Marlies Edge Heat 3-2 In Shootout
ABBOTSFORD, B.C. - The Abbotsford HEAT could not duplicate the same kind of shootout success two games in a row as the Toronto Marlies edged the Abbotsford Heat 3-2 in AHL action on Monday night before 3,629 fans at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre Monday.. Colin Stuart was the only HEAT player to tally in the five-player shootout, while Justin Hodgman and Josh Engel scored for the Marlies. It was only the sixth road win for the Marlies this American Hockey League season.
It was the second consecutive HEAT home game that went to a shootout to decide a winner. On Friday, the HEAT defeated the Chicago Wolves 3-2 in a shootout win. The game saw nine shooters from each team participate in the shootout before a winner was determined.
Alex Berry opened scoring for the Marlies in the first period, beating Shantz on a goalmouth scramble less than five minutes into the game. The Marlies held a 1-0 lead after one period of play.
In the second period, Jason Jaffray scored his team-leading 18th goal of the season less than two minutes in to tie the game 1-1. Evan Barlow crossed the Toronto blue line and dropped the puck for Jaffray. The HEAT forward picked up and fired a laser past Marlies' goaltender Joey MacDonald.
Colin Stuart then gave the HEAT a 2-1 lead when his hard slap shot from the top of the faceoff circle was deflected past a screened MacDonald. It was Stuart's 12th goal of the season, and it gave the Heat their first lead of the night. But the lead would be short-lived, as with less than two minutes left in the second period, Justin Hodgman broke in untouched on the HEAT goal and his nifty backhand to forehand move beat Shantz to tie the score 2-2.
The two teams played a scoreless third period, forcing the five-minute, four-on-four overtime period. The Marlies outshot the HEAT 6-5 in the third period and held a 28-24 edge in shots over three periods. Abbotsford would out chance and outshoot the Marlies 4-0 in the overtime period.
The game marked the return of Keith Aulie to Abbotsford. The lanky defenseman was part of the Calgary-Toronto trade, which saw Aulie and Flames defenseman Dion Phaneuf sent to Toronto.
The same two teams face off Tuesday at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre. Game time is 7:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2010
- Late Goal Lifts Wolves Past Peoria, 4-2 - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Take 2-1 Win In Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Griffins Hold Off Stars 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Thrashers Assign Vishnevskiy To Wolves After Acquiring Him For Lehtonen - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Snow Rivermen, 4-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Dallas Trades Vishnevskiy To Atlanta - Texas Stars
- Wolves Snow Fans The Love - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Recall Boedker And Hoggan From San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Albany Out For Revenge Against Binghamton & Hershey - Albany River Rats
- Moose Re-Assign Taylor Ellington To Salmon Kings - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Release Rankin From PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Oklahoma City Joining AHL In 2010-11 - AHL
- Mercury Recording Artist Jessie James To Perform National Anthem At Mirabito Outdoor Classic - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Continue Homestand With Critical Games - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Weekly: Week Of Feb. 8, 2010 - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Announce Transactions Headed Into Crucial Game Tomorrow Night - Norfolk Admirals
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Continues February 10th At Nibsy's Pub - Syracuse Crunch
- Best Buy Kids' Day Game Scheduled For Feb. 15 - Rockford IceHogs
- AHL Single-Game Attendance Record in Sight - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Announce Player Movement - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Yonkman, Wilson Recalled By Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- Cast Your Pirates Hall Of Fame Ballot Today - Portland Pirates
- Admirals Present Tribute To Wrestling February 21st - Milwaukee Admirals
- B-Sens Recall Dansereau, Lowry And Spencer From Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks Announce 2010 Reading Power Play Winners - Rochester Americans
- Panthers Recall Oreskovich; Reassign Calla To Florida - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Edge Heat 3-2 In Shootout - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.