Cedar Rapids Rallies Past Wisconsin
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers had leads of 2-0 and 3-2 over the Cedar Rapids Kernels Wednesday afternoon at Perfect Game Field. However, the Kernels rallied to beat the Rattlers 4-3 and to stay in the thick of the playoff chase.
Korry Howell put the Timber Rattlers (29-36) in front with a two-out, two-RBI double in the top of the second inning.
Gabriel Maciel brought the Kernels (36-30) back to even with a two-out, two-RBI double in the bottom of the second inning.
Wisconsin went back in front in the top of the fifth inning. Chad McClanahan singled to right to drive in a run for a 3-2 lead.
Cedar Rapids came right back to tie the game in the bottom of the fifth. Estamy Ureña doubled with one out and moved to third on a wild pitch. Yeltsin Encarnacion drove in Ureña with a sacrifice fly.
Andrew Bechtold gave the Kernels their first lead of the game with a two-out solo home run to right in the bottom of the sixth. That would be enough for the Kernels, but not without the Rattlers making them sweat.
McClanahan singled to start the eighth and Brent Díaz drew a walk with one out to put two runners and force the Kernels to go to the bullpen. Moises Gomez took over for Jose Martinez and got a grounder to third off the bat of Je'Von Ward. Bechtold stepped on third to force McClanahan, but his throw to first was wild and Díaz wound up at third with the tying run. Gomez got the final out of the inning on a strikeout.
In the ninth, Yeison Coca singled with one out, but Gomez retired the next two batters on a popup and a strikeout to close out the Rattlers and record his second save of the season.
The loss was the fifth straight for the Rattlers.
The Kernels needed the win to stay one game behind the Burlington Bees in the First Half Western Division Wild Card race. The Bees held on for a 3-1 win at Kane County on Wednesday afternoon. There are four games left in the first half of the season.
The final game of the series is Thursday night at Perfect Game Field. Freisis Adames (0-0, 5.27) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Cedar Rapids had yet to name their starter for Thursday. Game time is 6:35pm. The radio broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM and the TuneIn Radio app starting with the Papa John's Pizza Pregame Show at 6:15pm. MiLB.tv subscribers can watch the game over the internet.
R H E
WIS 020 010 000 - 3 9 0
CR 020 011 00x - 4 7 2
Click here for Wednesday's Boxscore
Andrew Bechtold (5th, 0 on in 6th inning off Wilfred Salaman, 2 out)
WP: Jose Martinez (4-1)
LP: Wilfred Salaman (4-4)
SAVE: Moises Gomez (2)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Cubs and Lugnuts Split Wednesday's Doubleheader 6-4, 6-2 - South Bend Cubs
- Lugs Split Doubleheader in South Bend - Lansing Lugnuts
- Encarnacion Homers in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Witherspoon Homers in 5-3 Loss on Wednesday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Fall 3-2 Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Game Postponed Until Tomorrow - Beloit Snappers
- Rain Postpones Bandits Game in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whiffer's Fitness Club All Set for 2019 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 12 at Bowling Green (Game 64) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Playoff Bound Once Again - Great Lakes Loons
- Cedar Rapids Rallies Past Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bechtold, Martinez Highlight 4-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Slip in Wild Card Race - Kane County Cougars
- Loons Blank Captains to Clinch Playoff Berth - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Beat Bees 10-4 in Road Opener - Burlington Bees
- Participants Announced for Donald Driver Charity Softball Game Presented by Network Health - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers can't complete comeback in slugfest loss to Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Register 20 Hits, Hang on Late for 10-9 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Oh Thank Heaven: Lugnuts Triumph, 11-7 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cubs Drop Opener against Lugnuts 11-7 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.