Wings Recall Ferraro
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Detroit Red Wings on Monday recalled center Landon Ferraro from the Grand Rapids Griffins.
A native of Trail, British Columbia, Ferraro has spent the last three full seasons and part of a fourth (2009-10) with the Griffins, notching 95 points (46-49 - 95) and 135 penalty minutes in 190 career AHL games. Detroit's first choice (32nd overall) in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, Ferraro has netted 28 points (13-15 - 28) and 44 PIM in 60 appearances this season.
Ferraro, 22, led the Griffins with 24 goals last season, finished third on the team with 47 points (24-23 - 47) and paced the AHL with seven shorthanded points (3-4 - 7). The 6-foot, 182-pound forward ranks among the Griffins' all-time playoff leaders with 11 assists (T9th), one shorthanded goal (T1st), two game-winning goals (T6th) and one unassisted goal (T5th), all captured en route to leading Grand Rapids to its first-ever Calder Cup championship last season.
The Wings will host the Toronto Maple Leafs on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m., when Ferraro could make his NHL debut and become the 142nd Griffins alumnus to play in the NHL. With his recall, there are now 11 members of Grand Rapids' Calder Cup championship team on Detroit's current roster, compared to 10 who remain on the Griffins' roster.
The Griffins will play consecutive road games against the Iowa Wild on Friday (8:05 p.m. EDT) and Saturday (2:05 p.m. EDT) before traveling to Allstate Arena for a match against the Chicago Wolves on Sunday (4 p.m. EDT).
Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2. Single-game tickets for all home games are now available for purchase at all Star Tickets locations, including The Zone, online through griffinshockey.com, or by phone through Star Tickets at (800) 585-3737.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2014
- Chicago Wolves, Learning Express Toys Welcome Inventor Choon Ng for First Rainbow Loom Expo - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Recall Knapp and Makarov from ECHL - Rochester Americans
- Campbell Signed to ATO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Canadiens Assign Tokarski to Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Assign Corban Knight to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Wings Recall Ferraro - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Shapiro Motors 'Turn Back the Clock Night' Set for March 22 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Matt Hackett from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Texas Stars Host Military Appreciation Weekend - Texas Stars
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly - San Antonio Rampage
- 'Dogs Host Heat, Admirals in Three Home Games this Week - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Florida Panthers Recall LW Garrett Wilson from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
- Heat Sign Kyle Ostrow - Abbotsford Heat
- One Game, One Point in Week 24 - Rockford IceHogs
- Albany's Scott Wedgewood Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Canadiens Assign Bournival to Bulldogs for Conditioning - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Dallas Stars Return Goalie Cristopher Nilstorp to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Falcons Return Goaltender Clemente to ECHL's IceMen - Springfield Falcons
- Riley Wetmore, Adam Brace Recalled by Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.