Beavers' Ernesto Frieri to Represent PCL in Triple-A All-Star Game
PORTLAND, Ore. - Portland Beavers right-handed pitcher Ernesto Frieri has been chosen to represent the Pacific Coast League in the 2010 Triple-A All-Star Game, which will be held at Coca-Cola Park in Allentown, Pa., the home of the International League's Lehigh Valley IronPigs, on Wednesday, July 14.
A native of Bolivar, Colombia, Frieri is 3-1 with 15 saves, a 1.65 ERA (6er, 32.2ip) and 39 strikeouts in 30 relief appearances for Portland this season. Frieri, who had pitched primarily as a starter over the last two seasons, leads all PCL relievers in opponents' batting average (.112) and base runners per nine innings (8.27) and ranks second in saves and strikeouts per nine innings (10.74). Frieri opened the 2010 season with a 12-inning scoreless streak and is currently riding another 10 2/3-inning streak.
The 24-year-old right-hander marks his second All-Star appearance, having played in the Texas League All-Star Game in 2009. Signed by the San Diego Padres as a non-drafted free agent on Jan. 18, 2003, Frieri made his major league debut with the club on Sept. 26, 2009, and pitched two scoreless appearances.
Frieri's inclusion marks the 10th time in the Beavers' 10 seasons back in the PCL that a Portland pitcher was named to the PCL All-Star team. Last season, pitcher Scott Patterson represented the Beavers in the Cricket Wireless Triple-A All-Star Game at PGE Park in Portland. Beavers outfielder Chad Huffman and manager Randy Ready also took part in the game.
Both PCL and IL All-Star teams are selected by club personnel, field managers, media representatives and through online fan balloting. This year's game marks the 13th consecutive season that teams representing the PCL and IL have met; the prior 10 meetings pitted National League affiliates against American League affiliates.
The International League All-Star team was announced Tuesday and included Indianapolis catcher Erik Kratz, who won IL Top Star honors at last year's game at PGE Park.
Former Beavers infielder Luis Cruz made the PCL squad as a member of the Nashville Sounds, and former Oregon State standout and current Iowa Cubs infielder Darwin Barney was also named to the PCL side.
The 2010 Triple-A All-Star Game will be broadcast at 4 p.m. (Pacific) by MLB Network, with Philadelphia Phillies play-by-play broadcaster Tom McCarthy joining former Phillies closer and current MLB Network analyst Mitch Williams calling the action. The game can be heard locally on Freedom 970 AM and on the Internet at www.portlandbeavers.com with Lehigh Valley's Matt Provence and New Orleans play-by-play man Tim Grubbs on the air.
PORTLAND BEAVERS TRIPLE-A ALL-STAR GAME PARTICIPANTS
2001 - Sean Burroughs (3B)
2002 - Dave Lundquist (RHP), Alex Pelaez (3B)
2003 - Rick Sweet (Manager), Tagg Bozied (1B), Bernie Castro (2B)
2004 - Marty McLeary (RHP), John Maxwell (Athletic Trainer), *Bart Miadich (RHP)
2005 - Clay Hensley (RHP), J.J. Furmaniak (3B), *Brad Baker (RHP)
2006 - Justin Leone (3B)
2007 - Jack Cassel (RHP)
2008 - *Brian Myrow (1B), Edwin Moreno (RHP)
2009 - Randy Ready (Manager), *Mike Ekstrom (RHP), Scott Patterson (RHP), Chad Huffman (OF), Rich Burk (Broadcaster), Tim Hagerty (Broadcaster)
2010 - Ernesto Frieri (RHP)
*Selected but did not play
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 1, 2010
- Rainiers Blast Past Portland - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sky Sox Sting Bees with Five Run Ninth, 8-7 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Tacoma's Bedard, Seddon Combine to Four-Hit Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Torra Deals Complete Game in 9-2 Aces Victory - Reno Aces
- Express Edged 5-3 by Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Slip by Express in Opener - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Roll the Zephyrs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Take Series Opener from Zephyrs, 10-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Doubled Up by Royals, 6-3 - Iowa Cubs
- Luna an All-Star - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Beavers Return to PGE Park Sunday Night for Fourth of July Fireworks - Portland Beavers
- 51s Baseball to be Featured on Holly's World on Sunday, July 4 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Express Outfielder Brian Bogusevic Named PCL All-Star - Round Rock Express
- Two River Cats Named to 2010 Pacific Coast League All-Star Team - Sacramento River Cats
- Gibbons, Lindsey, May Named to PCL All-Star Squad - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 51s Baseball to Participate in "Stars & Stripes" Caps This Weekend - Las Vegas Aviators
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Beavers' Ernesto Frieri to Represent PCL in Triple-A All-Star Game - Portland Beavers
- First-Place Grizzlies Send Two to All-Star Game - Fresno Grizzlies
- Barney, Diamond Named to PCL All-Star Team - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds SS Luis Cruz Named to PCL All-Star Team - Nashville Sounds
- Zephyrs' Luna Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Gordon, Ka'Aihue Named PCL All-Stars - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces' Norberto Named Pacific Coast League All-Star - Reno Aces
- Two 'Birds Named to All-Star Team - Memphis Redbirds
- Thompson and Trumbo Named 2010 PCL All-Stars - Salt Lake Bees
- Three Sky Sox Named to the 2010 PCL All-Star Team - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Erik Bedard Set to Make Rehab Start with Rainiers - Tacoma Rainiers
- Luke French Elected to Triple-A All-Star Team - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Ready to Celebrate Independence Day Weekend Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Salt Lake Bees To Honor The Late Quinn Falk - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss