Wolves Snow Rivermen, 4-2
ROSEMONT, Ill.---Rookie defenseman Paul Postma broke a 2-2 tie with 6:59 left in the third period and Joey Crabb added an empty-net tally to give the Chicago Wolves a 4-2 victory over the Peoria Rivermen at the Allstate Arena Tuesday night.
With the Wolves working on the power play, right wing Tim Stapleton took a pass at the top of the zone, held it and then sent it across to Postma, who wound up and hammered a shot past Peoria netminder Ben Bishop for the game-winner. Crabb finished the scoring, 4-2, with an empty net goal, his second of the night, with 20 seconds left to play.
The win marked the ninth time in the last 10 home matchups in which Chicago (30-17-0-4) has been victorious. The club thanked fans for their loyalty and hometown support by offering a complimentary ticket, good for any remaining February home game, to anyone holding a ticket for tonight's game - used or unused - because of the severe winter weather Tuesday night.
"They were tired and we had the benefit of a little rest this weekend, but I thought we controlled the game," said Wolves Head Coach Don Lever. "We're playing very well in front of our goaltenders and playing a good team game right now."
Peoria (24-21-1-5) opened scoring on the power play after a Wolves player went down injured, opening up the ice for the defenseman Jonas Junland to fire a rocket past Wolves goaltender Peter Mannino, 6:40 into the first frame.
Center Riley Holzapfel brought the Wolves even, 1-1, at 10:50 of the first period. Right wing Spencer Machacek drove into the Rivermen zone, spun around and dropped off the puck for Holzapfel, who ripped it past Bishop.
Joey Crabb wrapped around the net and deposited the puck into the corner out of Bishop's reach with 6:26 remaining in the second frame to give the Wolves a 2-1 lead.
Bishop (15-11-3) turned aside 33 shots for the Rivermen.
Peoria tied the game, 2-2, when Nicolas Drazenovic stripped a Wolves player off a puck along the boards and broke down the ice, slipped a pass to Brett Sonne, who flung a shot down the slot, past Mannino.
Mannino (15-3-0) posted 22 saves in his career-best seventh straight win, and his 11th straight start allowing two or fewer goals.
The Wolves travel to Texas this weekend for a three-game road swing, starting when they face the Texas Stars at Cedar Park Center on Friday at 7:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2010
- Late Goal Lifts Wolves Past Peoria, 4-2 - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Take 2-1 Win In Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Griffins Hold Off Stars 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Thrashers Assign Vishnevskiy To Wolves After Acquiring Him For Lehtonen - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Snow Rivermen, 4-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Dallas Trades Vishnevskiy To Atlanta - Texas Stars
- Wolves Snow Fans The Love - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Recall Boedker And Hoggan From San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Albany Out For Revenge Against Binghamton & Hershey - Albany River Rats
- Moose Re-Assign Taylor Ellington To Salmon Kings - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Release Rankin From PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Oklahoma City Joining AHL In 2010-11 - AHL
- Mercury Recording Artist Jessie James To Perform National Anthem At Mirabito Outdoor Classic - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Continue Homestand With Critical Games - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Weekly: Week Of Feb. 8, 2010 - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Announce Transactions Headed Into Crucial Game Tomorrow Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Continues February 10th At Nibsy's Pub - Syracuse Crunch
- Best Buy Kids' Day Game Scheduled For Feb. 15 - Rockford IceHogs
- AHL Single-Game Attendance Record in Sight - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Announce Player Movement - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Yonkman, Wilson Recalled By Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- Cast Your Pirates Hall Of Fame Ballot Today - Portland Pirates
- Admirals Present Tribute To Wrestling February 21st - Milwaukee Admirals
- B-Sens Recall Dansereau, Lowry And Spencer From Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks Announce 2010 Reading Power Play Winners - Rochester Americans
- Panthers Recall Oreskovich; Reassign Calla To Florida - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Edge Heat 3-2 In Shootout - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.