Rampage Nudge Past Monsters 3-2 in Shootout
CLEVELAND - In front of 13,145 fans at The Q, their largest home crowd of the season, Cleveland's Lake Erie Monsters were defeated in a seven-round shootout on Saturday by the San Antonio Rampage by a final score of 3-2. With the shootout loss, the Monsters are currently 27-17-5-4 overall this season and with a .594 points percentage, remain alone in third place in the AHL's Central Division standings.
In a memorable goaltender duel between Lake Erie's Brad Thiessen and San Antonio's Reto Berra, Saturday's game remained scoreless until 18:15 of the third period when Monsters rookie Oliver Bjorkstrand powered home his 11th goal of the season, an unassisted tally at even-strength. Just 24 seconds later, the Monsters made it 2-0 when John Ramage potted an empty-net, shorthanded goal from inside his own blue line.
Undeterred by the late deficit they faced, San Antonio rallied with a power-play goal from Mikko Rantanen at 19:00 and an even-strength equalizer from Maxim Noreau with just 23 seconds remaining in regulation to force overtime. After a scoreless extra session, Rampage center Colin Smith scored in the top of the first round of a shootout and was equalized by Lake Erie's Sonny Milano in the bottom half of round one. After five shootout rounds elapsed devoid of a score, Noreau scalded a slap-shot past Thiessen in round seven to supply the Rampage with a 3-2 victory.
Thiessen is now 9-3-4 despite a memorable, 34-save performance in regulation, while Berra claimed victory for San Antonio in his first AHL appearance this year, thanks to a 39-save showing in regulation and six shootout stops.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Thursday home clash vs. the Rochester Americans with full coverage, live from The Q, underway at 7:00 pm on ESPN 850 WKNR and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Tickets for every Monsters home game start at just $10 and are on sale now! Full and partial season ticket memberships are also available and provide you with the best seat locations, custom member benefits and the lowest ticket prices. Group outing and birthday bash packages for 10 or more people are also on sale now. All tickets can be purchased by visiting LakeErieMonsters.com, calling (216) 420-0000, visiting The Q Box Office or any Northern Ohio Discount Drug Mart. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lakeeriemonsters, and on Instagram at www.instagram.com/monstershockey.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2016
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Milwaukee - February 20 - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Topped by Americans, 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Callahan's Two Goals Pace Griffins' 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Fall Late to IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers win in shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals Caught in Moose Trap - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Dropped in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Ferocious Comeback Nets Phantoms Critical Standings Point at PPL - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rampage Rally for 3-2 Shootout Win over Monsters - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Nudge Past Monsters 3-2 in Shootout - Cleveland Monsters
- Schaller, Ullmark Lead Amerks Past Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Pack Peppers Springfield 7-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Albany Devils Fight Back Again for OT Victory - Albany Devils
- Falcons Stumble in Loss to Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Sweep IceCaps - Binghamton Senators
- Checkers Lose Early Lead in Grand Rapids - Charlotte Checkers
- Providence Bruins Fall to Hershey Bears in Part One of Double Header - Providence Bruins
- Senators Sweep IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Bruins - Hershey Bears
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Reign Open Road Trip Tonight against Gulls; Multiple Roster Moves Made - Ontario Reign
- Heat Host San Jose Looking to Continue Their Home Winning Streak - Stockton Heat
- Gelinas Recalled from Quad City - Iowa Wild
- Heat Sign Two to PTO's Prior to Tonight's Game - Stockton Heat
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Open Five-Game Road Trip Tonight against Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Condors Game Preview: Cereal Bowl Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Defenseman Zach Leslie and Forward Scott Sabourin Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Forward Michael Mersch Joins Kings - Ontario Reign
- Paul Carey to Miss Remainder of Season - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Recall Daniel Altshuller from Florida - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba at Rockford - February 19 - Manitoba Moose
- Reign Add to Franchise Record with 11th Sellout of the Season - Ontario Reign
- Third Period Flurry Falls Short as Hogs Fall to Moose 3-2 - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Edge the Condors, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Gulls Hold off Condors, 3-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Stars' Win Streak Comes in to an End in 4-1 Loss to Reign - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2019-20 Promotional Schedule
- Monsters Sign Forward Stefan Matteau to One-Year AHL Contract
- Columbus Blue Jackets, Cleveland Monsters Announce Multi-Year Extension of Affiliation Partnership
- Monsters Announce Date and Time Adjustments for the 2019-20 Regular-Season Schedule
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Center Marko Dano to One-Year, Two-Way NHL/AHL Contract for 2019-20 Season