Bears End Regular Season with Loss to SharksApril 15, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Hershey Bears
On his second shift of the game, Almeida headed to the net front after Mike Carman stole a puck on the left half boards. Carman walked the puck toward the goal line, then sent a perfect pass in front that Almeida snapped past Sateri at 2:57 to give the BEARS a 1-0 lead.
Yanni Gourde also scored his first professional goal at 8:12, tying the game. After BEARS goaltender Scott Greenham blocked the point shot of Matt Irwin, the puck hopped over the stick of a HERSHEY forward on its way to the high slot. Gourde caught it, turned and sent a wrist shot through traffic and under the crossbar.
It took just 12 seconds for the BEARS to regain their lead. D.J. King finished a hit in the right corner to gain possession of the puck, then passed it around the net for Garrett Mitchell. Mitchell carried the puck in front but fanned on his shot. With Sateri already down, Carroll jumped on the loose puck and poked it into the net to push the BEARS ahead 2-1.
A penalty to Cameron Schilling carried over into the second period, allowing the Sharks to work an early power play. Just 49 seconds into the frame, Gourde passed to the left point. Irwin took a wrist shot that deflected in off the right post and behind Greenham, tying the game.
A failed BEARS clearing attempt led to the Sharks' go-ahead goal. Gourde collected the puck in the right circle and swept a shot toward the net. John McCarthy and Tim Kennedy were each there, and Kennedy got the stick on the puck first to push it into the net at 13:30.
Neither team would be able to score in a third period featuring nine shots for each.
Sateri improves to 15-20-1 with the win, while Greenham made 32 saves in a losing effort. It was his first setback with the BEARS, and overall his record drops to 0-3-0.
The BEARS finished the night 0-for-1 on the PP and 3-for-4 on the penalty kill.
HERSHEY ends the regular season with a record of 38-26-4-8 (88 points), and will now open the 2012 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals on the road next Friday and Saturday, April 20 and 21, at 7:05 PM against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. The best-of-five series will shift to GIANT Center for Games Three and, if necessary, Game Four on Wednesday and Friday, April 25 and 27 with faceoff both nights at 7:00 PM.
Tickets for Game "AA" (Game Three) are on sale now and may be purchased by calling (717) 508-BEAR or by visiting ticketmaster.com.
American Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2012
- P-Bruins End Pirates Season - Portland Pirates
- Aeros First Round Playoff Schedule Set - Houston Aeros
- Aeros Top Stars for Playoff Spot - Houston Aeros
- Bourque, Conacher Win AHL Scoring Races - AHL
- Barons Take on Houston in Round 1 of Calder Cup Playoffs - Oklahoma City Barons
- Scrivens Wins AHL's Holmes Memorial Award - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Will Face Toronto Marlies in First Round of 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs - Rochester Americans
- Heat to Face Milwaukee in Western Conference Quarter Final - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Announce First Round Playoff Series - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Announce Year-End Awards - Abbotsford Heat
- Monarchs Thank Fans with Playoff Berth - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Battle Abbotsford in Western Conference Quarterfinals - Milwaukee Admirals
- AHL Announces Opening Calder Cup Playoff Schedules - AHL
- Stars Close out Season with a 2-1 Loss in Houston - Texas Stars
- Rampage Announce 2012 Western Conference Quarterfinal Schedule - San Antonio Rampage
- Rivermen Season Ends with Loss to Wolves - Peoria Rivermen
- Heat Close Regular Season with OT Win Over Marlies - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolves Battle San Antonio in Western Conference Quarterfinals - Chicago Wolves
- Playoffs Beckon for Wolves After Jensen's Hat Trick - Chicago Wolves
- Conacher's Hat Trick Bounds Norfolk to 28th Straigt Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Toronto's Ben Scrivens Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - AHL
- Rampage Shutout Barons 1-0 to Clinch Playoff Berth - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals King Checkers, Punch Playoff Ticket - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Close Season Against Desperate Crunch - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Sink Pirates in Finale - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Playoff Hopes Hang in Balance - Charlotte Checkers
- IceCaps Announce First Round Schedule - St. John's IceCaps
- Griffins End Season with Loss in Hamilton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers Beat Penguins 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IceCaps fall to Monarchs - St. John's IceCaps
- Crunch Announce First-Round Playoff Schedule - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears End Regular Season with Loss to Sharks - Hershey Bears
- Heat Defeat Marlies To Finish Season On High Note - Abbotsford Heat
- Bulldogs Team Awards Winners Announced - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Clinch Playoff Berth with 2-1 Win - Syracuse Crunch
- Bulldogs Conquer Griffins 3-2 in Final Game - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Monarchs Head to 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Open Playoff Series Against Manchester Monarchs on Friday - Norfolk Admirals
- Sharks Finale Very Gourde in 3-2 Win - Worcester Sharks
- Penguins Defeated by Sound Tigers in Finale - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- 2011-12 Final Springfield Falcons Notes - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Present 2011-12 Player Awards - Binghamton Senators
- Aeros Game Day, April 15: Aeros Vs. Stars - Houston Aeros
- Bears Sign Forward Barry Almeida to Tryout Agreement - Hershey Bears
- Gameday Preview - Texas at Houston - Texas Stars
- Jake Allen Recalled by Blues - Peoria Rivermen
- Heat Vs Marlies Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.