Cubs Drop Opener against Lugnuts 11-7
South Bend, IN: After a 11-7 defeat to the Lansing Lugnuts on Tuesday night, the South Bend Cubs have seen their losing skid extend to five games entering the last week of the Midwest League's first half. Despite being up by a score of 5-2 early on, Lansing mounted a comeback and took game one behind two home runs from Griffin Conine.
The night started well for the Cubs on the mound with starter Faustino Carrera tossing quality start with three earned runs allowed in six innings. His ERA now sits at 2.78. Offensively, South Bend put the lefty in line for the win with a big three-run 3rd inning piloted by a two-run double from Cole Roederer.
Roederer is slowly but surely gaining back the momentum he had before going onto the Injured List in late May. After Roederer punched in the two RBI, Christopher Morel followed with an RBI sac fly to score another.
After Carrera departed after six innings, Jeff Passantino came in to try and preserve the lead. Passantino struggled on Tuesday and gave up five runs, including Conine's second home run over the batter's eye in center field. After the 7th inning, Lansing's lead jumped to 9-5.
In the 8th, Lansing added two more, but the Cubs rallied back with two of their own in the bottom of the 9th to cut it to a four-run game. This included a sharp single by Andy Weber into right field to score Brennen Davis.
With the loss, the Cubs fall to 33-30 on the season going into a doubleheader against the Lugnuts tomorrow. First pitch for game one is set for 5:05 p.m. with All-Star right-hander Riley Thompson on the mound. Lefty Jack Patterson will start game two.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Cubs and Lugnuts Split Wednesday's Doubleheader 6-4, 6-2 - South Bend Cubs
- Lugs Split Doubleheader in South Bend - Lansing Lugnuts
- Encarnacion Homers in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Witherspoon Homers in 5-3 Loss on Wednesday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Fall 3-2 Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Game Postponed Until Tomorrow - Beloit Snappers
- Rain Postpones Bandits Game in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whiffer's Fitness Club All Set for 2019 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 12 at Bowling Green (Game 64) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Playoff Bound Once Again - Great Lakes Loons
- Cedar Rapids Rallies Past Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bechtold, Martinez Highlight 4-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Slip in Wild Card Race - Kane County Cougars
- Loons Blank Captains to Clinch Playoff Berth - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Beat Bees 10-4 in Road Opener - Burlington Bees
- Participants Announced for Donald Driver Charity Softball Game Presented by Network Health - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers can't complete comeback in slugfest loss to Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Register 20 Hits, Hang on Late for 10-9 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Oh Thank Heaven: Lugnuts Triumph, 11-7 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cubs Drop Opener against Lugnuts 11-7 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- South Bend Cubs Announce 2020 Weekly Promotional Schedule
- Cubs Food Feud Final Five Voting Now Open
- South Bend Cubs Single Game Tickets on Sale March 11
- Register Now for the 2020 Meijer Baseball Academy
- South Bend Cubs Prepare for Upcoming Season with Call for Fan Photos