Amerks Announce 2010 Reading Power Play Winners
(Rochester, NY)... The Rochester Americans announced today that first-grader Beth Pangia (pon-JUH) and sixth-grader Tommy Carr are this year's winners of the fifth annual Amerks Reading Power Play program.
Pangia, of Lima, and Carr, of Churchville, were selected from over 100 candidates, ranging from grades K-12. The two lucky winners and their families will enjoy dinner and have the opportunity to watch the Amerks take on the Lake Erie Monsters from the Amerks suite Saturday night at The Blue Cross Arena. Additionally, Pangia and Carr will each get to perform the ceremonial puck drop prior to the 7:35 p.m. contest.
The reading campaign took place from October to January and consisted of 24 appearances from the Amerks players and The Moose to libraries in and around the Monroe County area. The visiting player read to the youth and performed a hockey demonstration. Each appearance also featured a raffle for Amerk memorabilia and an autograph session by the visiting player and The Moose. The Amerks also distributed ticket vouchers and activity books to each youth in attendance good for one complimentary ticket for any Amerks home game from November 20th to February 20th. The vouchers and books were each courtesy of The College at Brockport.
The Reading Power Play is a reading program that uses the successful incentive formula employed in summer reading programs. Using the hat trick as a thematic vehicle, youth participants filled out a form for every three books they read, which qualified them for an entry in the grand prize drawing.
The Amerks make their first trip back to the Glens Falls Civic Center for the first time in 11 years on Wednesday, February 10th for a 7:00 p.m. tilt with the Adirondack Phantoms. The matchup will be the third of four scheduled meetings between the interstate rivals this season and will be broadcast live on SportsRadio 1280 WHTK and FM 107.3, Rochester's Sports Talk.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2010
- Late Goal Lifts Wolves Past Peoria, 4-2 - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Take 2-1 Win In Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Griffins Hold Off Stars 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Thrashers Assign Vishnevskiy To Wolves After Acquiring Him For Lehtonen - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Snow Rivermen, 4-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Dallas Trades Vishnevskiy To Atlanta - Texas Stars
- Wolves Snow Fans The Love - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Recall Boedker And Hoggan From San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Albany Out For Revenge Against Binghamton & Hershey - Albany River Rats
- Moose Re-Assign Taylor Ellington To Salmon Kings - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Release Rankin From PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Oklahoma City Joining AHL In 2010-11 - AHL
- Mercury Recording Artist Jessie James To Perform National Anthem At Mirabito Outdoor Classic - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Continue Homestand With Critical Games - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Weekly: Week Of Feb. 8, 2010 - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Announce Transactions Headed Into Crucial Game Tomorrow Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Continues February 10th At Nibsy's Pub - Syracuse Crunch
- Best Buy Kids' Day Game Scheduled For Feb. 15 - Rockford IceHogs
- AHL Single-Game Attendance Record in Sight - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Announce Player Movement - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Yonkman, Wilson Recalled By Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- Cast Your Pirates Hall Of Fame Ballot Today - Portland Pirates
- Admirals Present Tribute To Wrestling February 21st - Milwaukee Admirals
- B-Sens Recall Dansereau, Lowry And Spencer From Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks Announce 2010 Reading Power Play Winners - Rochester Americans
- Panthers Recall Oreskovich; Reassign Calla To Florida - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Edge Heat 3-2 In Shootout - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.