Albany Devils Fight Back Again for OT Victory
UTICA, NY - For the second straight game, the Albany Devils erased a two-goal deficit and prevailed in overtime. Matt Lorito was the hero, scoring at 3:06 of the extra frame to give the Devils a 3-2 victory against the Utica Comets Saturday at the Utica Memorial Auditorium.
Albany, which defeated Bridgeport in similar fashion last Sunday, extended its winning streak to four games and improved to 30-13-7-0. Utica moved to 25-18-5-3.
The Comets, who have never beaten the Devils in regulation in 12 all-time meetings, jumped out to an early 2-0 advantage. Andrey Padan and Brendan Gaunce had first period tallies at 6:51 and 17:22, respectively.
In the second, Dan Kelly's career-high fourth goal started Albany's comeback at 3:08. Minutes later, Mike Sislo netted his career-high 24th tally at 8:15. The play extended Sislo's goal streak to six games (7g-2a), which is the longest active streak in the AHL. It is also tied for the longest overall streak in the league.
After a scoreless third and after the team's exchanged chances in overtime, Lorito found himself with the puck at center ice. He slowed up to evaluate the situation and then found another speed, splitting the Utica defense. Alone with Comets' netminder Joe Cannata, the Devils' rookie elevated the puck for his first career OT winner.
Yann Danis extended his winning streak to five games thanks to 21 saves. During his most recent run, he has posted a 1.36 goals-against average and a .940 save percentage. Additionally, the veteran goaltender has helped Albany to a point in seven straight appearances.
Cannata made 31 stops.
- The Essentials
Shots: Albany 34, Utica 23
Power Play: Albany 0-6, Utica 1-5
Three Stars: 1. Matt Lorito (ALB), 2. Ronalds Kenins (UTI), 3. Mike Sislo (ALB)
- Next Up
The Devils' road trip continues with a 5 pm contest against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers Sunday at Webster Bank Arena. Fans can follow the action at ahllive.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2016
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Milwaukee - February 20 - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Topped by Americans, 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Callahan's Two Goals Pace Griffins' 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Fall Late to IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers win in shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals Caught in Moose Trap - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Dropped in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Ferocious Comeback Nets Phantoms Critical Standings Point at PPL - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rampage Rally for 3-2 Shootout Win over Monsters - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Nudge Past Monsters 3-2 in Shootout - Cleveland Monsters
- Schaller, Ullmark Lead Amerks Past Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Pack Peppers Springfield 7-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Albany Devils Fight Back Again for OT Victory - Albany Devils
- Falcons Stumble in Loss to Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Sweep IceCaps - Binghamton Senators
- Checkers Lose Early Lead in Grand Rapids - Charlotte Checkers
- Providence Bruins Fall to Hershey Bears in Part One of Double Header - Providence Bruins
- Senators Sweep IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Bruins - Hershey Bears
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Reign Open Road Trip Tonight against Gulls; Multiple Roster Moves Made - Ontario Reign
- Heat Host San Jose Looking to Continue Their Home Winning Streak - Stockton Heat
- Gelinas Recalled from Quad City - Iowa Wild
- Heat Sign Two to PTO's Prior to Tonight's Game - Stockton Heat
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Open Five-Game Road Trip Tonight against Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Condors Game Preview: Cereal Bowl Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Defenseman Zach Leslie and Forward Scott Sabourin Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Forward Michael Mersch Joins Kings - Ontario Reign
- Paul Carey to Miss Remainder of Season - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Recall Daniel Altshuller from Florida - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Rockford - February 19 - Manitoba Moose
- Reign Add to Franchise Record with 11th Sellout of the Season - Ontario Reign
- Third Period Flurry Falls Short as Hogs Fall to Moose 3-2 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Edge the Condors, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Gulls Hold off Condors, 3-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Stars' Win Streak Comes in to an End in 4-1 Loss to Reign - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.