Playoff Bound Once Again
EASTLAKE, Ohio - From the very start, it seemed like the wait would only last one extra day. After failing to clinch a Midwest League Playoff spot in their first try on Tuesday night, the Great Lakes Loons completed the job on Wednesday as they shut out the Lake County Captains 5-0 to clinch their 7th postseason berth in franchise history.
It's the 3rd time the Loons (41-22) have clinched a playoff spot in the 1st half of the season, with the others being 2010 & 2015. Great Lakes was in the MWL Playoffs last year, but were swept in the Eastern Division Semifinals by the West Michigan Whitecaps. Back in 2016, the Loons made the most of their post-Labor Day baseball capturing their first MWL championship.
Overall, the Loons have a 13-15 record in postseason play, and have split their 10 series played going 5-5. They fare much better at home (8-5) than they do on the road (5-10) in the playoffs.
As for the clinching game, John Rooney (W, 3-1) made things uneventful as he was nearly untouchable in his start going 6.2 scoreless innings with five strikeouts. Nathan Witt and Brett de Geus combined to allow one baserunner the rest of the way.
After scoring runs on a wild pitch and a fielder's choice in the 2nd inning, and adding another via a Matt Cogen single in the 4th, it was MWL All-Star Niko Hulsizer who crushed his 14th home run of the season to cap off the celebratory afternoon.
The best first half in Loons franchise history came in 2010 when they finished with a 43-26 record (.623). The Loons' current win percentage is .651. This 2019 team needs just one win in their final four games to earn the highest 1st half win percentage in franchise history. The Loons would need to win their final four games to earn the highest win% for any half (.672).
Playoff schedule and ticket information has not been finalized yet. Stay tuned to Loons.com for updates on when the Loons will be playing their playoff game(s) at Dow Diamond and when tickets will go on sale.
John Rooney: 6.2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K (86 pitches, 57 strikes)
Niko Hulsizer: 2-for-4, HR (14), 2 RBI
James Outman & Matt Cogen: RBI
June 14: PRIDE Night; postgame concert by 'Valentiger'
June 15: Home Improvement Night feat. appearance by Richard Karn (Al Borland)
June 16: Prostate Cancer Awareness Day feat. postgame Father's Day catch on the field
June 17: Midwest League All-Star Game (South Bend, Ind.)
June 20: Lucky Hot Dog Night feat. X-Pogo Stunt Team
June 21: Polish Heritage Night feat. Feel Good Fridays & Extra Innings
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Cubs and Lugnuts Split Wednesday's Doubleheader 6-4, 6-2 - South Bend Cubs
- Lugs Split Doubleheader in South Bend - Lansing Lugnuts
- Encarnacion Homers in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Witherspoon Homers in 5-3 Loss on Wednesday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Fall 3-2 Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Game Postponed Until Tomorrow - Beloit Snappers
- Rain Postpones Bandits Game in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whiffer's Fitness Club All Set for 2019 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 12 at Bowling Green (Game 64) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Playoff Bound Once Again - Great Lakes Loons
- Cedar Rapids Rallies Past Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bechtold, Martinez Highlight 4-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Slip in Wild Card Race - Kane County Cougars
- Loons Blank Captains to Clinch Playoff Berth - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Beat Bees 10-4 in Road Opener - Burlington Bees
- Participants Announced for Donald Driver Charity Softball Game Presented by Network Health - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers can't complete comeback in slugfest loss to Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Register 20 Hits, Hang on Late for 10-9 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Oh Thank Heaven: Lugnuts Triumph, 11-7 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cubs Drop Opener against Lugnuts 11-7 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.