Cast Your Pirates Hall Of Fame Ballot Today
Portland, Maine - The Portland Pirates of the American Hockey League announced today the four players that will be included on the ballot for induction into the Portland Pirates Hall of Fame presented by Unum. Mike Boback, Chris Jensen, Darren McAusland and Jeff Nelson are all eligible for induction in 2009. Voting is now open and will run until Friday, February 26th for fans to select the nominee they think should be inducted into the Hall of Fame presented by Unum.
The Portland Pirates Hall of Fame, presented by Unum, was founded in 1999 as a way to honor those players and coaches and other individuals who had played a significant role in Pirates' history.
Andrew Brunette, Byron Dafoe and Olaf Kolzig were the charter members of the Hall of Fame in 1999. In the years since Kevin Kaminski, Steve Poapst, Kent Hulst, Martin Brochu, Ryan Mulhern, Barry Trotz, Todd Nelson, Jim Carey and Tom Ebright have joined the elite list of Pirates Hall of Fame members.
In order for a player, coach or individual to be eligible, he must have taken part in at least 40 Pirates' games and, at the time of his induction, been at least one year removed from the club and be retired from playing the game of hockey (eligibility criteria revised July 1, 2004).
The 2009 Nominees:
Mike Boback - (1993-95) GP 100, G 30, A 79, PTS 109
Mike Boback, an original Pirate, was an explosive forward who created scoring opportunities for his teammates. During Portland's inaugural season, Boback played a vital role in the post-season. He scored ten goals and tallied 17 assists for 27 points in 17 playoff games en route to the Pirates first Calder Cup Championship in 1994. In his final season with the Pirates in 1995, he missed nearly half the season due to injury, but in only 32 games he tallied 36 assists and 50 points. Today, he still ranks 11th all-time in the Pirates' history for most assists (79), has a career points per game ratio of 1.09 and was voted an AHL All-Star during the 1994-95 season. Mike also remains tied for the AHL playoff record for points scored in a game with 7 (3 G, 4 A) against Albany on April 23, 1994. At Providence College, Boback was a two-time First Team All Hockey East selection, both in 1989-90 and in 1991-92.
Chris Jensen - (1993-95) GP 123, G 68, A 70, PTS 138
Chris Jensen brought his veteran leadership, his imposing slap shot and superior passing skills to the inaugural Pirates season and was instrumental in the team's Calder Cup win by scoring 16 points in 16 playoff games. In that year Jensen was 4th on the team in scoring with 61 points and in the following year was 3rd on the team in scoring with 77 points. Jensen left the Pirates with an astounding 1.12 points per game average, became 7th on the all-time goals scored list and 12th on the most points list for the Pirates. He was selected 78th overall by the New York Rangers in the 1982 Entry Draft before accepting a scholarship to the University of North Dakota. Jensen played in the NHL for six seasons with the New York Rangers and the Philadelphia Flyers and played in a total of 74 NHL games with 21 points.
Darren McAusland - (1993-97, 99-00) GP 241, G 34, A 69, PTS 103
Darren McAusland, an original Pirate, was a solid contributor who made the playoffs every year he was in a Pirates uniform and won a Calder Cup Championship in his first year with the team. A testament to his solid contributions was Darren being voted by the fans as the Unsung Hero Award recipient as the player who fans felt had surpassed all expectations that season to be one of the club's most valuable assets. Darren had his best year in the 1995 campaign, as he was tenth in the team in scoring with 31 points tallied. He ended his Pirates career averaging.43 points per game, and was 21st on the all-time scoring list and 10th on the all-time total games played list.
Jeff Nelson - (1993-96, 1999-2001) 336 GP, G 124, A 222, PTS 346
Jeff Nelson was a prolific scorer who racked up 346 points in 336 games over the course of five seasons with the Pirates. Selected 36th overall by the Washington Capitals in the 1991 NHL Entry Draft, Nelson was an original member of the Pirates and helped the club to the Calder Cup in 1993-94. He finished his first Portland season fourth in AHL scoring with 34 goals and 73 assists for 107 points (his assist and point total remain franchise records) and added another 15 points in 17 post season contests. Despite being nearly a decade removed from his last game as a member of the Pirates, Nelson, whose older brother Todd was inducted into the Pirates Hall of Fame in 2006, remains second in franchise history in goals (124), assists (222) and points (346). In total, Nelson played 17 professional seasons, including parts of three seasons (52 games) in the NHL with Washington and Nashville.
To cast your vote for one of this year's four nominees visit portlandpirates.com. Ballots will also be available at the Customer Service table located in the main lobby during home games. Results will be tabulated, and the newest inductee will be honored in an on-ice ceremony on Saturday, March 27, 2010 during the 7 p.m. game against the Springfield Falcons. Voting will conclude on Friday, February 26, 2010.
Portland Pirates Hall of Fame presented by Unum:
1999 Andrew Brunette, Byron Dafoe, Olaf Kolzig
2000 Kevin Kaminski
2001 Steve Poapst
2002 Kent Hulst
2003 Martin Brochu
2004 Ryan Mulhern
2005 Barry Trotz
2006 Todd Nelson
2007 Jim Carey
2008 Tom Ebright
The next Pirates home games take place this Friday and Saturday at the Cumberland County Civic Center against the Syracuse Crunch and Adirondack Phantoms, respectively.
Friday against the Crunch it is WCYY Guitar Hero and Maine Chevy Dealers Towel Giveaway Night. Come test your Guitar Hero skills and you could make it to the final round and play in front of all the Pirates fans on the scoreboard. The grand prize winner will be taking home concert tickets to the Breaking Benjamin, 3 Days Grace and Flyleaf show being held at the CCCC on Sunday, February 14th. Plus, the first 1,000 fans receive a Pirates towel courtesy of Maine Chevy Dealers.
Saturday when the Pirates meet Phantoms it's another Labatt Blue Light Hockey Night in Portland. Enjoy pre- and post-game specials at Binga's Stadium, Brian Boru, Frosty Pint and Spring Point Tavern. One lucky fan could win Salty Pete's Treasure Chest filled with more than $500 in prizes and Positive 89.3 will present a pre-game concert featuring Johnny Diaz.
Tickets for the games are available by calling (207) 775-3458, visiting the Cumberland County Civic Center Box Office or going on-line at www.portlandpirates.com.
It's a 2010 Time Warner Cable AHL All-Star Classic Season in Portland. Come See What You've Been Missing. WWW.PORTLANDPIRATES.COM
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2010
- Late Goal Lifts Wolves Past Peoria, 4-2 - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Take 2-1 Win In Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Griffins Hold Off Stars 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Thrashers Assign Vishnevskiy To Wolves After Acquiring Him For Lehtonen - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Snow Rivermen, 4-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Dallas Trades Vishnevskiy To Atlanta - Texas Stars
- Wolves Snow Fans The Love - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Recall Boedker And Hoggan From San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Albany Out For Revenge Against Binghamton & Hershey - Albany River Rats
- Moose Re-Assign Taylor Ellington To Salmon Kings - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Release Rankin From PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Oklahoma City Joining AHL In 2010-11 - AHL
- Mercury Recording Artist Jessie James To Perform National Anthem At Mirabito Outdoor Classic - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Continue Homestand With Critical Games - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Weekly: Week Of Feb. 8, 2010 - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Announce Transactions Headed Into Crucial Game Tomorrow Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Continues February 10th At Nibsy's Pub - Syracuse Crunch
- Best Buy Kids' Day Game Scheduled For Feb. 15 - Rockford IceHogs
- AHL Single-Game Attendance Record in Sight - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Announce Player Movement - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Yonkman, Wilson Recalled By Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- Cast Your Pirates Hall Of Fame Ballot Today - Portland Pirates
- Admirals Present Tribute To Wrestling February 21st - Milwaukee Admirals
- B-Sens Recall Dansereau, Lowry And Spencer From Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks Announce 2010 Reading Power Play Winners - Rochester Americans
- Panthers Recall Oreskovich; Reassign Calla To Florida - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Edge Heat 3-2 In Shootout - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.