Cougars Slip in Wild Card Race
Geneva, Illinois - Spencer Griffin's sixth inning homer downed the Kane County Cougars (33-32) in a 3-1 loss to the Burlington Bees (37-29) on Wednesday afternoon at Northwestern Medicine Field. The Cougars fell to 3.5 games back of Burlington for the Wild Card lead with five games to go in the first half.
The Cougars' only run of the day was in the first inning. Eduardo Diaz collected a one-out single and moved to third on a Joey Rose single and fielder's choice. Diaz scored on Bees pitcher Luis Alvarado's wild pitch.
The 1-0 lead held up until the fifth inning. Righty Jackson Goddard worked around four walks to throw four innings of no run, one-hit ball in a no decision. Blake Workman came out of relief for the fifth inning. He allowed singles to Alvaro Rubalcaba and Jordyn Adams to put runners at the corners. Workman threw a pickoff to first, Adams got into a rundown and was tagged out, but Rubalcaba scored from third to tie the game.
Spencer Griffin's sixth inning solo homer gave the Bees a 2-1 lead. Burlington added on in the ninth on an RBI single by Adams.
In the bottom of the ninth, three straight Cougar batters reached with one out. Buddy Kennedy walked, Blaze Alexander singled and Geraldo Perdomo was hit by a pitch. The following two batters were retired, Zack Shannon popped out and pinch hitter Eddie Hernandez struck out swinging to strand the bases loaded.
Blake Workman (0-3) took the loss, allowing two runs over four innings. Luis Alvarado (3-4) earned the win with a season-high 6.2 innings. He allowed one run on three hits and did not walk anyone. Tyler Smith (5) earned a seven-out save.
The Cougars and Bees play the rubber game of the three-game series on Thursday night at 6:30 P.M. Thursday is "Anchorman Night" at the ballpark with the first 1,500 fans receiving a Ron Burgundy bobblehead. Purchase tickets by calling 630-232-8811 or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Cubs and Lugnuts Split Wednesday's Doubleheader 6-4, 6-2 - South Bend Cubs
- Lugs Split Doubleheader in South Bend - Lansing Lugnuts
- Encarnacion Homers in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Witherspoon Homers in 5-3 Loss on Wednesday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Fall 3-2 Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Game Postponed Until Tomorrow - Beloit Snappers
- Rain Postpones Bandits Game in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whiffer's Fitness Club All Set for 2019 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 12 at Bowling Green (Game 64) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Playoff Bound Once Again - Great Lakes Loons
- Cedar Rapids Rallies Past Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bechtold, Martinez Highlight 4-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Slip in Wild Card Race - Kane County Cougars
- Loons Blank Captains to Clinch Playoff Berth - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Beat Bees 10-4 in Road Opener - Burlington Bees
- Participants Announced for Donald Driver Charity Softball Game Presented by Network Health - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers can't complete comeback in slugfest loss to Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Register 20 Hits, Hang on Late for 10-9 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Oh Thank Heaven: Lugnuts Triumph, 11-7 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cubs Drop Opener against Lugnuts 11-7 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season