Admirals Continue Homestand With Critical Games
NORFOLK, Va. - Winners of seven of their last ten games, the Norfolk Admirals will conclude a six-game homestand this week with three critical games at Scope.
The Admirals began last week by pushing the Hershey Bears to overtime before falling 3-2 in a shootout on Wednesday. Norfolk ran its streak of games earning at least one point to nine games with a 3-2 overtime victory on Friday versus Hartford. The Wolf Pack then snapped that streak on Saturday with a 5-1 decision over the Admirals.
The Admirals will conclude their six-game homestand with a game against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Wednesday night and games against the Lowell Devils on Friday and Saturday nights. Wednesday night's game is another Family Fun Pack Night and Student Rush Night presented by Pit Bull Energy Drink and Baxter's Sports Lounge. Friday night is Military Appreciation Night. Saturday night is Colonial Council Scout Night. The Admirals will give away 2,000 of the second set of Admirals trading cards on Saturday night. For more details, please see below.
*EAST DIVISION STANDINGS*
At 24-24-3-1 (52 points), the Admirals are in third place in the American Hockey League's East Division. The East is led by the Hershey Bears (39-9-0-2, 76 pts) and the Albany River Rats (27-19-3-2, 59 pts). The Adirondack Phantoms (23-23-2-2) and Syracuse Crunch (22-23-3-3) are tied for fourth place and are just two points back of Norfolk with 50 points on the season. The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (23-25-1-1, 48 pts) are just four points back of Norfolk in sixth while the Binghamton Senators (20-23-3-1) are eight points back of the Admirals in seventh place with 44 points.
*THE ADMIRALS' WEEK AHEAD*
*Wed., Feb. 10... vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (Pittsburgh Penguins)... 7:15 p.m.*
*Fri., Feb. 12... vs. Lowell Devils (New Jersey Devils)... 7:15 p.m.*
*Sat., Feb. 13... vs. Lowell Devils (New Jersey Devils)... 7:15 p.m.*
- The Admirals' nine-game point streak ended with seven wins, one overtime loss and one shootout loss between January 22 and February 5. That is tied for the third-longest point streak in AHL Admirals history and is the longest point streak since October 6 - November 4, 2006, when Norfolk went ten straight games with a point (8-0-1-1).
- Dustin Tokarski's five-game winning streak ended in Wednesday's shootout loss to the Bears and his six-game unbeaten streak (5-0-1) ended in Saturday's loss to the Wolf Pack.
- The Admirals held the AHL's top scoring duo - Keith Aucoin and Alexandre Giroux - off the scoresheet on Wednesday at Scope, snapping a 16-game point streak for both of them and preventing Aucoin from tying the AHL record for consecutive games with an assist.
- Kenny Roche's third period power play goal on Saturday versus Hartford ended a streak of 16 consecutive opponent power plays killed by Norfolk.
- Justin Keller has points in three straight games (2G, 2A) and four of his last five games (3G, 2A).
- Mark Parrish has points in eight of his last 13 games (3G, 6A).
- Seventeen of Norfolk's final 28 games this season will be played at Norfolk Scope Arena and 20 of the 28 games are against East Division competitors.
*ADMIRALS FAMILY FUN PACKS*
When the Admirals take on the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins at Scope on Wednesday, it will be another Admirals Family Fun Pack Night. Family Fun Packs include four Red Level tickets for just $48 plus four free hot dogs, four free popcorns and four free sodas. That is a savings of $37! This great deal is available for all Tuesday and Wednesday night home games. The offer is available at the Scope Box Office, any Ticketmaster outlet, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 or online at ticketmaster.com.
*STUDENT RUSH NIGHTS*
When the Admirals take on the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins at Scope on Wednesday, it will also be another Student Rush Night, brought to you by Pit Bull Energy Drink and Baxter's Sports Lounge. All students have to do is show their valid, current student ID at the Scope Box Office after 2:00 p.m. on the day of the game and receive a White Level ticket for just $8 (normally $12). Plus, students will receive a buy one, get one free offer for the next Student Rush night. High School and College IDs are accepted. This offer is not available anywhere other than the Scope Box Office. This great deal is available for all Tuesday and Wednesday night home games.
Student Rush tickets will also get students $5.99 menu items at Baxter's Sports Lounge before and after the game that night. Baxter's Sports Lounge is located just behind Norfolk Scope at 500 Granby Street. Students of any age with Student Rush tickets will be permitted into Baxter's prior to game time. After the game, only students over age 21 with Student Rush ticket stubs will be permitted unless a parent or guardian accompanies them.
*MILITARY APPRECIATION NIGHT*
The Admirals will hold their second Military Appreciation Night of the 2009-10 season on Friday, February 12. The Admirals will be facing off against the Lowell Devils (AHL affiliate of the NHL's New Jersey Devils) at Scope starting at 7:15 p.m. Red Level Tickets (normally $14) will be available for just $9 at the Norfolk Scope Box Office
for all active or retired military, their dependents and reservists with valid military identification.
Groups of 25 or more can purchase their Red Level Tickets for just $8 by contacting the Admirals Group Sales Office via phone at (757) 640-1212 ext. 23 or ext. 24 or via email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
*COLONIAL COUNCIL SCOUT NIGHT*
Join us for Colonial Council Scout Night on Saturday. Special discounted tickets are available by contacting Cindy Fegley at (757) 334-2464 or email@example.com through Tuesday, February 9. Every ticket sold will earn $2 for the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia. All units purchasing tickets will be recognized on the Scope scoreboards.
*TRADING CARD GIVEAWAY*
The Admirals will give away 2,000 of the second series of Admirals trading cards.
*THIS WEEK ON THE ADMIRALS HOUR RADIO SHOW*
Join Pete Michaud and Pat Shetler for a special time for the Admirals Hour on Wednesday evening from 6:00 - 6:45 p.m. on ESPN Radio 94.1-FM. Then turn your dial to STAR 1310-AM at 7:00 p.m. for the STIHL Ice Breaker Pre-Game Show leading up to Wednesday's pivotal meeting with the Penguins.
The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins will make their second trek to Tidewater this season on Wednesday night. The Penguins (23-25-1-1, 48 points) are just four points back of the Admirals (24-24-3-1, 52 points) in the East Division standings). Norfolk is 3-1-0-0 against the Baby Pens this season including a 5-4 win in Pennsylvania on January 6 in the last meeting between the teams. Dustin Jeffrey leads the Penguins in assists and points (14G, 33A, 47PTS). Former Admiral Wyatt Smith ranks third in assists and fourth in points (10G, 20A, 30PTS) while former Admiral Wade Brookbank is the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton team leader with 110 penalty minutes. The Penguins have lost back-to-back games and nine of their last 12 games overall (3-9-0-0) including a 5-4 loss to Hershey on Sunday afternoon in the team's last game.
The Admirals host former Admiral Mike McKenna and the Lowell Devils in the final games between the teams this season on Friday and Saturday at Scope. Lowell (29-14-4-2, 64 points) sits in third place in the crowded Atlantic Division and is just two points back of Worcester for the division lead. Norfolk shut out Lowell 1-0 on January 24 in the last game between the teams to level the season series at one win apiece. McKenna (16-9-2, 2.29,.927) leads the Devils in games, wins, goals-against average and save percentage. Longtime Admirals nemesis Louis Robitaille leads the Devils with 225 penalty minutes. Both Lowell and Norfolk have gone to overtime in three of their last four games and both teams have recorded an overtime win, overtime loss and shootout loss in those games. The Devils are winless in their last three games (0-1-1-1) including a 4-3 shootout setback versus Portland on Saturday in their last game. Lowell does not play this week before facing off against the Admirals on Friday and Saturday.
To purchase tickets to any Admirals game, you may visit the Scope Box Office weekdays from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., visit any Ticketmaster outlet, call Ticketmaster at 1-800-745-3000 or visit Ticketmaster online at ticketmaster.com. Don't miss a minute of the action by purchasing your 2009-10 season tickets today. Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime!
*ON THE RADIO/INTERNET*
All eighty regular season games will air live on STAR 1310-AM and will stream online free of charge at star1310.com. AHL Live will carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch or get more information about AHL Live's online video features at ahllive.com.
* THE HEARTBEAT OF HAMPTON ROADS *
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2010
- Late Goal Lifts Wolves Past Peoria, 4-2 - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Take 2-1 Win In Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Griffins Hold Off Stars 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Thrashers Assign Vishnevskiy To Wolves After Acquiring Him For Lehtonen - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Snow Rivermen, 4-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Dallas Trades Vishnevskiy To Atlanta - Texas Stars
- Wolves Snow Fans The Love - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Recall Boedker And Hoggan From San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Albany Out For Revenge Against Binghamton & Hershey - Albany River Rats
- Moose Re-Assign Taylor Ellington To Salmon Kings - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Release Rankin From PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Oklahoma City Joining AHL In 2010-11 - AHL
- Mercury Recording Artist Jessie James To Perform National Anthem At Mirabito Outdoor Classic - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Continue Homestand With Critical Games - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Weekly: Week Of Feb. 8, 2010 - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Announce Transactions Headed Into Crucial Game Tomorrow Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Continues February 10th At Nibsy's Pub - Syracuse Crunch
- Best Buy Kids' Day Game Scheduled For Feb. 15 - Rockford IceHogs
- AHL Single-Game Attendance Record in Sight - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Announce Player Movement - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Yonkman, Wilson Recalled By Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- Cast Your Pirates Hall Of Fame Ballot Today - Portland Pirates
- Admirals Present Tribute To Wrestling February 21st - Milwaukee Admirals
- B-Sens Recall Dansereau, Lowry And Spencer From Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks Announce 2010 Reading Power Play Winners - Rochester Americans
- Panthers Recall Oreskovich; Reassign Calla To Florida - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Edge Heat 3-2 In Shootout - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.