Wolves Fall Late to IceHogs
Chicago Wolves RW Danny Kristo Takes a Penalty Shot vs. the Rockford IceHogs
(Chicago Wolves, Credit: Steve Woltmann/Chicago Wolves)
ROSEMONT, Ill. - Rockford's Tanner Kero was credited with the go-ahead goal with 5:08 to play as the Chicago Wolves fell 4-2 to the IceHogs in an Illinois Lottery Cup clash on Saturday night at Allstate Arena.
Forwards Dmitrij Jaskin and Danny Kristo scored for the Wolves (23-23-3-2). Dennis Robertson, Ryan Haggerty and Dane Walters also scored for Rockford (29-13-5-4), which clinched the Illinois Lottery Cup trophy that goes to the team that wins the Wolves-IceHogs season series.
Rockford opened the scoring 1:09 into the game as Robertson wristed a shot from the left point that deflected off a Wolves player in traffic and eluded goaltender Pheonix Copley's blocker.
The Wolves answered with Jaskin's power-play goal at 5:14 of the first. Goaltender Michael Leighton stopped Jeremy Welsh's wrister from the left circle, but Emerson Clark corralled the rebound along the goal line and fed it to Jaskin for a well-placed wrister from the right circle.
Rockford took a 2-1 lead on Haggerty's goal 14:57 into the first. He battled for position just outside the crease, intercepted teammate Jonathan Carlsson's shot from the right circle and flicked it home.
Chicago responded with Kristo's power-play goal at 7:41 of the second. Defenseman Jordan Schmaltz hustled the puck up the ice and fed Kristo in the high slot for a snapper that became his team-high 18th goal.
Rockford seized a 3-2 edge with 5:08 to play when Kirill Gotovets' shot from along the right half-wall headed toward Kero and Chicago defenseman Jeremie Blain as they battled for position just outside the crease. The puck hit their upper bodies, fell to the ice and bounced under Copley's left leg for the goal.
Walters added an empty-net goal from center ice with 28.2 seconds left to clinch the game. Copley (11-12-2) stopped 36 of 39 shots while Leighton (25-6-7) notched 26 saves.
The Wolves host the Charlotte Checkers at 3 p.m. Sunday for a Central Division clash with playoff implications. To get the best deals on tickets, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2016
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Milwaukee - February 20 - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Topped by Americans, 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Callahan's Two Goals Pace Griffins' 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Fall Late to IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers win in shootout - Bridgeport Islanders
- Admirals Caught in Moose Trap - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Dropped in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Ferocious Comeback Nets Phantoms Critical Standings Point at PPL - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rampage Rally for 3-2 Shootout Win over Monsters - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Nudge Past Monsters 3-2 in Shootout - Cleveland Monsters
- Schaller, Ullmark Lead Amerks Past Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Pack Peppers Springfield 7-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Albany Devils Fight Back Again for OT Victory - Albany Devils
- Falcons Stumble in Loss to Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Sweep IceCaps - Binghamton Senators
- Checkers Lose Early Lead in Grand Rapids - Charlotte Checkers
- Providence Bruins Fall to Hershey Bears in Part One of Double Header - Providence Bruins
- Senators Sweep IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Bruins - Hershey Bears
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Reign Open Road Trip Tonight against Gulls; Multiple Roster Moves Made - Ontario Reign
- Heat Host San Jose Looking to Continue Their Home Winning Streak - Stockton Heat
- Gelinas Recalled from Quad City - Iowa Wild
- Heat Sign Two to PTO's Prior to Tonight's Game - Stockton Heat
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Open Five-Game Road Trip Tonight against Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Condors Game Preview: Cereal Bowl Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Defenseman Zach Leslie and Forward Scott Sabourin Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Forward Michael Mersch Joins Kings - Ontario Reign
- Paul Carey to Miss Remainder of Season - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Recall Daniel Altshuller from Florida - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Rockford - February 19 - Manitoba Moose
- Reign Add to Franchise Record with 11th Sellout of the Season - Ontario Reign
- Third Period Flurry Falls Short as Hogs Fall to Moose 3-2 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Edge the Condors, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Gulls Hold off Condors, 3-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Stars' Win Streak Comes in to an End in 4-1 Loss to Reign - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Wolves Stories
- Wolves' Kacer Shares AHL's Yanick Dupre Award
- AHL Sets Divisional Alignment for 2021-22 Season
- Wolves' Warm Earns Spot on AHL's Central Division All-Star Team
- Wolves' Tomasino Named to AHL All-Rookie Team
- "The First Five" Wolves Games for 2021-22 Go on Sale Tuesday