Falcons Stumble in Loss to Wolf Pack
Springfield, MA - The Springfield Falcons fell behind early and couldn't complete the comeback as they dropped a 7-2 decision to the Hartford Wolf Pack at the MassMutual Center on Saturday night.
The Falcons had a new face in the lineup as Josh Robinson made his debut with the team in net. Robinson started off by making a few big saves, first by making two stops on a scramble in front of the net and then stopping Travis Oleksuk, who rifled a shot from the left circle moments later. Hartford would strike first as Oleksuk jammed a rebound past Robinson during a mad scramble in front of the net. The goal, Oleksuk's sixth of the season, was scored at 16:15 and on the power play. The goal was assisted by Mat Bodie and Raphael Diaz.
Hartford extended their lead to 2-0 early in the second period thanks to another power play marker. This time, Adam Tambellini found Diaz at the point and he blasted a shot past Robinson for his third goal of the season. The marker, scored at 3:58, also saw Marek Hrivik pick up an assist. Diaz wasted no time scoring his fourth goal of the season as he fired another point-shot past Robinson to extend the Hartford lead to 3-0. Diaz's second goal, scored at 5:22, was assisted by Chris McCarthy and Luke Adam. The Falcons finally broke through as their power play got them on the board. Craig Cunningham fed Greg Carey at the side of the net who tapped in his 22nd goal of the season. The goal, scored at 15:34, was also assisted on by Philip Samuelsson.
Springfield cut the lead to 3-2 just moments into the third period as Cunningham rifled his 13th goal of the campaign past Magnus Hellberg. Carey and Dustin Jeffrey would pick up assists on the power play tally scored at 1:14 of the third period. Hartford regained their two-goal lead late in the period thanks to Nicklas Jensen's eleventh goal of the year. Jensen, off a feed from Hrivik, roofed a shot past Robinson at the 13 minute mark. The Wolf Pack would pull away in the final minutes of the game as McCarthy scored his fifth of the season by depositing a rebound past Robinson. Nick Tarnasky and Adam would pick up the assists on the goal scored at 14:44 to give Hartford a 5-2 lead. Jensen sealed the game with an empty net goal that was assisted by Oleksuk at the 18:42 mark. Tarnasky would finish the scoring at 19:59 as he snapped his 12th of the year past Robinson. Robinson made 29 saves in the losing effort, which saw his record fall to 0-1-0 on the year. Hellberg, meanwhile, made 19 saves and improved his season record to 20-13-2.
The Falcons conclude their three game weekend tomorrow evening when they host the Lehigh Valley Phantoms at 5:00 p.m. at the MassMutual Center. The Falcons will host the Albany Devils next Friday night at 7:00 p.m. to open another three-game weekend.
Springfield Falcons ticket packages are on sale now. To reserve your seats, call 413-739-GOAL (4625) or visit the team office inside the MassMutual Center Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For all the latest Falcons information and updates, follow the Birds at www.falconsahl.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/falconsahl and on Twitter (@TheFalconsAHL) using #YourTownYourTeam.?
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2016
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Milwaukee - February 20 - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Topped by Americans, 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Callahan's Two Goals Pace Griffins' 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Fall Late to IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers win in shootout - Bridgeport Islanders
- Admirals Caught in Moose Trap - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Dropped in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Ferocious Comeback Nets Phantoms Critical Standings Point at PPL - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rampage Rally for 3-2 Shootout Win over Monsters - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Nudge Past Monsters 3-2 in Shootout - Cleveland Monsters
- Schaller, Ullmark Lead Amerks Past Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Pack Peppers Springfield 7-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Albany Devils Fight Back Again for OT Victory - Albany Devils
- Falcons Stumble in Loss to Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Sweep IceCaps - Binghamton Senators
- Checkers Lose Early Lead in Grand Rapids - Charlotte Checkers
- Providence Bruins Fall to Hershey Bears in Part One of Double Header - Providence Bruins
- Senators Sweep IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Bruins - Hershey Bears
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Reign Open Road Trip Tonight against Gulls; Multiple Roster Moves Made - Ontario Reign
- Heat Host San Jose Looking to Continue Their Home Winning Streak - Stockton Heat
- Gelinas Recalled from Quad City - Iowa Wild
- Heat Sign Two to PTO's Prior to Tonight's Game - Stockton Heat
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Open Five-Game Road Trip Tonight against Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Condors Game Preview: Cereal Bowl Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Defenseman Zach Leslie and Forward Scott Sabourin Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Forward Michael Mersch Joins Kings - Ontario Reign
- Paul Carey to Miss Remainder of Season - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Recall Daniel Altshuller from Florida - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Rockford - February 19 - Manitoba Moose
- Reign Add to Franchise Record with 11th Sellout of the Season - Ontario Reign
- Third Period Flurry Falls Short as Hogs Fall to Moose 3-2 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Edge the Condors, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Gulls Hold off Condors, 3-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Stars' Win Streak Comes in to an End in 4-1 Loss to Reign - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.