hogs" event where fans will be welcome to skate on the ice with their favorite IceHogs players.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2016
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Milwaukee - February 20 - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Topped by Americans, 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Callahan's Two Goals Pace Griffins' 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Fall Late to IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers win in shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals Caught in Moose Trap - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Dropped in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Ferocious Comeback Nets Phantoms Critical Standings Point at PPL - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rampage Rally for 3-2 Shootout Win over Monsters - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Nudge Past Monsters 3-2 in Shootout - Cleveland Monsters
- Schaller, Ullmark Lead Amerks Past Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Pack Peppers Springfield 7-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Albany Devils Fight Back Again for OT Victory - Albany Devils
- Falcons Stumble in Loss to Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Sweep IceCaps - Binghamton Senators
- Checkers Lose Early Lead in Grand Rapids - Charlotte Checkers
- Providence Bruins Fall to Hershey Bears in Part One of Double Header - Providence Bruins
- Senators Sweep IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Bruins - Hershey Bears
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Reign Open Road Trip Tonight against Gulls; Multiple Roster Moves Made - Ontario Reign
- Heat Host San Jose Looking to Continue Their Home Winning Streak - Stockton Heat
- Gelinas Recalled from Quad City - Iowa Wild
- Heat Sign Two to PTO's Prior to Tonight's Game - Stockton Heat
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Open Five-Game Road Trip Tonight against Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Condors Game Preview: Cereal Bowl Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Defenseman Zach Leslie and Forward Scott Sabourin Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Forward Michael Mersch Joins Kings - Ontario Reign
- Paul Carey to Miss Remainder of Season - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Recall Daniel Altshuller from Florida - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Rockford - February 19 - Manitoba Moose
- Reign Add to Franchise Record with 11th Sellout of the Season - Ontario Reign
- Third Period Flurry Falls Short as Hogs Fall to Moose 3-2 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Edge the Condors, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Gulls Hold off Condors, 3-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Stars' Win Streak Comes in to an End in 4-1 Loss to Reign - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Quenneville and Tomkins Among Four Players Assigned to IceHogs from Blackhawks
- IceHogs Receive 10 Players from the Chicago Blackhawks Ahead of 2020-21 Season
- 2020 Blackhawks Draft Pick & OHL Premier Goal Scorer Chad Yetman Joins IceHogs
- 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 AHL Season Including IceHogs
- Chicago Blackhawks Training Camp Roster Packed with IceHogs