Witherspoon Homers in 5-3 Loss on Wednesday Night
Grant Witherspoon homered for the seventh time this season, but the Bowling Green Hot Rods could not overcome a four-run seventh by the Fort Wayne TinCaps as the Bowling Green Hot Rods lost 5-3 on Wednesday night at Bowling Green Ballpark. The Hot Rods fell to 38-28 ahead of the series finale on Thursday night, with a 6:35 p.m. first pitch.
After Alan Strong threw a scoreless first, the Hot Rods struck first against Fort Wayne starter Sam Keating. Michael Smith led off with a single, then advanced to second on an errant pickoff toss by Keating. Wander Franco followed with an RBI single to center, bringing home Smith for a 1-0 lead.
The lead didn't last long, as the TinCaps mounted a two-out rally. After Strong retired the first two hitters of the inning, Juan Fernandez singled to left. Lee Solomon followed with a double to right-center, scoring Fernandez all the way from first to tie the game at one apiece.
The score remained 1-1 through the middle innings as both Strong and Keating induced multiple double plays to aid their cause. The Hot Rods had a promising opportunity to take the lead in the sixth as Smith walked and Franco singled with one out, but Kaleo Johnson rolled into double play to end the inning.
In the seventh, Fort Wayne finally broke through against Strong. Agustin Ruiz doubled to start the inning, moved to third on a groundout, then scored on a single by Fernandez to break the tie. Following an intentional walk and fielder's choice, Jawuan Harris provided the key blow, launching a three-run homer to left, giving the TinCaps a 5-1 lead.
Bowling Green chipped away against Keating in the bottom of the seventh. Chris Betts led off with a single, then came home two batters later on a two-run homer by Witherspoon. His seventh homer of the season cut the deficit to 5-3. However, the Hot Rods drew no closer against two Fort Wayne relievers, falling for the second-straight night.
Strong (4-3) went 6.2 innings, allowing five runs on nine hits, walking two and striking out three as he took his third loss of the season. Nick Padilla came out of the bullpen, throwing 2.1 scoreless innings, allowing one hit and striking out two.
Notes: Franco has a 18-game on-base streak...He also has hit safely in four-straight games...Additionally, Franco collected his 22nd multi-hit game of the season...Smith picked up his ninth multi-hit effort...Witherspoon hit his seventh home run of the season, six of which have come at home...He picked up his ninth multi-RBI game of the year...Witherspoon recorded his fourth outfield assist of the season and the 15th for Bowling Green...Strong worked 6.2 innings, the fifth time this season he has worked into the seventh inning...He also allowed a career-high nine hits and five runs...The assist was the first for a Hot Rods outfielder since May 30...The Hot Rods are 12-6-2 in series...Bowling Green is now 7-5 in two-run games...BG fell to 5-21 when being outhit by their opponents...The Hot Rods are 32-18 against right-handed starters...BG is 22-12 at home...The Hot Rods will play the finale the three-game series against Fort Wayne on Thursday night, with the first pitch at 6:35 p.m....RHP Easton McGee (4-1, 3.05) will start for Bowling Green, while Fort Wayne counters with RHP Ramon Perez (1-4, 6.34)...Tomorrow is Bootlegger Thursday, sponsored by Casey Jones Distillery...There will be $1 and $2 drink specials all night as Bowling Green takes the field as the Bootleggers...Fans can catch all the action with Shawn Murnin on Willie 107.9 FM, as well as, with their smart phones via the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Cubs and Lugnuts Split Wednesday's Doubleheader 6-4, 6-2 - South Bend Cubs
- Lugs Split Doubleheader in South Bend - Lansing Lugnuts
- Encarnacion Homers in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Witherspoon Homers in 5-3 Loss on Wednesday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Fall 3-2 Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Game Postponed Until Tomorrow - Beloit Snappers
- Rain Postpones Bandits Game in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whiffer's Fitness Club All Set for 2019 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 12 at Bowling Green (Game 64) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Playoff Bound Once Again - Great Lakes Loons
- Cedar Rapids Rallies Past Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bechtold, Martinez Highlight 4-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Slip in Wild Card Race - Kane County Cougars
- Loons Blank Captains to Clinch Playoff Berth - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Beat Bees 10-4 in Road Opener - Burlington Bees
- Participants Announced for Donald Driver Charity Softball Game Presented by Network Health - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers can't complete comeback in slugfest loss to Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Register 20 Hits, Hang on Late for 10-9 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Oh Thank Heaven: Lugnuts Triumph, 11-7 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cubs Drop Opener against Lugnuts 11-7 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.