Tacoma's Bedard, Seddon Combine to Four-Hit Beavers
TACOMA, Wash. - Left-handers Erik Bedard and Chris Seddon combined on a four-hitter and Greg Halman's team-leading 15th home run broke a 1-1 tie in the seventh inning as the Tacoma Rainiers defeated the Portland Beavers 2-1 at Cheney Stadium Thursday night.
Bedard, making his third rehab start and first above rookie-level as he returns from offseason shoulder surgery, went 4 1/3 innings and allowed just an unearned run on three hits and three walks with three strikeouts. Seddon (9-4), who shares the Rainiers' (42-38) team lead in wins, finished off the gem, pitching 4 2/3 scoreless frames while giving up just a hit and a walk.
Halman's seventh-inning blast to right-center off Cesar Carrillo (4-7) gave the first-place Rainiers their 25th win over the Beavers (31-49) in the last 30 games between the two Northwest clubs.
Carrillo and reliever Greg Burke tossed a four-hitter of their own for Portland. Carrillo went seven innings and allowed all four hits and both runs, walking four and fanning seven, though he suffered a career-high fourth straight loss.
Cedric Hunter's two-out triple in the seventh inning was Portland's only extra-base hit. The Beavers' only run came on a fifth-inning error.
Carrillo had trouble with his control in the second inning, walking Brad Nelson to start the inning before Adam Moore singled to right. After recording the first out, Carrillo then walked Halman to load the bases and struck out David Winfree before Mike Wilson drew an RBI walk on five pitches to give Tacoma the early 1-0 lead.
In the fifth, the Beavers used a Rainiers miscue to tie the game. Bedard walked Craig Stansberry and Luis Durango got aboard with a bunt single and both runners moved up on Hunter's sacrifice. Seddon then replaced Bedard and induced a grounder to third, which Matt Tuiasosopo misplayed, allowing Stansberry to score.
Carrillo had retired 11 straight batters before Halman took him the opposite way for a solo shot in the seventh.
The three-game series between the Beavers and Rainiers continues Friday night at 7 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: The Beavers rank last in the PCL in batting average (.249) while the Rainiers rank second-to-last (.257) ... Bedard had previously made two rehab starts with the Seattle Mariners' rookie league team in Peoria, Ariz.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 1, 2010
- Rainiers Blast Past Portland - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sky Sox Sting Bees with Five Run Ninth, 8-7 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Tacoma's Bedard, Seddon Combine to Four-Hit Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Torra Deals Complete Game in 9-2 Aces Victory - Reno Aces
- Express Edged 5-3 by Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Slip by Express in Opener - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Roll the Zephyrs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Take Series Opener from Zephyrs, 10-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Doubled Up by Royals, 6-3 - Iowa Cubs
- Luna an All-Star - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Beavers Return to PGE Park Sunday Night for Fourth of July Fireworks - Portland Beavers
- 51s Baseball to be Featured on Holly's World on Sunday, July 4 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Express Outfielder Brian Bogusevic Named PCL All-Star - Round Rock Express
- Two River Cats Named to 2010 Pacific Coast League All-Star Team - Sacramento River Cats
- Gibbons, Lindsey, May Named to PCL All-Star Squad - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 51s Baseball to Participate in "Stars & Stripes" Caps This Weekend - Las Vegas Aviators
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Beavers' Ernesto Frieri to Represent PCL in Triple-A All-Star Game - Portland Beavers
- First-Place Grizzlies Send Two to All-Star Game - Fresno Grizzlies
- Barney, Diamond Named to PCL All-Star Team - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds SS Luis Cruz Named to PCL All-Star Team - Nashville Sounds
- Zephyrs' Luna Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Gordon, Ka'Aihue Named PCL All-Stars - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces' Norberto Named Pacific Coast League All-Star - Reno Aces
- Two 'Birds Named to All-Star Team - Memphis Redbirds
- Thompson and Trumbo Named 2010 PCL All-Stars - Salt Lake Bees
- Three Sky Sox Named to the 2010 PCL All-Star Team - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Erik Bedard Set to Make Rehab Start with Rainiers - Tacoma Rainiers
- Luke French Elected to Triple-A All-Star Team - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Ready to Celebrate Independence Day Weekend Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Salt Lake Bees To Honor The Late Quinn Falk - Salt Lake Bees
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss