Dragons Notes for Wednesday
Wednesday, June 12, 2019 l Game # 66
Fifth Third Field l Dayton, Ohio l 7:00 p.m.
Radio: Fox Sports 980 WONE
West Michigan Whitecaps (20-45) at Dayton Dragons (26-39)
RH Robbie Welhaf (2-1, 1.33) vs. RH Lyon Richardson (1-4, 4.56)
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the West Michigan Whitecaps (affiliate of the Detroit Tigers) in the second game of a three-game series. 2019 Season Series: Dayton 4, West Michigan 0 (at Dayton: Dragons 1, Whitecaps 0).
Winning Streak: The Dragons have won nine straight games, tying for the third longest winning streak in franchise history. The club record is 13 straight wins in 2002. The Dragons won 10 straight in 2007 and nine straight in 2007 and 2018. During this winning streak, the Dragons have outscored their opponents 50-28. The last three wins have come by one run.
Last Game: Tuesday: Dayton 5, West Michigan 4. The Dragons trailed 2-0 going to the bottom of the third inning but rallied for two runs in the third and three in the fourth before holding on to win. West Michigan had runners at first and second when Dragons reliever Eddy Demurias notched a game-ending strikeout. Michael Siani was 4 for 4 with a run scored, RBI, and stolen base for the Dragons. Jay Schuyler had two hits and two RBI. Juan Martinez had three hits and scored one run.
During the Dragons nine-game winning streak, they lead the league in team batting (.280) and are fourth in runs scored (50). They are tied for first in the league in stolen bases (21). They are tied for second in the league in doubles (16). On the mound, they rank third in team ERA (2.33) and first in both holds (7), and saves (6).
Dragons starting pitchers in 16 games since May 25 have posted an ERA of 2.90 (71.1 IP, 23 ER) to lower their full-season ERA from 5.07 to 4.72.
Dragons relievers have improved since May 1, posting an ERA of 3.38 (165 IP, 62 ER) and lowering their full-season ERA from 5.70 to 4.40.
Sizzling Siani: Over his last 16 games dating back to May 24, Michael Siani is batting .414 with two home runs, 17 runs scored, and 11 stolen bases to raise his batting average 69 points from .170 to .239. The .414 batting average ranks fourth among all players at the Single-A level (five leagues, 60 teams), the 17 runs is tied for second among the same group of teams, and the 11 stolen bases is tied for second in all of affiliated professional baseball (majors and minors).
In the month of June, Siani leads all of professional baseball (majors and minors) in stolen bases with 10. In June, he is batting .447 to lead the MWL, rank tied for first among all Single-A players (five leagues, 60 teams) and rank tied for third among all players below the Triple-A level (eight leagues, 90 teams). In June, Siani leads the MWL in hits (17), runs (11) and stolen bases (10).
Randy Ventura has hit safely in seven straight games, batting .417 (10 for 24) to raise his average from .138 to .264. He is batting .370 in June to rank fourth in the Midwest League.
Reliever Matt Pidich over his last eight games: 16.2 IP, 0 ER, 9 H, 7 BB, 17 SO.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (Game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Thursday, June 13 (7:00 p.m.): West Michigan RH Wilkel Hernandez (4-5, 4.33) at Dayton RH James Marinan (2-6, 5.09)
Friday, June 14 (7:05 p.m.): Dayton RH Ricky Salinas (2-3, 4.91) at Great Lakes TBA
Saturday, June 15 (7:05 p.m.): Dayton LH Connor Curlis (2-1, 2.45) at Great Lakes TBA
Sunday, June 16 (2:05 p.m.): Dayton RH Jhon De Jesus (1-5, 5.11) at Great Lakes TBA
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Cubs and Lugnuts Split Wednesday's Doubleheader 6-4, 6-2 - South Bend Cubs
- Lugs Split Doubleheader in South Bend - Lansing Lugnuts
- Encarnacion Homers in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Witherspoon Homers in 5-3 Loss on Wednesday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Fall 3-2 Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Game Postponed Until Tomorrow - Beloit Snappers
- Rain Postpones Bandits Game in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whiffer's Fitness Club All Set for 2019 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 12 at Bowling Green (Game 64) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Playoff Bound Once Again - Great Lakes Loons
- Cedar Rapids Rallies Past Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bechtold, Martinez Highlight 4-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Slip in Wild Card Race - Kane County Cougars
- Loons Blank Captains to Clinch Playoff Berth - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Beat Bees 10-4 in Road Opener - Burlington Bees
- Participants Announced for Donald Driver Charity Softball Game Presented by Network Health - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers can't complete comeback in slugfest loss to Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Register 20 Hits, Hang on Late for 10-9 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Oh Thank Heaven: Lugnuts Triumph, 11-7 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cubs Drop Opener against Lugnuts 11-7 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.