Late Goal Lifts Wolves Past Peoria, 4-2
ROSEMONT, Ill. (February 9, 2010) - Ben Bishop held Peoria in the game with 18 saves in the second period but the Chicago Wolves emerged with a 4-2 victory on Tuesday night at Allstate Arena. The loss ended Peoria's four-game road trip with a record of 1-3-0 as they head back to Carver Arena with four of their next five games on home ice.
The Rivermen kick off a two-game set with the San Antonio Rampage on Friday at 7 p.m. Peoria is 3-0-0 against the Rampage this season.
Peoria grabbed an early 1-0 lead on a Jonas Junland's 11th of the season. The goal, at 6:40 of the first, was also his eighth power-play marker as it came with Reid Simpson in the box for interference.
The Wolves rallied for two quick goals to take a 2-1 lead into the first intermission. Riley Holzapfel picked up his sixth at 10:50 after the puck rolled out to him out of a scrum in front of the Rivermen goal. His quick wrist shot went over the glove of Bishop to tie the game at 1-1. Then at 13:34, with Junland in the box for boarding, Joey Crabb beat Bishop around the back of the net with a wraparound for his first of two on the night.
The second period began with the game's only fight that put 20-year-old rookie Anthony Peluso up against the 40-year-old Simpson who was playing in his first game since the 2006-07 season in Russia. Peluso finished off the fight by knocking down Simpson at 2:25 and the Rivermen responded just 26 seconds later to tie the game.
Nicholas Drazenovic, cut off along the wall by Chris Chelios was able to find Brett Sonne trailing the play on his way to the goal. Sonne placed a shot between the legs of Peter Mannino to knot the score at 2-2. Bishop was Peoria's best penalty-killer in the middle period. He came up with 18 saves to help thwart three Wolves' power plays that all came within a 7 minute span.
In the third, the Rivermen outshot the Wolves 12-8 but Chicago scored on the power play and again on an empty net to pull in front for good. After the Rivermen missed out on their two power plays of the third period, Paul Postma ripped home a one-timer with just 6:59 remaining. Off the faceoff, Tim Stapleton set up Postma for the drive from the top of the left circle that sailed under the bar and over Bishop's glove for his fifth of the year.
Crabb finished off Peoria with an empty-netter at 19:40.
Mannino finished with 22 saves to improve to 5-0-0 against the Rivermen this season. Peoria is 1-5-1 overall against the Wolves in 2009-10. Bishop took the loss with 33 saves.
The Rivermen host the San Antonio Rampage on Friday at 7 p.m. The first 1,000 fans will receive an oversized player card of Ben Bishop courtesy of Arby's. After the game, Christian band Need2Breathe will perform - presented by Hoerr's Berean Bookstore. For tickets stop by the Rivermen office, call 309-676-1040 or visit www.rivermen.net/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2010
- Late Goal Lifts Wolves Past Peoria, 4-2 - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Take 2-1 Win In Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Griffins Hold Off Stars 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Thrashers Assign Vishnevskiy To Wolves After Acquiring Him For Lehtonen - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Snow Rivermen, 4-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Dallas Trades Vishnevskiy To Atlanta - Texas Stars
- Wolves Snow Fans The Love - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Recall Boedker And Hoggan From San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Albany Out For Revenge Against Binghamton & Hershey - Albany River Rats
- Moose Re-Assign Taylor Ellington To Salmon Kings - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Release Rankin From PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Oklahoma City Joining AHL In 2010-11 - AHL
- Mercury Recording Artist Jessie James To Perform National Anthem At Mirabito Outdoor Classic - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Continue Homestand With Critical Games - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Weekly: Week Of Feb. 8, 2010 - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Announce Transactions Headed Into Crucial Game Tomorrow Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Continues February 10th At Nibsy's Pub - Syracuse Crunch
- Best Buy Kids' Day Game Scheduled For Feb. 15 - Rockford IceHogs
- AHL Single-Game Attendance Record in Sight - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Announce Player Movement - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Yonkman, Wilson Recalled By Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- Cast Your Pirates Hall Of Fame Ballot Today - Portland Pirates
- Admirals Present Tribute To Wrestling February 21st - Milwaukee Admirals
- B-Sens Recall Dansereau, Lowry And Spencer From Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks Announce 2010 Reading Power Play Winners - Rochester Americans
- Panthers Recall Oreskovich; Reassign Calla To Florida - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Edge Heat 3-2 In Shootout - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.