Rainiers Blast Past PortlandJuly 1, 2010 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Tacoma Rainiers
With the game tied at 1-1, outfielder Greg Halman put the Rainiers on top for good after belting a solo home run, his 15th of the season, in the bottom of the seventh.
Prior to Halman's long ball, the Rainiers relied on some timely walks to muster just one run over the game's first six innings. Mike Wilson drew a walk with the bases loaded in the bottom of the second to drive in Brad Nelson from third and put Tacoma on the board early.
Mistakes cost the Rainiers in the top of the fifth inning after right-hander Curtis Stansberry scored on a fielding error from Tacoma third baseman Matt Tuiasosopo, tying the game the game at one run apiece.
Left-hander Chris Seddon picked up his ninth win of the season after tossing 4.1 scoreless innings of relief work. He ended the night allowing just one hit with one walk and three strikeouts.
The loss went to Portland starter Cesar Carillo, his seventh of the season, after the right-hander gave up both Rainiers runs on four hits over seven innings with four walks and seven strikeouts.
Tacoma starter Erik Bedard was the main feature early in the outing, with the left-hander making his third Major League Baseball rehab start of the season and first ever with Tacoma on Thursday. He ended his 2009 campaign early after undergoing surgery on his left shoulder on August 14.
Bedard went 4.1 innings against the Beavers, allowing one run, unearned, on three hits while walking three and fanning three in the no decision.
The Rainiers host Portland at Cheney Stadium again on Friday with first pitch scheduled for 7:00 p.m. Left-hander Ryan Feierabend will get the nod for Tacoma in the outing, with right-hander Josh Geer getting the start for the Beavers. Friday Night Fireworks will begin following the conclusion of the game.
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 1, 2010
- Rainiers Blast Past Portland - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sky Sox Sting Bees with Five Run Ninth, 8-7 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Tacoma's Bedard, Seddon Combine to Four-Hit Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Torra Deals Complete Game in 9-2 Aces Victory - Reno Aces
- Express Edged 5-3 by Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Slip by Express in Opener - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Roll the Zephyrs - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Sounds Take Series Opener from Zephyrs, 10-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Doubled Up by Royals, 6-3 - Iowa Cubs
- Luna an All-Star - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Beavers Return to PGE Park Sunday Night for Fourth of July Fireworks - Portland Beavers
- 51s Baseball to be Featured on Holly's World on Sunday, July 4 - Las Vegas 51s
- Express Outfielder Brian Bogusevic Named PCL All-Star - Round Rock Express
- Two River Cats Named to 2010 Pacific Coast League All-Star Team - Sacramento River Cats
- Gibbons, Lindsey, May Named to PCL All-Star Squad - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 51s Baseball to Participate in "Stars & Stripes" Caps This Weekend - Las Vegas 51s
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Beavers' Ernesto Frieri to Represent PCL in Triple-A All-Star Game - Portland Beavers
- First-Place Grizzlies Send Two to All-Star Game - Fresno Grizzlies
- Barney, Diamond Named to PCL All-Star Team - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds SS Luis Cruz Named to PCL All-Star Team - Nashville Sounds
- Zephyrs' Luna Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Gordon, Ka'Aihue Named PCL All-Stars - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces' Norberto Named Pacific Coast League All-Star - Reno Aces
- Two 'Birds Named to All-Star Team - Memphis Redbirds
- Thompson and Trumbo Named 2010 PCL All-Stars - Salt Lake Bees
- Three Sky Sox Named to the 2010 PCL All-Star Team - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Erik Bedard Set to Make Rehab Start with Rainiers - Tacoma Rainiers
- Luke French Elected to Triple-A All-Star Team - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Ready to Celebrate Independence Day Weekend Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Salt Lake Bees To Honor The Late Quinn Falk - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.